Bloggers Rights?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I agree Jay but i would not be surprised if the goverment starts leaning towards that kind of control of the web.They are talking about it in the states already.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Good Ol big brother, always looking out for me. :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Yes, they should. Working for a political campaign, either as a volunteer or a paid worker, has implications far beyond simply endorsing or favouring a party or candidate.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I wouldn't say so. I believe one of the cases in the States actually involves a couple of guys who were working for Dean. I know that there are splits within all three of the major parties here about this issue, although all parties have an "official" policy of disclosure.

The blogosphere is a strange place. Some bloggers hold to journalistic standards like checking facts and sources. Those generally let either let their biasses be known or stick to hard news. Some (for both sides) lie and slander and misrepresent worse than Fox News. In between there are many shades of grey and you never really know what you're reading.

It would be nice if there was some kind of rating standard that could be applied, but how the hell do you do that on the internet? I think the best that can be done is to make campaign and election laws that require campaign workers to disclose who they are working for.

That way people would, at least theoretically, know if they were reading official campaign spin or just a normal blog.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Bloggers Rights?

Jay said:
Good Ol big brother, always looking out for me. :)

Reverend Blair said:
Yes, they should. Working for a political campaign, either as a volunteer or a paid worker, has implications far beyond simply endorsing or favouring a party or candidate.

The Rev is my big brother. :p :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
So you think that it would be okay for people who work for (as in paid employees) the NDP to begin a smear campaign against Stephen Harper without disclosing who they are?

That anonymity leaves room for dirty tricks like pretending to be a Conservative supporter and making your party look stupid.

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
i think anyone actively working for a political campaign should have to disclose that information to everyone they have even the simplest contact with, not just blogging.

then again, i also think campaign funding should be government funded and capped with more focus on town meeting style open debates - all fully televised with toll-free inbound questions from the masses.

why should 100 huntley street get more tv access than our politicians?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm with you on that, FubbleSkag.

Remember the last election when Matin and Layton showed up at a town hall and Harper refused because he didn't want to answer questions from students? I'd like to see him try that if it was nothing but town halls.

I'd also like to see the Greens and maybe the CAP allowed into any official debates. Keeping them out keeps them frm getting exposure, which keeps them from getting votes which is used as an excuse to keep them out of the debates. It's bizarre.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
So you think that it would be okay for people who work for (as in paid employees) the NDP to begin a smear campaign against Stephen Harper without disclosing who they are?.

Well put Rev.

I just have a hard time swallowing it.

Reverend Blair said:
That anonymity leaves room for dirty tricks like pretending to be a Conservative supporter and making your party look stupid.

The current Conservative Party does a good enough job at making themselves look stupid, I can't imagine anyone from the NDP could make it much worse.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
I'd also like to see the Greens and maybe the CAP allowed into any official debates. Keeping them out keeps them frm getting exposure, which keeps them from getting votes which is used as an excuse to keep them out of the debates. It's bizarre.

Should we get rid of official party status?

I'm all for not giving one red cent of public money to any party for campaigning proposes.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I just have a hard time swallowing it.

I told you I'm married, Jay. :lol:
(sorry, couldn't help myself

The current Conservative Party does a good enough job at making themselves look stupid, I can't imagine anyone from the NDP could make it much worse.

Neither can I, but you get the point. If the Conservatives ever did become competent enough not to scare people, something like that could be done quite easily.

Should we get rid of official party status?

No, we should give it to any party that shows themselves to be a legitimate political organization.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Reverend Blair said:
I told you I'm married, Jay. :lol:
(sorry, couldn't help myself

I keep thinking I'm the only one with a dirty mind around here. :)

SirKevin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2005
Toronto

Reverend Blair said:

Heh. Shouldn't have planted that lightbulb, Rev.

Next election I am going to write a few letters to the editor...

Dear Edtitor,
I encourage all Canadians to vote Conservative on [election date]. Given a mandate from the voters, our champion of freedom, Mr. Stephen Harper, will pput healthcare and education back where they belong - the private sector! My party has also presented some unique methods of economic stimulation in the event of a recession. We believe that where a fair deal is reached that will assist our economy, the slavery of select racial minorites will be more than acceptable for a small fee. Vote Conservative to defend Canadian principles!

Sincerly,
The Happy Conservative Volunteer.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's a cool trick. Hunter Thompson used to do it...he pretended he was a Nazi war criminal (never said it outright, just implied it) and sent letters to the editor supporting the Republicans. It was hilarious.

SirKevin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2005
Toronto

Reverend Blair said:
It's a cool trick. Hunter Thompson used to do it...he pretended he was a Nazi war criminal (never said it outright, just implied it) and sent letters to the editor supporting the Republicans. It was hilarious.

LOL - are any of those online? I just tried a few different Googles but couldn't get any.