Paul Martin = Liberal Fool!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Martin's Career

The Right Honourable Paul Martin, P.C., M.P., the Member for LaSalle—Émard, has indicated that he wishes to continue to work with the party to better the future of Canada — but I don't see why there is a thread dedicated to him here; he is no longer the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada in any capacity.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Paul Martin = Liberal

ahhh argument without substance... seems thats how it's been on the forum lately. Might be something in the air...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Paul Martin is sixty eight years old.

He has had a successful career in business. As far as I can tell, he is not intending to continue past this term in the house. My point is, you are a bit late.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Heh, agreed, #juan.

Besides, even if his career is in fact reaching its end (which isn't too bad, considering he is past the age of retirement in most Government jobs), the fact of the matter is that not only does he have his own business, but he is a Member of Parliament, but he is one of Her Majesty's Privy Councillors, he was a Minister of the Crown, and for a time, he was the Prime Minister of Canada.

Whether or not he had the best term as head of government, that's success.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Paul Martin had to be the most resounding political disappointment to the Liberal Party. After a decade and a half of campaigning and working behind the scenes to unseat his boss he proved himself unworthy of the job.

I did not like Chretien at all and as a Conservative I expected Martin to be an improvement over Mr. Pepper spray, but heck was I wrong.

He made Stephen Harper look like Mr. Charisma when it came to dealing with the media. He turned into a great red faced bowl of Jello when cornered on adscam.

In the end even Rick Mercer showed disdain for Martin and the Liberals after that inflammatory and insulting Campaign commercial that painted our military as some sort of hybrid of a updated 3rd Reich. It truly illustrated to what extent the Federal Liberal Government was willing to go to hang onto power.

Watching Martin waffle as Peter Mansbridge bent over backwards to try and help him out of this mess of dung was nothing short of amusing. I'm sure Jean Chretien was watching with delight as were Alan Rock, and Sheila Copps.

Yes Paul Martin was the Captain of a ship of fools who held power for far too long. No Party, be it Conservative or Liberal, should be at the helm that long. To borrow a catch phrase. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

The Liberals held absolute power for too many years.

Paul Martins ambition and arrogance became his undoing.

Best
M

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Paul Martin was doomed soon as he became Prime Minister because of the mess and scandals Jean Chretien left behind.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed, Johnny Utah — I think that the Right Honourable Paul Martin, P.C., M.P., the Member for LaSalle—Émard, would have had a much better chance at re-election had his Government of Canada not been plagued by the corruption which had pervaded the Government during the term of the Right Honourable Jean Chrétien, P.C.; a most unfortunate turn of events for Mr. Martin.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Paul Martin = Liberal Fool!

Retired_Can_Soldier said:
The fact that he was finance Minister during this debacle didn't help either. No matter what Gomery said.

Cheers
M

And with this being the case we can safely add to Martin's resume...."almost broke up the country because we stole tax payers money at the expense of Quebec and Confederation."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My opinion,

is that Paul Martin was screwed by Chretien. We were never told why Martin was fired from Chretien's cabinet. Speculation is that Martin was questioning the sponsership goings on. As finance minister, Martin took over the biggest financial mess in Canadian history that was left by Mulroney's crowd.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
You mean Trudeau...

Some people consider Trudeau's economic policies to have been a weak point. Inflation and unemployment marred much of his term. When Trudeau took office in 1968 Canada had a debt of $18 billion, when he left office in 1984, that debt stood at $200 billion - an increase of 1100%

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Juan, yes Paul Martin was screwed by Jean Chretien. Chretien was one bitter hateful person and Martin didn't stand a chance. Which is why the Conservative may hold on for a while because the scent of Chretien is still in the Liberal Party and that could turn voters off for a couple of years.

Chretien did to the Liberal Party what Mulroney did to the Conservative Party when he left office, leaving a broken party taking years to fix.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes, and then, somehow, the next Government of Canada, after the reign of the Conservative Party of Canada, inherited a debt that was more than $400 billion higher. I don't think that the late Right Honourable Pierre Trudeau, P.C., can be blamed for that.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
#juan said:
My opinion,

is that Paul Martin was screwed by Chretien. We were never told why Martin was fired from Chretien's cabinet. Speculation is that Martin was questioning the sponsership goings on. As finance minister, Martin took over the biggest financial mess in Canadian history that was left by Mulroney's crowd.

You can believe that if you like, but the truth was that Martin wasn't being a good Liberal and towing Jean's Party Line. He was doing everything he could to Unseat his boss.

Frankly Juan you can try and paint Martin asa victim, but he wasn't that at all.

If he knew about Adscam and was fired for it then he lied to the Canadian people. If he didn't know about it as Finance Minister as he claims. Then by gosh he is incompetent.

Either way he was a failure as a leader.
Cheers
M

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How could anyone know, for sure, that Mr. Martin knew about the problems occuring with the Sponsorship Program? One of the reasons that the Honourable Justice John Gomery exonerated Mr. Martin, was due to the fact that Mr. Chrétien had routed the entire program through the Office of the Prime Minister, bypassing the safeguards and checks of the Ministry of Finance and the Treasury Board.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Johnny Utah said:
Chretien did to the Liberal Party what Mulroney did to the Conservative Party when he left office, leaving a broken party taking years to fix.

Bang on Johnny! But had Paul been a little less a wimp and a little more a leader he might of had a chance.

Cheers
M

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Jay wrote:
You mean Trudeau.

I completely forgot. Trudeau held a gun to Mulroney's head and forced him to run a forty or fifty billion dollar deficit every year he was in office. Damn that Trudeau.