Liberals to announce marijuana will be legal by July 1, 2018


Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#1
So, in July of 2018 it will be cool. But until then, B!tches, we catch you toking you be charged!

The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.
CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.
Bill Blair, the former Toronto police chief who has been stickhandling the marijuana file for the government, briefed the Liberal caucus on the roll-out plan and the legislation during caucus meetings this weekend.
Bill Blair, parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Justice, speaking at an open caucus meeting and panel discussion on the legalization of marijuana on Parliament Hill in February, 2016, has briefed the Liberal caucus on new marijuana legislation, which leaves the provinces to decide how marijuana is distributed and sold. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Provinces to control sales

The federal government will be in charge of making sure the country's marijuana supply is safe and secure and Ottawa will license producers.
But the provinces will have the right to decide how the marijuana is distributed and sold. Provincial governments will also have the right to set price.
While Ottawa will set a minimum age of 18 to buy marijuana, the provinces will have the option of setting a higher age limit if they wish.
4 plants per household

As for Canadians who want to grow their own marijuana, they will be limited to four plants per household.
Legalizing marijuana was one of the more controversial promises Justin Trudeau made as he campaigned to become prime minister.
But in their platform the Liberals said it was necessary to "legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana" in order to keep drugs "out of the hands of children, and the profits out of the hands of criminals."
The Liberals had promised to introduce legislation by the Spring of 2017. Announcing the legislation the week of April 10 will allow the party to hit that deadline.
Raids raise questions

Trudeau referred again to that rough timetable a few weeks ago when he said the legislation would be introduced before the summer. But at the same time he also warned that it wasn't yet open season for the legal sale of marijuana.
"Until we have a framework to control and regulate marijuana, the current laws apply," Trudeau said in Halifax March 1.
That warning became more concrete a week later, when police in Toronto, Vancouver and other cities carried out raids on marijuana dispensaries and charged several people with possession and trafficking, including noted pot advocates Marc and Jodie Emery.

Trudeau's promise to legalize marijuana was seen as one of the reasons for the Liberals' strong showing among youth voters in the 2015 election.
But at the NDP's leadership debate in Montreal Sunday, which was focused on youth issues, several of the candidates pointed to marijuana legislation as an example of a broken Liberal promise.
"I do not believe Justin Trudeau is going to bring in the legalization of marijuana and as proof that ... we are still seeing, particularly young, Canadians being criminalized by simple possession of marijuana," said B.C. MP Peter Julian.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#2
Well la de dah!

I was one who thought they were going to keep kicking it down the road to the point where I found better non prescription meds and recently quit the stuff.

Its an antihistamine - Quercitine and related herbal items replaced it quit well, and medically do much better in my case.
After all these years, ain't that just my luck.

Now I have to retrain the Doctors about histamine intolerance, and that's coming too.
 
Murphy
Conservative
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
Read the article. There are some things that will happen first and conditions set. This will kick in slower than most people will anticipate, It will be edged a little closer to the election. It's coming in when Parliament is out for the summer. This puts the start, and it will be a rocky one, around the third year of their mandate.

This puts the start date a little over a year before the next election.
 
Remington1
+2
#4
With this cash cow going forth, I hope that the Liberals have the vision to set aside money for health, which should be a mandatory 90% allocation, since this is the industry that will be affected the most. The ruse for the Liberals to never ever refer to the stuff as a drug is the same as never ever calling taxes a tax! This will not affect older people who've always smoke, they will not increase their smoking frequency, but more young people will be starting the habit at a younger age, same as people started tobacco years ago, in larger numbers and become daily users, 18 year old is BS!! good luck enforcing that one!! Medical forum state that weed is not deadly but has side affects because it is a drug and once the Liberals start making money, the drug will be produced however method is needed to make more money. Here are some results of studies, (but Doctors wanted more control studies to be made, but they are broke and this has to go through): Toxic chemicals and carcinogens that irritate lungs; bronchitis; THC interferes with tutors in the blood stream; memory problems (in some); accelerated heartbeat; slower reaction time; impaired judgement (more prevalent in younger people). The positive: Glaucoma relief (short term anyway); pain relief. There are good and bad, but it will affect the health industry. We shall see and probably go up on the happiness world scale!! for now anyway. 4 plants per family allowed.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1View Post

With this cash cow going forth, I hope that the Liberals have the vision to set aside money for health, which should be a mandatory 90% allocation, since this is the industry that will be affected the most. The ruse for the Liberals to never ever refer to the stuff as a drug is the same as never ever calling taxes a tax! This will not affect older people who've always smoke, they will not increase their smoking frequency, but more young people will be starting the habit at a younger age, same as people started tobacco years ago, in larger numbers and become daily users, 18 year old is BS!! good luck enforcing that one!! Medical forum state that weed is not deadly but has side affects because it is a drug and once the Liberals start making money, the drug will be produced however method is needed to make more money. Here are some results of studies, (but Doctors wanted more control studies to be made, but they are broke and this has to go through): Toxic chemicals and carcinogens that irritate lungs; bronchitis; THC interferes with tutors in the blood stream; memory problems (in some); accelerated heartbeat; slower reaction time; impaired judgement (more prevalent in younger people). The positive: Glaucoma relief (short term anyway); pain relief. There are good and bad, but it will affect the health industry. We shall see and probably go up on the happiness world scale!! for now anyway. 4 plants per family allowed.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
You could put alcohol in there instead of Marijuana and nothing would change.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#6
Kind of expected. People are viewing their economic stewardship as a failure and they are losing popularity. Now the potheads will forgive them ... for now. Of course, they may be too stoned to vote next election.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#7
With the globalist attitude of the liebarrels we have seen in other places
hopefully we get a next (s)election
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

With the globalist attitude of the liebarrels we have seen in other places
hopefully we get a next (s)election

Yes I seem to remember that this will be the last for our current method of first past the post .
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+2
#9
It is anti cancerous though, and oxygenates the lungs ( as opposed to smoking which is the opposite), that counts for something. it also helps people with spectrum disorders, and they predict that there will be 50% of the children born by 2030 as havimg those.

To bad the docs aren't so fussy about the safety of other things they prescribe like SSRIs and vaccines.
(WARNING: STFU and read the black box warnings)
 
Kreskin
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

So, in July of 2018 it will be cool. But until then, B!tches, we catch you toking you be charged!
The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.
CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.
Bill Blair, the former Toronto police chief who has been stickhandling the marijuana file for the government, briefed the Liberal caucus on the roll-out plan and the legislation during caucus meetings this weekend.
Bill Blair, parliamentary secretary to the Minister of Justice, speaking at an open caucus meeting and panel discussion on the legalization of marijuana on Parliament Hill in February, 2016, has briefed the Liberal caucus on new marijuana legislation, which leaves the provinces to decide how marijuana is distributed and sold. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)
Provinces to control sales
The federal government will be in charge of making sure the country's marijuana supply is safe and secure and Ottawa will license producers.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
You outta write a novel about everyone getting arrested and beaten until July 2018.
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1View Post

With this cash cow going forth, I hope that the Liberals have the vision to set aside money for health, which should be a mandatory 90% allocation, since this is the industry that will be affected the most. The ruse for the Liberals to never ever refer to the stuff as a drug is the same as never ever calling taxes a tax!

It's not a ruse. Marijuana is a drug in the same way that chocolate cake or working out are drugs. The real beauty of it is it's impossible to OD or get marijuana poisoning from smoking too much in one night and it's not physically addictive.

As for your concerns about easier access for teens and such, it's already got easy access. Hell you can get an ounce of weed delivered to your door faster than a pizza these days.
In Portugal where they've had de facto legalization for over a decade now, marijuana use among teens actually decreased. Not a lot but it was a measurable decrease. OD's from other drugs have dropped by 50% and there's even been a reduction in alcohol related incidents without a corresponding increase in marijuana related incidents.

As for pricing and health costs, the math has already been done. It costs pretty the same to produce a gram of weed as it costs to produce one cigarette. Now, a single king-sized ciggie contains 2/3 of a gram of tobacco. In that regard a pack of king-size smokes is equivalent to about 16 grams of pot which is a little more than half an ounce. The govt could then tax marijuana at 5x the amount they tax tobacco and still keep prices well below street value.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Kind of expected. People are viewing their economic stewardship as a failure and they are losing popularity. Now the potheads will forgive them ... for now. Of course, they may be too stoned to vote next election.

Put 'em right in there with the ones too drunk to vote.
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Kind of expected. People are viewing their economic stewardship as a failure and they are losing popularity. Now the potheads will forgive them ... for now. Of course, they may be too stoned to vote next election.

It took a week but i just got the dishes done man....
 
White_Unifier
+1
#14
I hope the advertising of marijuana and of businesses that sell it is strictly regulated.Maybe even require businesses that sell it remove all business signs and advertising from outside and strictly limit advertising to online only.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#15
yeah if kids learn to google we be effed!!!
lol
just kidding
leave the adds on TV they are safer there

just no funny art in the ice cubes
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#16
If you can advertise beer, you can advertise pot. Same rules.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

If you can advertise beer, you can advertise pot. Same rules.

How bout fags?
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+3
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

I hope the advertising of marijuana and of businesses that sell it is strictly regulated.Maybe even require businesses that sell it remove all business signs and advertising from outside and strictly limit advertising to online only.

Like alcohol? You want to know how f*cked up stuff like that can be? Years ago Players tobacco used to sponsor the Formula Atlantic racing series. Then the govt stepped in and banned tobacco companies from sponsoring sporting events. Yet beer brewers are still sponsoring racing events like the Molson Indy in Toronto. Just think about that for a moment and let it sink in. Tobacco companies can't sponsor racing events in Canada but alcohol producers still can. That's just stupid.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

How bout fags?



I don't think we have any laws advertising homosexuality. But have not seen a real big surge in companies spending their advertising dollar doing it.


In case you were using the british term (too much time with BL?), cigarettes are a different beast. Much more addictive than either pot or alcohol. And unlike alcohol, if you smoke one, somebody else will smell it.


Pot should have same location regulations as cigarettes however as they produce second hand smoke like cigs.
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

How bout fags?

There aint going to be no commercials about bumming fags anytime soon. No matter how PC we are.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I don't think we have any laws advertising homosexuality. But have not seen a real big surge in companies spending their advertising dollar doing it.

No, I meant should there be special restrictions on advertising to gays?


Quote:

In case you were using the british term (too much time with BL?), cigarettes are a different beast. Much more addictive than either pot or alcohol. And unlike alcohol, if you smoke one, somebody else will smell it.

You're clearly not familiar with beer farts.

Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

There aint going to be commercials about bumming fags anytime soon. No matter how PC we are.

How bout pinching fags?
 
White_Unifier
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Like alcohol? You want to know how f*cked up stuff like that can be? Years ago Players tobacco used to sponsor the Formula Atlantic racing series. Then the govt stepped in and banned tobacco companies from sponsoring sporting events. Yet beer brewers are still sponsoring racing events like the Molson Indy in Toronto. Just think about that for a moment and let it sink in. Tobacco companies can't sponsor racing events in Canada but alcohol producers still can. That's just stupid.

Make it apply to alcohol and casinos and lottery tickets too.
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#23
Now your getting into the 50 shades of smoke there, TB...
 
Tecumsehsbones
+3
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Now your getting into the 50 shades of smoke there, TB...

Many a long year ago, I was at the British Forces NAAFI (their store and pub complex for the military) in West Berlin. I was smoking at the time, and some Brit came up to me and said "Can I pinch a fag, mate?" I told him he could do whatever he wanted with a consenting adult, just leave me out of it.
 
White_Unifier
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Many a long year ago, I was at the British Forces NAAFI (their store and pub complex for the military) in West Berlin. I was smoking at the time, and some Brit came up to me and said "Can I pinch a fag, mate?" I told him he could do whatever he wanted with a consenting adult, just leave me out of it.

Pinch a fag, smoke a fag, they just don't know how to speak proper English those Brits, and then they wonder why we can never understand them.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

Pinch a fag, smoke a fag, they just don't know how to speak proper English those Brits, and then they wonder why we can never understand them.

Not understanding them is usually a good thing.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

Pinch a fag, smoke a fag, they just don't know how to speak proper English those Brits, and then they wonder why we can never understand them.

Try hitting yourself in the head with a hammer a few times. That should drop your IQ enough to communicate with the average Brit.

If it don't, flip the hammer around and give yourself a coupla shots with the claw.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

There aint going to be no commercials about bumming fags anytime soon. No matter how PC we are.


EXPANDING THE LGBTQ CONVERSATION

Watch the Powerful Transgender Ad That Will Air on Fox News When Trump Accepts the GOP
The commercials that play during coverage of the party conventions make a good case for the fast-forward button. Ads that run in this kind of programming typically tout shady products, iffy apps, and services that you hope you’ll never need to take advantage of.

But on Thursday night, during Fox News’ primetime coverage of the Republican National Convention, right around the time when presidential nominee Donald Trump is expected to speak, a spot will run that could cause viewers to hit pause and maybe even rewind.

Created by the Movement Advancement Project and funded by Fairness USA, the ad is intended to communicate the challenges transgender people face using public restrooms in the age of anti-trans bathroom bills.

Watch the Powerful Transgender Ad That Will Air on Fox News When Trump Accepts the GOP Nomination
Transgender bathroom ad will air during Trumps acceptance speech. (VIDEO.) (external - login to view)

of course we haven't quite sunk to level of the american liebarrel...
yet
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

Watch the Powerful Transgender Ad That Will Air on Fox News When Trump Accepts the GOP Nomination
Transgender bathroom ad will air during Trumps acceptance speech. (VIDEO.) (external - login to view)

He hasn't accepted the nomination yet?
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#30
They have different views on what is "bumming fags" down there
watch the ad and see

let us know if it gets you going.
 

Similar Threads

22
Liberals vote to legalize Marijuana
by mentalfloss | Mar 4th, 2012
133
Marijuana Party Leader Joins Liberals
by SirKevin | May 16th, 2005
no new posts