"Canada 'not immune' from terrorism, Easter says"

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Canada 'not immune' from terrorism, Easter says

CTV.ca News Staff

The threat of terrorist attacks against Canadian assets exists and Canadian security agencies should do "whatever we can to protect Canadians," Solicitor General Wayne Easter said.

Tabling his annual report on the Canadian Security Intelligence Service in the Commons Thursday, Easter praised efforts to combat terrorism and warned that Canada is not "immune" from the threat.

"We live in a world still scarred by the events of Sept. 11, 2001," Easter said.

"Since then, the world and Canada have taken great strides to enhance security. Terrorist networks have been disrupted, but they are still capable of striking.

"The attacks in Bali, Saudi Arabia and Morocco are proof of this," Easter said, "and that is why it is more important than ever to make sure we do whatever we can to protect Canadians, our country and our friends from the threat of terrorism."

In his report, Easter cited a warning attributed to Osama bin Laden identifying Canada as a terror target that surfaced late last year, and cautioned: "The possibility that chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear weapons could be acquired and used by terrorist groups must be taken seriously."

Easter concluded that Canada had made progress in fighting terrorism including:

the expansion of the list of terrorist organizations;

the freezing of terrorists' assets; and

the cooperation with international security agencies.

But opposition parties say Ottawa isn't doing enough to fight the threat.

In particular, Canadian Alliance critic Kevin Sorenson says the government is moving at a "a snail's pace" in designating terrorist groups, with only 26 listings compared to the more than 200 terrorist organizations identified by the United Nations.

With a report from The Canadian Press
(Originally from http://www.ctv.ca)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I just want to give my opinion: This is rubbish! I might sound a little naïve when I say this, but what threat does terrorism pose to Canada? The reason there is terrorism against the western world is because countries like the United States disrupt almost every middle eastern [and/or] religious country in the world! Atleast in some way; the terrorists, their families, their friends or their country has experience something nasty coming from [mainly] the Americans.

The bottom line is, Canada does not go out to harm these people nor do we condone ungrounded attacks on countries as Iraq is proof of that.

The Canadian Alliance do not deserve the word 'Canadian' in their name. They have this weird mindset that they are somehow American. It's why I let my membership expire (Thank you czardogs for sheading some light on the real canadian alliance).

Andem said:
I just want to give my opinion: This is rubbish! I might sound a little naïve when I say this, but what threat does terrorism pose to Canada? The reason there is terrorism against the western world is because countries like the United States disrupt almost every middle eastern [and/or] religious country in the world! Atleast in some way; the terrorists, their families, their friends or their country has experience something nasty coming from [mainly] the Americans.

Well, I guess we should start holding people accountable.

It's easy to say terrorism only occurs because of America. It's like a rally cry...it's also dogmatic propaganda. And while, yes, some elements are -true-...that does not make it the only reason.

I would first like to say that terrorism occurs because someone has decided a social/political situation is not to thier liking and threats of violence (if not acts of violence) are the best means to an end.

Now...I'm no expert, but I get the impression Canada is rather against violence and terror. Or is that only when the US uses them?

Violence should never be used or tolerated to resolve political/social conflicts. Period.

But if we are going to tolerate it, or hell, even passively look the other way...well, then shut up when whole nations start to use it. Terrorism is a means to an end, so is war...the fundamental idea should be that there are better ways to resolve our differences than murdering one another.

I mean, is the idea that if -you- aren't being targeted that you shouldn't step in to help? Or cooperate with others to prevent violence? If you think not being the object of violence means you don't need to be involved then welcome to 1940's America and isolationism.

I frankly find the idea of vocally debasing war and then passively allowing terrorism to occur a hipocrasy. But maybe Canadians are more like Americans than they think?

Look deep down inside yourself when you disagree with something and truely...truely challenge yourself to see 'why' you don't like something. Is it because you were picked on when you were younger and so now your cheer for the underdog? Is it because you think America has to much power and you don't want to see them get more? Or is it because you really do believe that violence is no solution to the problems life hands you? Know yourself and you are that much more ready to deal with the world on your terms...and less likely to be a puppet.
W-K

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
Re: "Canada 'not immune' from terrorism, Easter says&qu

I look at the issue this way - on a sliding scale Canada would be very near the bottom of potential targets. Not because we are hard to hit - that most certainly is not the case - we are a soft target.

Terrorists would be fools to target a nation like Canada that thumbed its nose at Americas war and foreign policies in the Middle East. their organizations are dispised and vilified already by most in Canada. What little sympathy any Canadians have for their cause would instantly disappear if they nailed us. These are not morons we are dealing with. These are a new breed of terrorists with some major goals in mind.

Countries that need to worry are England, Australia, Spain and Poland for their support of America in Iraq. they upped their target potential by taking part in the attacks.

Our future security lies around maintaining our equal and balanced voice in world affairs. We are the premier middle power and as such have an important role to play in the international arena. As for the assumption that attacks on Iraq and elsewhere will curb terrorism - that is the biggest bunch of nonsense pushed upon the masses. The world today is more dangerous than it EVER has been.

Czardogs...you make one generalization in your above arguement.

You assume terrorism is ONLY a middle eastern/islamic event.

How long do you think it will be before some red neck imbred podunk trailer trash has his only idea in life and it's that terrorism scares the hell outa people and makes them suffer and he decides it's time for those "ungrateful and disloyal" canadians to suffer and be scared?

Terrorism isn't going to just be an event of the here and now...terrorism actually got a strong boost of support when America left Vietnam because it showed the world that unconvential tactics can win you your cause over a more powerful foe.

Consider that...now add to it that a major terrorist group has (allegedly) succeeded in blowing up the WTC...this shows that terrorism is effective at causing harm.

But I am very concerned that one day some poor stupid brainwashed American or British or Polish...or even a right wing Canadian understands this.

Terrorism should not in any way shape or form be condoned because it means any idiot who disagrees with a political/social/religious/economic issue strongly enough may be willing to cause the deaths of many to TRY and prove a point.

I don't know about you but I'm against violence and death...sure sometimes it happens but we need to learn what went wrong in the past to bring us to those points or we are doomed to repeat them.

Communication is the only hope the world has...short of killing everyone who disagrees with you.