Saskatchewan First Nations shocked by municipalities' self-defence resolution

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It is "discouraging" that delegates at a convention of Saskatchewan rural municipalities passed a resolution to ask the federal government to expand self-defence laws to include property, says the head of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations.

FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron was reacting to the resolution passed Tuesday by rural reeves and councillors attending the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) convention.

The resolution, which passed with a margin of 93 per cent, argues that amid concerns over rural crime increasing, landowners need more rights to protect themselves and their property.

"If I'm sitting at home and I can see with my own eyes that someone has broken into my own truck, am I going to think to myself: 'Am I going to kill someone and shoot them in the head point blank?'" Cameron says.

Last summer, farmer Gerald Stanley, 54, pleaded not guilty in the death of Colten Boushie.
'This federal government is not going to allow any landowner to take the law into their own hands.' - Bobby Cameron, FSIN chief​
Boushie was shot after driving onto Stanley's rural property near Biggar, Sask.,with a group of people, after they allegedly took a number of items from a nearby farm, according to RCMP.

Then, during harvest, farmers photographed themselves carrying rifles while out in the field, complaining about slow RCMP response times and increasing property crime.

The FSIN represents 72 Saskatchewan First Nations.

Cameron, who attended the SARM convention Tuesday, expressed shock over the adoption of the resolution. He said violence is never the answer, especially when it comes to preventing theft.

"It's one of our 10 commandments: Thou shalt not kill," he said. "We understand protecting property, but at what point do we have boundaries?"

more

Sask. First Nations shocked by municipalities' self-defence resolution - Saskatoon - CBC News

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
It is "discouraging" that delegates at a convention of Saskatchewan rural municipalities passed a resolution to ask the federal government to expand self-defence laws to include property, says the head of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations.

FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron was reacting to the resolution passed Tuesday by rural reeves and councillors attending the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) convention.

The resolution, which passed with a margin of 93 per cent, argues that amid concerns over rural crime increasing, landowners need more rights to protect themselves and their property.

"If I'm sitting at home and I can see with my own eyes that someone has broken into my own truck, am I going to think to myself: 'Am I going to kill someone and shoot them in the head point blank?'" Cameron says.

Last summer, farmer Gerald Stanley, 54, pleaded not guilty in the death of Colten Boushie.
'This federal government is not going to allow any landowner to take the law into their own hands.' - Bobby Cameron, FSIN chief​
Boushie was shot after driving onto Stanley's rural property near Biggar, Sask.,with a group of people, after they allegedly took a number of items from a nearby farm, according to RCMP.

Then, during harvest, farmers photographed themselves carrying rifles while out in the field, complaining about slow RCMP response times and increasing property crime.

The FSIN represents 72 Saskatchewan First Nations.

Cameron, who attended the SARM convention Tuesday, expressed shock over the adoption of the resolution. He said violence is never the answer, especially when it comes to preventing theft.

"It's one of our 10 commandments: Thou shalt not kill," he said. "We understand protecting property, but at what point do we have boundaries?"

more

Sask. First Nations shocked by municipalities' self-defence resolution - Saskatoon - CBC News
Yea and "thou shall not steal" is also a commandment. You come by my property to steal, you better have bionic legs.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One of the biggest problem with the Canadian legal system is that criminals have all the rights and law abiding taxpayers are legally defenceless.