Ontario's Debt to GDP ratio is FANTASTIC

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
So lucky to live in such an opulent province.

Wynne defends ‘stable’ debt-to-GDP ratio ahead of more spending

Ahead of a provincial budget that is expected to go billions into the red, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is trying to shore up confidence in her province’s books.

“Our debt-to-GDP remains stable, and it is below 40 per cent,” Wynne told reporters on Monday. “Those are the metrics that we are focused on.”

In early March her Finance Minister Charles Sousa announced an about-face for the Liberal government. Just three months shy of a provincial election, the promise of balanced budgets for two more years went out the door. In its wake, the government said it could table a deficit that approaches $8 billion.

What that means for the province’s debt-to-GDP ratio is an open question. The ratio is often used to measure the sustainability of a government’s finances and, in Ontario’s case, it hasn’t returned to pre-recession levels.

As the recession hit in 2008-09 Ontario’s debt-to-GDP ratio was 27.9 per cent. In 2014-15 it peaked at 39.3 per cent and it’s projected to sit at 37.3 per cent for the current year.

If the Liberals can justify the spending to their creditors he said the government “should be fine” but if they can’t then Ontario’s interest rates “may start to creep up a little bit.”

Asked if that might be in the cards, Sousa said “we have a lot of arrows in our quiver to determine how to proceed forward.”

Following the money will help determine if the government’s spending makes sense, Moffatt said. For example he said if its in areas that will spur economic growth, like infrastructure spending, then the deficit could be rationalized.

He said in order for people to get on board, the budget will have to answer the question: “why is this new spending worth going into debt for?”

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/27/wynne-defends-stable-debt-to-gdp-ratio-ahead-of-more-spending/

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
What a silly thread title. Not many will believe it.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
CONtario (we owe...we owe!) is won of the TREE MOOSE'T FRAGILE ECONOMEEKS IN THE WHIRLED WRITE NOW
:)

*I put it in code because I don't want to wreck MF's Easter, his rose colored glasses won't pick this up at all!*

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Spread right out
;)
The Fan part, them spinning blades is easy to see...the T, that's for impackT, the ass part...well you can guess someone was walking backwards...trying to get in without paying, no doubt...

The stick part...
:)
Well, just look at the far wall.

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The Ontario government debt is the amount of money the Government of Ontario borrowed from the general public, institutional investors and from public-sector bodies. As of September 30, 2013 the Ontario government's total debt stood at CDN$288.10 billion.[4]

The interest on the debt was CDN$10.3 billion for the 2012-2013 Ontario budget at an effective interest rate of 4%.[5] It represented 8.4% of the total budgetary expenses and is the fastest-rising cost for the Ontario government.[6]

The Debt-to-GDP ratio in 2015 was 39.4%, the highest in Ontario's history.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_government_debt

We are so screwed. ( the whole province should be screaming RAPE!!! )

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You are confused.

Most developed countries have a Debt to GDP ratio of around 80%.

Ontario's is currently 37% and on a downward trend.

This means that it appears we have a large debt, but that is only because our economy is so big.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Yes, comparing us as favourable to say, venezuela or zimbabwe or california or illinois...
( where everyone is LEAVING!!!)
;)
way to go...

in genearal:

Canada has become the world’s poster child for dangerous debt, and data this week should shed light on how bad that addiction is
http://business.financialpost.com/n...roblem-gets-helping-hand-from-economic-boom-1

Canada's economic growth has come at a price — its debt level is now highest in the developed world
Economic growth has coincided with Canadians and their various levels of government taking on substantial debt
http://business.financialpost.com/b...t-level-is-now-highest-in-the-developed-world

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You're confused again.

Those places (save maybe California) don't have a good debt to GDP ratio like we do.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Yes listing KNOWN liebrrel sh!t holes is exactly the proof I need of where YOU are heading.
;)

Ontario’s finances are still burdened by massive debt that continues to grow and must be serviced. Despite the historically low interest rates, Ontario in 2017-18 is expected to spend $11.6 billion servicing its debt.

The opportunity cost of this money adds up over the years. Since 1990, the total sum of debt interest paid by Ontario on its provincial debt sums up to approximately $254 billion. The growth rate of the province’s net debt has averaged 8 per cent a year since 1990 and the net debt for 2017-18 is estimated at $311.9 billion with the gross debt at about $341 billion.
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blo...g-spree-despite-looming-economic-storm-clouds

Interest rates are at their lowest and can only go up..housing is down almost 20 percent year on year from last year. The "new" jobs are all part timers...

lol

Ontario is DOOMED!!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You are confused.

Most developed countries have a Debt to GDP ratio of around 80%.

Ontario's is currently 37% and on a downward trend.

This means that it appears we have a large debt, but that is only because our economy is so big.

ROFLMFAO. Again.
DO you invent these tall tales yourself or does the party give them to you to put out?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Now everyone (else) knows that depends on what you spent the money on and the interest rates you pay on the debt doesn't it?
;)
not to mention whether you are using the world's reserve currency or not...

So, smarty sock, is Ontario ( or even Canada's) money the world's reserve currency ?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
So lucky to live in such an opulent province.

Wynne defends ‘stable’ debt-to-GDP ratio ahead of more spending

Ahead of a provincial budget that is expected to go billions into the red, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is trying to shore up confidence in her province’s books.

“Our debt-to-GDP remains stable, and it is below 40 per cent,” Wynne told reporters on Monday. “Those are the metrics that we are focused on.”

In early March her Finance Minister Charles Sousa announced an about-face for the Liberal government. Just three months shy of a provincial election, the promise of balanced budgets for two more years went out the door. In its wake, the government said it could table a deficit that approaches $8 billion.

What that means for the province’s debt-to-GDP ratio is an open question. The ratio is often used to measure the sustainability of a government’s finances and, in Ontario’s case, it hasn’t returned to pre-recession levels.

As the recession hit in 2008-09 Ontario’s debt-to-GDP ratio was 27.9 per cent. In 2014-15 it peaked at 39.3 per cent and it’s projected to sit at 37.3 per cent for the current year.

If the Liberals can justify the spending to their creditors he said the government “should be fine” but if they can’t then Ontario’s interest rates “may start to creep up a little bit.”

Asked if that might be in the cards, Sousa said “we have a lot of arrows in our quiver to determine how to proceed forward.”

Following the money will help determine if the government’s spending makes sense, Moffatt said. For example he said if its in areas that will spur economic growth, like infrastructure spending, then the deficit could be rationalized.

He said in order for people to get on board, the budget will have to answer the question: “why is this new spending worth going into debt for?”

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/27/wynne-defends-stable-debt-to-gdp-ratio-ahead-of-more-spending/

Dear Dimwits,

Hi!

I noticed your post, and I read through it (as far as I could, which means the first line)

I'm afraid that you require a small dose of reality. Luckily for you, I'm here to provide for you.

Ontario currents owes 315 billion dollars, and pays out 11.2 billion dollars a year in interest payments. You will notice that the 11.2 billion dollar figure is more than the projected deficit of 6.7 billion dollars, so basically the gov't is borrowing money to pay part of the interest on the debt, increasing both the debt and the interest payments. This is the very definition of "how to get yourself in financial trouble"

This is insanity.

But wait!

It gets worse!

Interest rates are going up.

Ontario owes $315 billion and keeps borrowing. Here’s what will happen if interest rates rise | National Post

Thus debt servicing costs will rise even faster.

Debt is a monster, insidious, ever expanding, dangerous. It will eat your fiscal health.

Current spending levels are simply unsustainable.

Deficit spending should only be considered in time of war or recession.

What Trump, Trudeau, Wynne are doing is throwing our children (and grandchildren) in to a Pit of Doom, where gov't services dissolve. and the ravenous Tax Monster devours at will.

This requires a level of childish irresponsibility that is simply beyond belief.

I hope you will think about this.

You're welcome.

With Love,

Your Fairy Godfather,

Colpy

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Dear Dimwits,

Hi!

I noticed your post, and I read through it (as far as I could, which means the first line)

I'm afraid that you require a small dose of reality. Luckily for you, I'm here to provide for you.

Ontario currents owes 315 billion dollars, and pays out 11.2 billion dollars a year in interest payments. You will notice that the 11.2 billion dollar figure is more than the projected deficit of 6.7 billion dollars, so basically the gov't is borrowing money to pay part of the interest on the debt, increasing both the debt and the interest payments. This is the very definition of "how to get yourself in financial trouble"

This is insanity.

But wait!

It gets worse!

Interest rates are going up.

Ontario owes $315 billion and keeps borrowing. Here’s what will happen if interest rates rise | National Post

Thus debt servicing costs will rise even faster.

Debt is a monster, insidious, ever expanding, dangerous. It will eat your fiscal health.

Current spending levels are simply unsustainable.

Deficit spending should only be considered in time of war or recession.

What Trump, Trudeau, Wynne are doing is throwing our children (and grandchildren) in to a Pit of Doom, where gov't services dissolve. and the ravenous Tax Monster devours at will.

This requires a level of childish irresponsibility that is simply beyond belief.

I hope you will think about this.

You're welcome.

With Love,

Your Fairy Godfather,

Colpy
Mr Harper increased the federal debt more than that.

$150 billion?

I don't even know anymore, its too depressing,