The politics of residency.

White_Unifier
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
When Ignatieff was running for PM, Harper slammed him for just visiting.

More recently at a Conservative debate, Leitch slammed O'Leary by sarcastically inviting him back to Canada.

Do our politicians really look down on Canada's ex-pats and re-pats?

It would seem to me that if we believe in free trade, we should believe in free migration too. Ironically, both harper and Leitch are pro-free-trade, at least in word anyway. So why the animosity against ex-tat and re-pat Canadians, which is a large portion of the voting population?

Danbones
Free Thinker
Ignatieff was chosen to lead the liebarrels because he could not win
i vote we bomb his other country to rubble then he can come in and make laws here

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

More recently at a Conservative debate, Leitch slammed O'Leary by sarcastically inviting him back to Canada.

It would seem to me that if we believe in free trade, we should believe in free migration too. Ironically, both harper and Leitch are pro-free-trade, at least in word anyway. So why the animosity against ex-tat and re-pat Canadians, which is a large portion of the voting population?

How large ? And do we really want free migration ? You seem to believe in it .

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

Why would anyone want to elect someone who hasn't been in the country for 30-40 years and only came back to take up the Liberal leadership?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Why would anyone want to elect someone who hasn't been in the country for 30-40 years and only came back to take up the Liberal leadership?

Why would anyone want to make a person from Left Buttock, AL PM of the whole country?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Because he has good ideas? I personally might not have voted for Ignatieff, but not for the reasons others didn't vote for him. I remember one person who didn't want to vote for him because of his foreign-sounding name. She voted Liberal anyway because that's how she'd always voted in the past but still didn't like it. Others seemed to take issue with where he'd lived in the past. I mean seriously now, are those the determinants of whom we'll vote for?

Corduroy
When you analyze it logically, it doesn't seem to matter, unless you're a nationalist. The fact that the candidate doesn't live in Canada at best could be applied as supporting evidence for them not really caring about the country, but are in it for their own self-aggrandizement.

This tactic probably works to an extent, or at least their opponents think it does. The Conservatives tried to attack Trudeau by commenting on his hair, which isn't a reason to vote against him, but was part of the narrative of him being an unserious pretty boy. It didn't work, but they thought it would.

no new posts