Becoming a MPP, MLA, or MP - How hard is it to run?

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Canadian politics seems to be littered with liars, cheats, con artists, and frauds.

How hard is it to gain a party’s nomination in a riding? I realize to actually become the elected member, you have to be elected, but how do you get your name on the ballot?

What's involved? Does it cost money? I know in the States, folks need a lot of personal capital to run for office, is that the case here?

Also, you find a lot of the time; people keep getting elected due to their party affiliation, even though they are lame duck members that do not add any value to their constituents. Is it impossible to bump a candidate?

Basically what I'm asking is how does an honest decent person who truly wants to serve the people become an elected representative?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Becoming a MPP, MLA,

All you really have to do is join the party of your choice, then run for nomination. It's best to do that when the incumbent for your party (whether they ever won a seat or not) is leaving.

It will cost you some money, but all of the parties have fund raising machines that operate very well. What helps the most is being known in the party and being a good public speaker and organizer.

How hard it is depends a lot on the riding you are in. If you wanted to challenge Bill Blaikie for the NDP candidacy in my riding, you'd be up against a brick wall. If you wanted to run in a riding that's gone Conservative or Liberal for every election since the riding existed, they are likely looking for somebody to run.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Re: RE: Becoming a MPP, MLA,

Reverend Blair said:
It will cost you some money, but all of the parties have fund raising machines that operate very well. What helps the most is being known in the party and being a good public speaker and organizer.

How much money? I would do it, but being only 27 I probably won't be taken seriously.

It's too bad that more younger folks aren't involved. You would think you would want younger people with fresh ideas are are more flexible rather than old guys who are set in their ways. I guess older folks are more networked proving that it isn't what you know, but who you know.

Plus, I'm not so sure about those who are good public speakers. Most are lawyer types and salesmen who like to spin things and twist things. As a scientist, I'd appreciate more people who are analytical and base arguements and decisions on fact and tell you how it is.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
How much money? I would do it, but being only 27 I probably won't be taken seriously.

It depends on the party and the riding. If you're serious, you might want to talk to some people who have run and then go talk to the riding association of your favoured party to see what the deal is.

It's too bad that more younger folks aren't involved. You would think you would want younger people with fresh ideas are are more flexible rather than old guys who are set in their ways. I guess older folks are more networked proving that it isn't what you know, but who you know.

Some parties offer extra incentives for new people, again depending on the riding.

Plus, I'm not so sure about those who are good public speakers. Most are lawyer types and salesmen who like to spin things and twist things. As a scientist, I'd appreciate more people who are analytical and base arguements and decisions on fact and tell you how it is.

As a new candidate you may find yourself being relegated even more to toeing the party line than somebody who has been around for a bit.

Being a good speaker does not have to entail lying. As a scientist you are quite likely used to conveying ideas and answering questions based on what you know. Being a public like me ("mumble, mumble, ummm....mumble, mumble, mumble") would be a definite disadvantage though.

Never Give Up

Apr 27, 2005
Ontario
DasFX said:
Basically what I'm asking is how does an honest decent person who truly wants to serve the people become an elected representative?

If you want honest and decent, check out the Christian Heritage Party. We say what we're about right up front. No guessing on the issues.

You can contact them at the below link to find out if there's a riding association in your area. If not.... a great opportunity to get one going.

:)

click here

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Never Give Up said:
If you want honest and decent, check out the Christian Heritage Party. We say what we're about right up front. No guessing on the issues.

Seeing as I have no Christian heritage, I don't think I'm your man. Thanks anyhow. :)

Never Give Up

Apr 27, 2005
Ontario
DasFX said:
Seeing as I have no Christian heritage, I don't think I'm your man. Thanks anyhow. :)

You don't??? :eek:

Here I've always believed that this country was built on the Judeo-Christian Heritage.

Where do you think the laws that we have operated under since 1867 (and prior as a British colony) came from? :wink:

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Never Give Up said:
Here I've always believed that this country was built on the Judeo-Christian Heritage.

Where do you think the laws that we have operated under since 1867 (and prior as a British colony) came from? :wink:

...from lawmakers who believed in the separation of church and state...while there is still vestiges of canon law within our legal system, they are irrelevant in today's courts of law...

Never Give Up

Apr 27, 2005
Ontario
Vanni Fucci said:
Never Give Up said:

...from lawmakers who believed in the separation of church and state...while there is still vestiges of canon law within our legal system, they are irrelevant in today's courts of law...

We all believe in the separation of church and state!

They are irrelevant because our elected reps. have turned decision making over to non elected judges. Definately a violation of the democratic process!

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
DasFX said:

Technically it cost 0$ but that is misleading. You need to put down $1000 that is held in trust until after the election. It is then refunded to you after but the process can take a long time (think a tax return during tax time.)

Next you will need signatures. This varies on the Province. Generally 200 will get you on the ballot. They must be from people who can vote in the upcoming election.

Then you must get a nomination from a party or run as an independent. You must keep a record of all contributions, election expenses and donations.

All party candidate meetings are held across the riding and generally there will be at least 3-5 big ones. Also local TV and radio will give you free air time to get your message out. Generally, it's the community stations that will be in depth and give a personality profile interview and ask questions that help the voter find out what type of person you are and separate interviews about your platform.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Never Give Up said:
DasFX said:

You don't??? :eek:

What I meant to say is that I am not a Christian. Secondly, this country was built on the heritages and values from all around the world.

Never Give Up

Apr 27, 2005
Ontario
DasFX said:
What I meant to say is that I am not a Christian. Secondly, this country was built on the heritages and values from all around the world.

Nobody said you needed to be a Christian, you can't legislate spirituality. Muslims are not Christian either but in the last election some Muslims found that they could vote for the CHP because the values represented and the platforms were consistent with what they believe.

Up until Trudeau gave us our constitution, our laws were based in the Judeo-Christian heritage. When we became "multi-cultural" (not saying we weren't previously but, officially) we began developing our laws around various cultures. (Rightly so)

I think you're confused about what the CHP is about. Perhaps you should check out the party rather than be turned off by the name.

You should be aware of what other parties than the top 3 stand for, what they would offer to Canadians, could be you're missing the chance to make your vote count for what you believe.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
Never Give Up said:
Perhaps you should check out the party rather than be turned off by the name.

I checked it out, and it was interesting and informative. That being said I don't think my views are aligned with your party. My stance on SSM and abortion differ from that of the CHP.

Thanks once again.

Never Give Up

Apr 27, 2005
Ontario
DasFX said:
I checked it out, and it was interesting and informative. That being said I don't think my views are aligned with your party. My stance on SSM and abortion differ from that of the CHP.

Thanks once again.

Thanks for checking it out. I can handle people disagreeing but they should at least know why they disagree! :cheers:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Can we wander back towards the topic?

Technically it cost 0$ but that is misleading. You need to put down $1000 that is held in trust until after the election. It is then refunded to you after but the process can take a long time (think a tax return during tax time.)

Next you will need signatures. This varies on the Province. Generally 200 will get you on the ballot. They must be from people who can vote in the upcoming election.

Then you must get a nomination from a party or run as an independent. You must keep a record of all contributions, election expenses and donations.

Can you get the nomination of the party first and use their machinery to get the signatures etc?

Scape

Electoral Member
Nov 12, 2004
Yes, as long as it's your name on the balot party workers can go and get the names for you.