A New Politics: Baha'i Style

RonPrice
No Party Affiliation
A BASEBALL-CRAZY KID

In October 1956 Don Larsen of the New York Yankees pitched the only perfect game in post-season baseball. Yogi Berra was the catcher.1 That same month and year R. Rabbani advised Mariette Bolton of Orange Australia, in the extended PS of her letter, that it was “much better for the friends to give up saying “Amen.”2 I was just settling into grade seven at the time and, even at this early age, was in love with at least three girls in my class: Carol Ingam, Judy somebody and a dark-haired, physically well-developed beauty whose name I have completely forgotten.3 -Ron Price with appreciation to 1The Opening of the World Series: 2000; for 2Messages to the Antipodes, Shoghi Effendi, editor, Graham Hassell, Baha’i Publications Australia, 1997, p.419; and 3Ron Price, Journal: Canada: To 1971: 1.1, Photograph Number 102.

I was just starting grade seven
and still saying amen
occasionally
when I went to
that Anglican Church
on the Guelph Line
in Burlington Ontario
with my mother and father
and saying grace
just as occasionally.

I watched the World Series,
a highlight of autumn
for a twelve year old
baseball-crazy kid, back then.
And I passed the half-way point
of my pre-youth days1
when I was the only kid
with any connection
with this new world Faith
in these, the very early days
of the growth of the Cause
in the Dominion of Canada.2

It was a new form of politics,
none of that partisan stuff
and it would have an important
part in the poltiical future of
the Dominion of Canada.

1 1953 to 1959: my pre-youth days.
2 In 1956 there were only about 600 Baha’is in Canada. The 400 Baha’is that started the Ten Year Crusade in Canada became 800 by the time I became a Baha’i in 1959. In southern Ontario, from, say, Oakville to Niagara Falls and Windsor, to several points north of Lakes Ontario and Erie in 1956 I was the only pre-youth whom I then knew, or later came to know. There may have been other pre-youth but at this early stage of the growth of the Cause in Canada, year fifty-eight, I was not aware of them.*
*--Canada’s Six Year Plan: 1986-1992, NSA of the Baha’is of Canada, 1987, p.46.

Ron Price
23 October 2000

RonPrice
No Party Affiliation
A BASEBALL-CRAZY KID

In October 1956 Don Larsen of the New York Yankees pitched the only perfect game in post-season baseball. Yogi Berra was the catcher.1 That same month and year R. Rabbani advised Mariette Bolton of Orange Australia, in the extended PS of her letter, that it was “much better for the friends to give up saying “Amen.”2 I was just settling into grade seven at the time and, even at this early age, was in love with at least three girls in my class: Carol Ingam, Judy somebody and a dark-haired, physically well-developed beauty whose name I have completely forgotten.3 -Ron Price with appreciation to 1The Opening of the World Series: 2000; for 2Messages to the Antipodes, Shoghi Effendi, editor, Graham Hassell, Baha’i Publications Australia, 1997, p.419; and 3Ron Price, Journal: Canada: To 1971: 1.1, Photograph Number 102.

and still saying amen
occasionally
when I went to
that Anglican Church
on the Guelph Line
in Burlington Ontario
and saying grace
just as occasionally.

a highlight of autumn
for a twelve year old
of my pre-youth days1
when I was the only kid
with any connection

the Dominion of Canada.

2 In 1956 there were only about 600 Baha’is in Canada. The 400 Baha’is that started the Ten Year Crusade in Canada became 800 by the time I became a Baha’i in 1959. In southern Ontario, from, say, Oakville to Niagara Falls and Windsor, to several points north of Lakes Ontario and Erie in 1956 I was the only pre-youth whom I then knew, or later came to know. There may have been other pre-youth but at this early stage of the growth of the Cause in Canada, year fifty-eight, I was not aware of them.*

Ron Price
23 October 2000

RonPrice
No Party Affiliation
A BASEBALL-CRAZY KID

and still saying amen
occasionally
when I went to
that Anglican Church
on the Guelph Line
in Burlington Ontario
and saying grace
just as occasionally.

a highlight of autumn
for a twelve year old
of my pre-youth days1
when I was the only kid
with any connection

the Dominion of Canada.

Ron Price
23 October 2000