B.C. parks - secret plans for hotels

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
A report on the morning news today {Feb 22, 2005]said BC govt has been negotiating with foreigners to invest in condos and hotels in BC parks.

A wilderness protection group said that Japanese and American investors will build "80-room hotels and condos in the wilderness"... and that negotiations have been going on behind closed doors for about two years.

At the same time they deny this report, govt is saying that "families and seniors" will get access to out parks this way.

To my way of thinking, thats just not right. Wilderness won't be wilderness when access for everyone is built. Sewage and tramping around by so many people will damage the wilderness. Nature is rugged, and only people who are strong and healthy can access the remote regions,thats the way it is. Thats the way it has to be.

There are allready lots of campgrounds and other areas for the disabled and soft people to enjoy nature... they don't need access to the remaining wilderness too. These remaining natural areas only account for about 10% of B.C.'s lands, and should be left natural.

It was noted that these nations being courted for investment dollars are the nations that do not have any wilderness left, due to development.

I expect we will hear more soon, as this was just a"late breaking story". I have requested more info, and will post it here if it comes.

Karlin

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I would not bet on Gordon Campbell having his back door plan for BC parks happen, especially since there was no public consultation.
The documents were leaked show they planned to put privately financed lodges with long term leases in BC Parks.

Cypress Provincial Park had this problem in the 1990's, the owner of the private ski hill in the park boundaries wanted to take the provincial government to court so they could expand their operation into old growth forest by logging it.

Our parks are for a legacy for everyone, there is more than enough land in british columbia for development, leave our provincial parks alone...I don't need a big mac when I go into a provincial park. Its all about money and greed as usual....hehehehehehehhe well he is in for a fight :p

For more information contact:
Gwen Barlee, Western Canada Wilderness Committee: (604) 683-8220; cell (604) 202-0322
Justin Calof, Sierra Club of Canada, BC Chapter: (250) 386-5255 ext. 231
Eva Riccius, Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society: (604) 685-7445 cell: (604) 812-9366