Very Interesting article I found: Canadian vs. American

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
"If you step back, it's very hard in objective terms to plot out what are the true differences between Canadians and Americans. Yet there are psychic benefits that come from having a sense of identity.. Humans have a strong capacity to construct identities for themselves. It's largely a social process of construction. Some of it is taking small differences and making them seem bigger. A lot of it comes not from the differences, but from feelings of a sense of identity. It's tough to find things on which to hang an identity for all the English-speaking Canadians. It's not really a language that makes them distinct. It only makes them distinct from French-speaking Canadians. It makes them more like the U.S. to focus on language. Food doesn't work very well because, by and large food in Canada is the same as in the United States. What are you left with? Well there's geography. It's clear that if you live in Canada as opposed to the U.S., there's a border between the two. There aren't a lot of things onto which you can pin a distinctively Canadian culture, other than growing up and learning that you're Canadian and not American. It's identity by negation rather than affirmation." - Dr. Mark Snyder (Canadian), Head of Psychology at University of Minnesota

Canadian Nationalism & anti-Americanism go hand in hand. In Canada, it is difficult to find a nationalist who can promote Canada without demoting the United States. In essence Canada defines itself in contrast to the United States. This isn't surprising of course, considering Canada's geographic position and the fact that 90% of Canada's population is within 120 kilometers (75 miles) of the US border. The same can be said for other smaller countries, near larger more influential countries. For example, New Zealand defines itself in contrast to Australia, Ireland in contrast to England, Korea in contrast to China, etc. To everyone else in the world, except Canadian nationalists, Canada and the United States, more than any other two countries in the world, are virtually indistinguishable. Canada and the United States both boast the 'longest undefended border in the world', but this is a Canadian nationalists worst enemy. The border is artificial, a political line not defined by natural barriers, linguistic or cultural differences. The less defined the border is, the less defined Canada is, hence, the less Canada is 'not American'. This is why many Canadian nationalists oppose trade agreements such as NAFTA. Ideas which would help Canada prosper, such as currency, military & customs unions with the US, go against the very fabric of a Canadian nationalist. No matter how economically advantageous these plans are to the population of Canada (and the US) as a whole, it does not help keep a well defined border.

Canadians indeed do have an "identity crisis". All people need to have a sense of belonging, a feeling that they are a part of something progressive, unique, and proud. The team spirit in Canada, however, is a muddled one, because of this massive Goliath which directly or indirectly controls everything from Canada's economy to its culture. Thus, Canadian nationalists have to go out of their way to show that "I AM CANADIAN", or "NOT AMERICAN", even though in almost every way, just like all other Canadians, they are American - from the language they speak, to the food they eat, to the sports they play, and the entertainment they watch.

An article done by a Canadian columnist, entitled "Oh, Canada! Silent patriotism not enough anymore" observantly points out, how American culture is OUR culture, and that if it weren't for the Canadian governments spending, telling us how we're so different, we would surely make the natural progression to a North American reunification. The writers conclusion obviously differs from UNA's, in that he believes we need to be more patriotic, to fight against Americanization, but the points still stands.

There are of course many differences between Canadians and Americans, but there are few, if any, national differences. All the major differences we find between Canada and the United States are regional. For example, the people of Arkansas when compared with the people of British Columbia are vastly different (in North American terms). They speak with a different accent, they have different customs, cuisine, and cultures. In short if you put the average British Columbian in the middle of Arkansas, everyone would know that this person is not from Arkansas. However, put that same person in Washington State, and no one would know he's not from Washington. Seattle and Vancouver are virtually identical compared to a city like Little Rock. The same can be said when comparing Manitoba and Minnesota to Newfoundland, Ontario and Michigan compared to Wyoming, the Maritime provinces and New England states compared to Yukon (or Alaska). Quebec of course is unique in the continent. Overall, the differences between the United States and Canada are regional, not national. A book that was written in 1981 entitled "The Nine Nations of North America" points out the regionalism of North America. This book is a prediction of the breakup of North America into nine distinct nations, which seems unlikely now. However, it illustrates how North America is better grouped into regions which ignore current political boundaries (the exception being Quebec).

Canadian nationalists will point to differences in medical care, gun control, criminal punishment, and immigration policy. However, all these differences are in how we are governed, not who we are. When opinion polls are done in Canada and the United States, the majority of respondents are in favor of tougher gun control. Powerful lobbies like the NRA, have put a halt to most drastic actions in the United States. The same can be said for capital punishment. In both countries the majority of polled respondents are in favor of capital punishment, yet the Liberal government in Canada has outright refused to even consider legislating it, whereas in the US, the individual states decide whether they are to have capital punishment or not (37 out of 50 of them do).

Canadian nationalists will also claim: 'We are bilingual and diverse, not unilingual and homogeneous', 'We are peace keepers, not world police', 'We are socially compassionate, not intolerant and harsh', 'We have a more global perspective, not an introverted American one'. In reality, as most Canadians know, for the most part Canada is not bilingual. French may be the second official language in Canada, but most of English Canada can say little more than 'Bonjour'. The myth that the United States is homogenous, goes back to the belief by many nationalists, that Canada is a multicultural country whereas the US is a melting pot. Indeed Canada is multicultural, but so is the United States (refer to "Similarities & Differences" page under 'Ethnic groups', for a comparison). There are in fact more ethnic groups in New York city, than any other city in the world. The reference to socially compassionate is an implicit claim of Canadian moral superiority. Yet again, it is not a truth. In reality, the United States donates more, publicly and privately, to the needy than any other country, including Canada. The United States was born of philanthropists. In actuality, that is one of the unique differences that we do see in the United States. When it comes to policing the world, it depends on what you view as 'policing'; but in any event, from the Persian Gulf, to Somalia, to Kosovo, Canada has been there, right by the US' side, supporting both politically and militarily any and every conflict the US has gotten into in the past 25 years. In fact, Canada has traditionally urged such police actions even more than the US. Finally, while Canadians may view themselves as a nation with a more international perspective, according to Ipsos-Reid survey, less than one-fifth of Canadians can even name all the countries in the G-8 (which Canada is a member of).

So, after all that is said, what we come down to is the smallest of small differences, which most visitors from other countries would laugh at. Nationalists make trivial differences bigger than they are. Here are some examples: "We pronounce Z, 'zed' not 'zee'!", "Hockey is our national sport!" (which is obviously popular in the US as well since 80% of NHL teams are located there); "We spell color with a U!" (unlike the original Latin spelling, care of the British of course); and "Canadian beer is better than American beer!". Is this what defines a country: beer, pronunciation, and spelling differences?.

You can also read it at http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/antination.htm

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Yeah, I've read that before. Its right on the money as well. Although with the sports bit, a lot of those sports were created in Canada, and some are still a true canadian game, so I think thats one point I'd differ on, but its amazing how dead on he was when he wrote that eh?

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
WHAT A DISGUSTING ARTICLE!!!!!!!! I READ PART OF THAT WEB SITE, AND HE WANTS CANADA TO JOIN AMERICA AND MERGE!!! WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER OUR COUNTRY TO AMERICANS!

kuzak

Aug 3, 2002
WHAT A DISGUSTING ARTICLE!!!!!!!! I READ PART OF THAT WEB SITE, AND HE WANTS CANADA TO JOIN AMERICA AND MERGE!!! WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER OUR COUNTRY TO AMERICANS!

(SORRY ABOUT DOUBLE POST)

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
eww. whoever wrote that web site should not be allowed in canada. who are they to encourage merging with the united states? crazy.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
On the surface his arguement is sound. That is if America was truly what he believes it to be. This writer has an utopian view of the US. He seems to have completly overlooked everything that makes America somewhere to avoid.

America has a failing social system, corruption is rife, racial tensions are clearly evident, no democracy what so ever, highest murder rate in the world, over 1 million are imprisoned, employs the death penalty against the mentally ill and retarded, and I could go on and on.

America is a country that stands for greed and glutony, not society and civilized culture. Many hawkish American power brokers still believe in Americas manifest destiny to rule the world. America projects its power on the weak and tears down their democratic rights through abuses of the IMF, WTO, World Bank etc for their own corporate agenda. America refused to sign such human advancing deals as Kyoto, Banning of Land Mines, International war crimes court and countless UN motions.

The single worst thing for Canada would be signing away our freedom to be replaced with Americas morally corrupt version of freedom. No thanks to that, I would rather have Canada on a bad day rather than America any day.

JSz

Nominee Member
Jun 10, 2002
Richmond Hill
I agree with czardogs. The american system is full of lies, deceit, immoral acts and puts up a mask to the rest of the world. They attack weaker, small nations either economically or militarily. Iraq is a small example. So is the taliban, which was given power in the region by America.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I really dont like that animation on the front page of that site. How rude! He's defacing OUR flag. Who is he to call himself Canadian. One day he will learn, you'll see. I would never be proud to be a citizen of a merged America. A United North America is a sick dream by someone with some serious problems.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
A United North America is a sick dream by someone with some serious problems.

You must be talking about every politician who has served as part of the Federal Government for the last twenty years. (Exception, Paul Hellyer) This is their policy as written into law. Most Canadians are so blissfully un-aware as these deals are made in private behind barbed wire fences or in mountain retreats protected by a thousand troops. What about freedom of information in Canada? Oh yeh, forgot what country I was talking about for a second, we dont have any real access to information in Canada regarding these deals. Not only do we not get to vote on these back room deals we are just flat out lucky to know who exactly brokered the deal and what the terms are!

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Canada will never join the united states, who made that site is a MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That site should be taken down now.

Jonas

Mar 24, 2002
Leipzig
In Europe, we don't really care so much about the americans. They try to run the European Union, and now that Russia is a junior member of the EU things could go downhill lol... Overall, though, Germany has control of the EU...

BUT, the Americans can probably take that away from us at anytime, and even though we have our european customs, americanism is on it's way in.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
Jonas said:
In Europe, we don't really care so much about the americans. They try to run the European Union, and now that Russia is a junior member of the EU things could go downhill lol... Overall, though, Germany has control of the EU...

BUT, the Americans can probably take that away from us at anytime, and even though we have our european customs, americanism is on it's way in.

That is very interesting. How do you feel that long standing european customs are being eroded? Do you mean in the similar fashion that is happening in Canada? I mean the buying up of our businesses, our markets flooded with american goods (especially agriculture), american brands, television, radio, movies, etc. Americanism is indeed on its way.

Jonas

Mar 24, 2002
Leipzig
Well, in Germany, we do have pretty much control of the country. But the Americans do have power over us. It is not such the case in other European countries. For example. the brits embrace the americans.. They seem to enjoy it (maybe they do, maybe they don't. that's just how it looks).

We still have our corporations for the most part. But recently, Daimler, a German auto company bought Chrysler. We have Volkswagen, Siemens, etc. But American culture has definately sunk in. I dont think American culture is "moral", I dont like it for the most part.

But back to the point, we have american brands, television, movies. And american music.

Jonas

Mar 24, 2002
Leipzig
But lets not forget, many americans drive vw's, bmw's, mercedes and audi! So they drive our autos and they use our technology (the man on the moon was our technology, yet we never get credit for it).

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
Jonas said:
(the man on the moon was our technology, yet we never get credit for it).

So very true, the same goes for the A-bomb, it was German and Canadian scientists who had the most to contribute, but if you watch an american documentary or read an american book on the subject they leave those details out completely. that brings me to my next point. Americans are so isolated and lied to that they believe everything they are told. (not all of them)

I will use my brother and his kids for example. They live in California, and have for six years. When I tell them what is going on in Canada and I mean major isssues, they have not heard a peep. The same thing goes for international events. If americans would open their eyes to what their gov is doing they (the educated ones) would speak out in protest. Problem is america is so isolated and inward looking that would be difficult.

Another great example is sept 11. Right afterwards the americans starting asking WHO did this and how can we kill them, instead of WHY did someone do this and what can we do to prevent someone from wanting to do this again. Now almost a full year later, they are still asking the wrong questions. They just dont get it.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Very very true. I could not agree more with American blindness. They still don't know the reasoning behind the Sept 11 attacks... I'm not an expert, but I have a general idea. In Canada, we have more of an international view. The United States is moving pretty closely to the old soviet ways. Infact, they are about to hit the spot.

The United States is all about ME ME ME. They don't give a damn about international issues.

As for technology. Rocket science is all based on German research and technology pretty much stripped from them at the end of WWII. The soviets were able to grab some german scientists (who were honourary SS officers) and likewise with the United States. In the end, when you look it at. The germans were so close to mastering the technology to blow up England with rockets, and a few years later, would have been able to get to the moon... But they lost the war, and everything else.

Atleast they still have the best cars in the world lol.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I found this text very interesting.
Be honest, Canadians ARE Americans, they just don't have the same name. However, Quebecois are not Canadians and not Americans. I'm glad to be Québécois. And I can't imagine how you can be proud of being what you are, Canadian! Canada is just a fake concept. One day, Québec will separate and then you'll be assimilated by the US. Think to it.

Good kiss from Montréal...

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Anonymous, please register your name so I know who im talking to..

But as for your comments. To a degree, I agree with you. A lot of Canadians are somewhat like Americans.. But I personally believe, the average Canadian living outside of the center of urban life are completely different to Americans to their values and morals.

But your comments about quebec are completely wrong. Quebec _could_ NOT survive outside of Canada. You are one of a kind, not even real french (as in france) like quebec. I dont deny you have your own culture. But I have no respect for people who have no respect for their country.

I personally dont consider myself Canadian. Yes, I am a citizen of this country, but the bottom line is, I dont feel at home anymore in Canada. We are letting too many immigrants in and with that said, I think its pathetic that we have a synthetic culture.

de-Gaules

Aug 13, 2002
Montréal
You can't believe how Québec CAN easily live without Canada. Check this. http://www.finances.gouv.qc.ca/en/documents/pdf/pfq_en.pdf
and this : http://www.mri.gouv.qc.ca/english/bibliotheque/index.html

The text you showed us clearly say that without Québec, Canada is very similar to USA. It's good for you to keep us because it gives you another distinction. Unfortunately, it's bad for us. I know you understand. If you were in our place, what would you think? Honnestly.

But don't think I dislike Canadians. I realy like them. But if you don't consider yourself as a Canadian, I can definitely say that I AM NOT Canadian... so what do I do here? I don't know. :wink:
Ciao!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Bah. If you know it or not, the federal government owns a lot of quebec. If they left Canada, the fact remains, most of Quebec's economy would leave to Ontario and possibly out west. The economic instability in Quebec without the Canadian federal government would be astonishing. Seperation from Canada would definately be a big mistake for Québec, but admitting it takes research, being informed and a comprehensive knowledge of business and economy. Not only that, if quebec left, do you think the indians would let the province of quebec get away with removing their status for benefits or even seperating the province from a country in which they claim they have the rights to the land?

Uh uh.