Gun Control Freaks are Liars

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The CBC especially.

1 child or youth injured by gunfire nearly every day in Ontario, pediatricians find

About 75% of firearm injuries are unintentional or accidental

A child or youth is injured by gunfire in Ontario almost every day, according to a study published in Monday's issue of CMAJ.
Researchers from the Hospital for Sick Children and the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences analyzed health and administrative databases with a focus on firearm injuries among residents in Ontario aged 24 and younger between 2008 and 2012.
Sick Kids staff physician Dr. Natasha Saunders and her team found of the 355 firearm injuries each year, approximately 23 to 25 children or youth — or about seven per cent — die from those injuries. Deaths, but not injuries, are tracked nationally.
​"When we were putting together all the numbers we kind of went, 'Oh my goodness, this is unbelievable,'" Saunders said in an interview. "We were definitely shocked."

The injuries include loss of sight and loss of limbs.
Around 75 per cent of the injuries are unintentional and preventable, Saunders said.
Assault-related firearm injuries accounted for the other 25 per cent.
Emergency room physicians and pediatricians wanted to identify which populations are at highest risk so that violence prevention strategies can be targeted.
They found the risk of being a victim of firearm assault was 43 per cent higher for refugees than for Canadian-born youth. (Refugees were victims of firearm assault at a rate of 4.7 per 100,000 people, compared with non-refugees at 2.4 firearm assaults per 100,000 people.)
Darius Thorne, a star basketball player, was shot to death in February. (Submitted by Michelle St. Aubyn)

Nationals from Central America and Africa accounted for 68 per cent of immigrants with assault-related firearm injuries. The researchers hope to understand why they're being injured and victimized, and how to support people better to prevent gun violence.
"We're really overshadowed by what's going on in the U.S.," Saunders said. " But [in] Canada, there's nothing to be proud of, being fifth in the world being a victim of a firearm homicide."
Firearms 'designed to kill'

Separately on Monday, the Canadian Paediatric Society released an updated position statement on prevention of firearm injuries. The group notes adolescent and young men are disproportionately affected.
Before Michelle St. Aubin's son, Darius Thorne, was shot to death in Oshawa, Ont., in February, she worried about who he was hanging out with.
Having a firearm in the home is probably the most important risk factor for injury among those age 25 and younger, researchers say. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

"He was such a sociable kid," St. Aubin recalled.
Now she's concerned about how children and teens try to resolve conflict. "It seems to be extreme bouts of violence, that seems to be how young people are dealing with things these days."
Canada's rate of firearm ownership is lower than that of the United States but high compared with many other high-income countries, the society said.
But the study doesn't detail the type of injuries or guns that are used, said Tony Bernardo, executive director of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association.
The study's authors and the society included BB guns and other non-lethal versions as firearms.
"The modern day BB guns, they shoot the pellets with a velocity that's adequate to penetrate skin, eyes," said Dr. Katherine Austin, author of the Canadian Paediatric Society's statement. "There are deaths from chest injuries, from brain injury."
From 2008 to 2012, 3,688 Canadians of all ages died from firearm injuries, which include accidents, suicides and homicides.
The group urged the federal government to implement stricter controls on how people acquire, own and store firearms, including classifying air guns and BB guns powerful enough to cause eye injury or skin penetration as firearms under Canada's Firearms Act.
'When I raise guns as an issue to me and as an issue of safety for the family and to the community, they actually sit up and listen.' - Dr. Alan Drummond​
The society would like all health-care providers to counsel families that firearms shouldn't be present where children and teens live and play.
"When a firearm is present, it must be stored according to the regulations of Canada's Firearm Act: unloaded, locked and separate from ammunition," the society wrote.

Firearms safety also becomes a public health issue, said Dr. Alan Drummond, an emergency room physician in Perth, Ont. He was not involved in the study or the position statement.
For instance, when assessing an individual who comes into the emergency department with depression, suicidal thoughts or alcoholism, "we want to be sure that firearms aren't part of the equation," he said.
In the clinic, "as a rural physician, when I raise guns as an issue to me and as an issue of safety for the family and to the community, they actually sit up and listen," Drummond said.
Patients may not have thought of guns in the context of health promotion. "Grandad brought his gun home from the war. It was stored in the closet. That's where it always was," Drummond said. "But when we start asking questions, people start saying, 'Well, he's taking it seriously. Maybe we need to as well.'"
Next, the researchers hope to compare the extent of the problem in Ontario to other provinces.
(Statistics Canada)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/firearm-injuries-cmaj-1.4040628

This includes BB guns, pellet guns, air soft guns, and paint ball guns.......none of which are firearms.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Playing with definitions is one of the best ways to lie.

Nice squishy undefined terms like "firearm," "assault weapon," "terrorism," "justice," and the like.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Another way to lie is to muddle statistics. The most at risk group is between the ages of 15 - 24 with no further breakdown; Since when are ages 18 and up considered youth? They have all the same rights and responsibilities as any adult, and are generally considered such.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I've come to thinking that it might be a good idea to legalize the ownership of an automatic assault rifle to anyone with a clean police record and who has successfully completed the necessary police training and who has the authorization of his spouse. This would mean that should he be married, he cannot own such a weapon without his spouse's consent and his spouse can withdraw consent at any time and so have the weapon temporarily confiscated but still always remaining the legal possession of the owner.

I'm thinking in terms of national defense.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I've come to thinking that it might be a good idea to legalize the ownership of an automatic assault rifle to anyone with a clean police record and who has successfully completed the necessary police training and who has the authorization of his spouse. This would mean that should he be married, he cannot own such a weapon without his spouse's consent and his spouse can withdraw consent at any time and so have the weapon temporarily confiscated but still always remaining the legal possession of the owner.

That is how the Swiss see it. I would agree if our cities weren't packed with dodgy people. If we were more rural and lived in little Cantons like we did a century ago, I would say go for it. The general population is simply not smart enough to be armed, like that. Just look at our Southern neighbours. It would be a blood bath and an orgy of stupid to arm this country like that.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
That is how the Swiss see it. I would agree if our cities weren't packed with dodgy people. If we were more rural and lived in little Cantons like we did a century ago, I would say go for it. The general population is simply not smart enough to be armed, like that. Just look at our Southern neighbours. It would be a blood bath and an orgy of stupid to arm this country like that.

Or allow the owner to store his weapon at a local private arms depot and would not be allowed to bring it home. He could go to the depot to pick up his arm for shooting practice whenever he wants to on the firing range near it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Yay. Another deeply experienced military man who thinks an automatic rifle makes somebody a super soldier.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Yay. Another deeply experienced military man who thinks an automatic rifle makes somebody a super soldier.

Not at all. It might make some timid people feel safer with their guns and so stop voting in big borrow-n-spend governments.

I own no firearm and feel no need to own one. Even if I could legally own an assault rifle, why would I want to waste my money on that? The difference though is that unlike taxes which I have to pay, I'm not forced to subsidize a person's choice to buy a firearm with his own private money.