Next Year Students cant claim school books on their tax return?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Wtf???

Why would the Liberal government remove the option for students to claim their school textbooks on next years income tax return? Whats the big deal?

So if your in Ontario now and your in a family that makes less than $50,000 is this the governments attempt to further punish people whose families make more than $50,000?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
So question, if the tax credit from textbooks arent the same as upfront aide, then what kind of upfront aid will kids who come from families that make more than $50,000 receive, to compensate for the loss the tax credit?

Im basically getting this from the article, that they are going to make it easier for kids from families with less than 50gs to go to school but make it slightly harder for kids from families who make more than 50gs?

Free tuition for low-income students squeezes middle class, critics say - New Brunswick - CBC News

Following federal, Ontario lead

The province says it's following the direction of the federal and Ontario governments.

Ottawa is eliminating the education and textbook tax credits in 2016, although credits carried forward from years before 2017 will still be claimable in 2017 and subsequent years.

The federal tuition tax credit will remain unchanged.

The New Brunswick government says all accumulated tax credits that have not yet been used will be honoured.

The Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario, an agency of the province, says the concepts of tax credits and income tax refunds don't carry the same punch as free tuition.

"Students don't see the tax credit that is years down the road," said Martin Hicks

"So to take that money and move it up front … and say, 'We're going to talk to you about how you don't have to pay money in the first place,' that's way better."

"Post-secondary education is really the best leg up for anyone. You get better jobs. You earn more. You're healthier. You cost the government less over your lifetime," said Hicks.

Without financial assistance, low-income students would be more likely to opt out, which just perpetuates the cycle, he said.

Ontario's free tuition policy begins in 2017.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Thats not right. I went to University full time where I would finish just in time to hop a bus and subway and make it to my job downtown where I worked until 1am, 5 days a week. I paid cash for all my books, which I was proud to be able to do. But, every year was tough for me, even paying for my TTC tickets was hard at times. Not sure what the Liberals are thinking! must be nice to come from money and have no idea what students have to go through to make it here. Nothing should be free, but the Liberals are making life hard. This new CPP hike man is not sitting well with keeping jobs or creating new ones!! What are these people doing!! Giving millions to millionaires to built religious site in Ottawa, while the future adults of Canada have a hard time affording McDonald.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
There is a finite amount of money, Johnny. If I give a segment of the public a tax break, I have to make it up somewhere else.

A small example. This isn't federal, but with the Ontario Hydro rate reduction, there will be a shortfall. The government has to make that up from somewhere. It was announced that future taxpayers would have to help pay down the cost. Be warned! The provincial government will quietly change other things in the mean time to claw something back.

Now you know why the longer you live, the less trusting you will be of any level of government. Year after year of lies will have their effect. You start out believing politicians, but as the years pass, the number of times you'll get screwed over gets burned into your memory. And it really doesn't matter who is governing.

Sounds cynical, doesn't it? Yep, but it's twue.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So question, if the tax credit from textbooks arent the same as upfront aide, then what kind of upfront aid will kids who come from families that make more than $50,000 receive, to compensate for the loss the tax credit?

Im basically getting this from the article, that they are going to make it easier for kids from families with less than 50gs to go to school but make it slightly harder for kids from families who make more than 50gs?

Free tuition for low-income students squeezes middle class, critics say - New Brunswick - CBC News

Sounds about right. People that work and pay taxes don't deserve any freebies from the government. That is reserved for those that don't pay taxes to start with.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
The middle class always carries the mail when the tax and spend Liberals gain power.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Sounds about right. People that work and pay taxes don't deserve any freebies from the government. That is reserved for those that don't pay taxes to start with.

Its like that with the carbon tax credits too. People who make less than the middle class receive a higher rebate.

Its almost like the liberals are trying to encourage the welfare mentality

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Its like that with the carbon tax credits too. People who make less than the middle class receive a higher rebate.

Its almost like the liberals are trying to encourage the welfare mentality
Almost like? Hell, I recall McGuinty arguing that it was unconstitutional to make able-bodied, able-minded welfare recipients earn their welfare cheques.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Wtf???

Why would the Liberal government remove the option for students to claim their school textbooks on next years income tax return? Whats the big deal?

So if your in Ontario now and your in a family that makes less than $50,000 is this the governments attempt to further punish people whose families make more than $50,000?

Are you talking Federal or Provincial? Either way, do you have a link to this claim as I'd be interested in finding out more about this.

“Under the new OSAP, over 210,000 Ontario students will get free tuition,”

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ontario/151082-under-new-osap-over-210-a.html?highlight=tuition

Okay I found it. You are talking Federal but they made other changes that may help........

Line 323 – Your tuition, education, and textbook amounts

The tuition, education, and textbook amounts allows you to reduce any income tax you may owe. Effective January 1, 2017, the federal education and textbook tax credits will be eliminated.

Line 323 ? Your tuition, education, and textbook amounts

In exchange for removing tax credits on education and textbooks, post-secondary students will see a 50 per cent increase to the Canada Student Grants program.

Grants to students from low-income families will increase from $2,000 to $3,000 per year. For middle-income students, the grants will increase from $800 to $1,200. And grants for part-time students will increase from $1,200 to $1,800.

The government estimates that these changes will benefit nearly 247,000 students from low-income families, and another 100,000 from middle-income families.

Federal budget 2016: Trudeau eliminates Harper-era tax credits | Globalnews.ca