What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an adult?

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
I am a 22-year-old (23 in a couple of months) living in California. I have experienced the frustration of having friends who are 19 and 20 and undergoing inconveniences because of it. I mean, I don't drink, but sometimes I want to go to places where there is alcohol, only for the entertainment. Sometimes you can't even bring people who are under 21. Or, you can, but if they want to drink, they either have to hide, or get kicked out. Come on now, how can you tell me that 19 and 20 year olds are not mature enough to handle beer or wine, but 21 year olds can handle hard drinks? Oh, and by the way, yet you're considered an adult at 18.

Perhaps the most logical drinking age I've heard of is that which most of Canada embraces. If anything, a drinking age of 19 does a great job of reducing inconsistency in one's social standing. Most Americans agree with the 21 law, and most of those who disagree with 21 think it should be 18. Well, the problem with 21 is that it causes problems on college campuses. You may as well raise it to 25 or even 30 if you want to deal with that problem more effectively. And the problem with 18 is that it could pose a threat to high schools. You may as well lower it to 15 to deal with that. Besides, while I am aware that people mature differently (some people are more mature at 15, 16, 17, 18 than others are in their 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s), generally, from my experiences, adulthood begins at 19.

Telling me that I can do a million things at 18 but have to wait 3 years (not even just 1 year) to drink is kinda hypocritical. And if anything, how are 19 and 20 too young?

Here's the breakdown of drinking ages:

Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec: 18
everywhere else in Canada: 19
United States: 21

What do you think?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an ad

I saw on the news a while back Sask was going to lower their age to 18 last may. Has that happened?

Personally I think it should be 17 right across canada.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
RE: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an ad

The drinking age in the Netherlands for how-do-you-call-it light alcoholic drinks (like beer) is 16. I don't know whether that is a good idea (of all EU-countries, the Dutch youth has the record of heaviest drinkers). Personally, I think 17,18 is the best age to legalize the use of alcohol. I put that out of own experience, whereas people around the age of 15,16 seem to be more reckless when it comes to the use of alcohol; it's "cool" to be drunk, to "explore" your own personal borders. I do think 21, like it is in the US, is far too old.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: What should be drinki

I dunno...the drinking age in Saskatchewan is nineteen, I had a fake ID when I was sixteen. I have an uncle who turned 21 three or four days after they dropped the drinking age to 19 in Saskatchewan. Apparently he was pretty peeved.

We consider 18 the age at which people become adults though. To me, if we're going to set an arbitrary limit on the age when people are mature enough to do something, then the second they become an adult is the second they should be able to do whatever other adults do.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Re: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an ad

Well, if you thought 21 was too high, try this: 25. Yep, in India, drinking ages vary by state, between 18 and 25. It is actually 25 in Delhi, I read. I heard that some politicians and interests groups in the US want to raise it to 25 as well. OK, 25 may be barely bearable, if you're going to raise it above that, you may as well bring back prohibition, and we know how useless that is!

All of Canada and the United States should make the uniform age for both adulthood and drinking 19. I am almost 23, and from my experience, 19 is when people start acting like adults, usually at least. However, I wouldn't have anything against under 19s drinking if they stick to beer and wine and do so in the privacy of home with someone who is at least 25 years old.

Of course, even if the drinking age in US dropped to 19, that wouldn't stop the various trips to Tijuana and other points in Mexico, would it? But I don't ever see Mexico enforcing a legal age of 19. They don't even enforce their legal age of 18 - laws are VERY loosely enforced there, if they are enforced at all. But the alcohol there is much stronger anyways, so speaking of Mexico is to speak of a totally different category.

I say let teenagers drink in the privacy of home or in controlled environments, then let them begin their own purchases and club ventures when they turn 19.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

By the way, I was at a party with friends for New Year's Eve at my friend's house in San Francisco. My friend is pretty conservative. He did let people under 21 years of age come to his house and drink, but they had to be at least 18. He had some 17-year-old church friends that he did not invite. But how inconsistent is that for the law, though? I mean, you spend 3 years being legally allowed to do everything but drink even beer or wine? Just imagine that the inconsistency gap can go up from 3 to 7 years if the age is increased to 25?

At least in Ontario, there's only one year of inconsistency (adult at 18, drinking at 19). And in Alberta and Quebec(adulthood and drinking both at 18) or British Columbia (adulthood and drinking both at 19), there is no inconsistency. Canada has some smart laws (not all of their laws are, but some are really smart!!!).

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

When did I have my first alcohol? Believe it or not, 4 yrs old! Of course, that was rubbing alcohol that looked like water (well, it was clear liquid, which I, especially at that innocent age, would mistaken for water). I guess Mom and Dad were asleep at that time. But alcoholic beverage, gee, I don't remember. I think I had my first sip sometime in my early teens, and my first full drink at either 16, 17, or 18. But, I've always been pretty prudent about alcohol. Again, my issue against the drinking age is not about actually drinking (hey, as of now, I'm legal everywhere except Delhi, India, where it is 25), but two other things: principle and difficulty brining younger friends with you to places to play billiards or watch a live band.

I went to Europe when I was 18, but I never took advantage of being legal there. My dad let me have a glass of wine when we were in a restaurant, and I only drank it for 2 reasons: to laugh at the dumb US policies and to cleanse my system (since mild amounts of alcohol are actually healthy, I believe). They served shots of brandy, and my dad let me try, so I did, then spit it back out.

Two years later, in Victoria (BC). I'm 20. For the life of me, I could never understand why 20 is still considered underaged. Or 19 for that matter. Never mind anything younger. But I have a Bud Light there, with my dad's recommendation. Of course, I hated that, too. My dad had a Kokanee, which I sipped. I didn't like that either (I never had a beer I liked). I had 2 sips left but couldn't finish the Bud Light (I hated it that much). That night, I walked down Government St. alone and passed a club. I contemplated going in (I assumed it was for 19 and up only), but didn't. I never was into the club scene, and I was feeling a little shy. A couple of days later, I spent most of the day by myself walking all over Vancouver (I am quite familiar with the area, and know how to use the SkyTrain). Now that I think of it, that was another opportunity to buy lots of alcohol that I didn't take advantage of. The only things I cared about were some not so pleasant changes: a toonie for BC Transit tickets (up from 75 cents when I last used BC Transit at age 15), and needing to dial 604 before the phone number, even when calling between Vancouver destinations. So, yes, I had other things on my mind than alcohol.

My 21st birthday was not marvelous. All I cared about was being with family friends and the difficulties of adjusting to a new life in the university (where I started in January, outside Sacramento, California). I had a couple of drinks. Of course, my parents were there. My dad did not recommend that I drink much. And not once since then did I ever take advantage of being legal (except when I went to Spain that summer, a screwdriver), and another time for a party, but never for personal use.

No matter where else British Columbian politics and society seems to have screws loose, at least they picked what I considered to be the perfect drinking age and age of majority. Of course, now I wonder, was Gordon Campbell 19 or older when he had his DWI?

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

When did I have my first alcohol? Believe it or not, 4 yrs old! Of course, that was rubbing alcohol that looked like water (well, it was clear liquid, which I, especially at that innocent age, would mistaken for water). I guess Mom and Dad were asleep at that time. But alcoholic beverage, gee, I don't remember. I think I had my first sip sometime in my early teens, and my first full drink at either 16, 17, or 18. But, I've always been pretty prudent about alcohol. Again, my issue against the drinking age is not about actually drinking (hey, as of now, I'm legal everywhere except Delhi, India, where it is 25), but two other things: principle and difficulty brining younger friends with you to places to play billiards or watch a live band.

I went to Europe when I was 18, but I never took advantage of being legal there. My dad let me have a glass of wine when we were in a restaurant, and I only drank it for 2 reasons: to laugh at the dumb US policies and to cleanse my system (since mild amounts of alcohol are actually healthy, I believe). They served shots of brandy, and my dad let me try, so I did, then spit it back out.

Two years later, in Victoria (BC). I'm 20. For the life of me, I could never understand why 20 is still considered underaged. Or 19 for that matter. Never mind anything younger. But I have a Bud Light there, with my dad's recommendation. Of course, I hated that, too. My dad had a Kokanee, which I sipped. I didn't like that either (I never had a beer I liked). I had 2 sips left but couldn't finish the Bud Light (I hated it that much). That night, I walked down Government St. alone and passed a club. I contemplated going in (I assumed it was for 19 and up only), but didn't. I never was into the club scene, and I was feeling a little shy. A couple of days later, I spent most of the day by myself walking all over Vancouver (I am quite familiar with the area, and know how to use the SkyTrain). Now that I think of it, that was another opportunity to buy lots of alcohol that I didn't take advantage of. The only things I cared about were some not so pleasant changes: a toonie for BC Transit tickets (up from 75 cents when I last used BC Transit at age 15), and needing to dial 604 before the phone number, even when calling between Vancouver destinations. So, yes, I had other things on my mind than alcohol.

My 21st birthday was not marvelous. All I cared about was being with family friends and the difficulties of adjusting to a new life in the university (where I started in January, outside Sacramento, California). I had a couple of drinks. Of course, my parents were there. My dad did not recommend that I drink much. And not once since then did I ever take advantage of being legal (except when I went to Spain that summer, a screwdriver), and another time for a party, but never for personal use.

No matter where else British Columbian politics and society seems to have screws loose, at least they picked what I considered to be the perfect drinking age and age of majority. Of course, now I wonder, was Gordon Campbell 19 or older when he had his DWI?

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

The drinking age is 19 here in New Brunswick and I think that's a good age. Anything younger than that, I think is too young.

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

The drinking age is 19 here in New Brunswick and I think that's a good age. Anything younger than that, I think is too young.

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

Hey Montana, so I guess this will be off topic, but I've never been to New Brunswick before. What can you tell me about the province that I would want to see? I'm curious. Since it is Atlantic Canada, I imagine it's nice.

But yes, I think 19 is ideal. Under 19, maybe OK in controlled environments, as long as you're in secondary.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

Hey Montana, so I guess this will be off topic, but I've never been to New Brunswick before. What can you tell me about the province that I would want to see? I'm curious. Since it is Atlantic Canada, I imagine it's nice.

But yes, I think 19 is ideal. Under 19, maybe OK in controlled environments, as long as you're in secondary.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com

You know, I had my first alcoholic drink when I was 14. It was under supervision of my parents. They just basically said to me that they could not stop me from drinking whatsoever on a later time, they also thought that I had the right to drink of course some day, but they wanted me to get used to alcohol, or better, how to handle alcohol, under their supervision. I think that was the right decision to do. I have no problems with alcohol whatsoever. However, of all European youth, the Dutch encounter the biggest problems with alcohol (even before the British ...) so I can not guarantee that the approach by my parents always works (as in: most Dutch parents tend to be liberal when it comes to alcohol usage of their children, most view it as something which they should adapt to instead of prohibit)

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com

You know, I had my first alcoholic drink when I was 14. It was under supervision of my parents. They just basically said to me that they could not stop me from drinking whatsoever on a later time, they also thought that I had the right to drink of course some day, but they wanted me to get used to alcohol, or better, how to handle alcohol, under their supervision. I think that was the right decision to do. I have no problems with alcohol whatsoever. However, of all European youth, the Dutch encounter the biggest problems with alcohol (even before the British ...) so I can not guarantee that the approach by my parents always works (as in: most Dutch parents tend to be liberal when it comes to alcohol usage of their children, most view it as something which they should adapt to instead of prohibit)

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I was 14 and in London England on holidays with parents, eating at a hotel. I was not even questioned. Strange eh?

When I was 16 my parents would let me and my brothers have a drink or 2. As long as I did not over due it it was not a problem. They said they knew I would drink and they rather I do it at home where it is safe instead of drinking in the park or at a friends house.

I must say my parents were pretty opened minded and they knew teenagers drink so better do it at home instead of sneaking out to do it.

Hell when my kids are 16 and want a beer(or a joint for that matter) I will give them one. I am too a realist and would rather have my kids drink (or use pot)at home under my supervision. I wont force them to drink but I understand and know teenagers do drink(not all but a lot), so why fight it and make your life more miserable? This way I can teach them responsibility and make sure they do not over do it, just like my "hippie parents" did.

Some people disagree with me but I would rather have my kids try booze and/or pot if they choose to do so when myself or my wife are around. Whats the big deal they are going to try it anyways. If you object or fight it will openly make them more determined to try or experiment, then problems happen, get in a vehicle with a drunk teenager etc. At least if they try or Experiment at home We can keep an eye on them.