Alberta outperforming Saskatchewan


mentalfloss
#1
For more than a century, Canada's twin sisters of Confederation Alberta and Saskatchewan have always loved to compare themselves. The two became provinces on the same day in 1905, and for the first half of their lives Saskatchewan was the over-achiever. In the 1920s and 1930s, it boasted more than twice as many people as Alberta and was the preferred destination of waves of European immigrants.

Story continues below advertisement

By the second-half of the century, however, Alberta kicked into high gear and easily outperformed Saskatchewan in economic growth and political influence. Saskatchewan looked on with jealously of her twin who had left her in the Prairie dust.

More recently, with the nasty recession that gripped Alberta in 2015 and 2016, the tables have turned. Alberta is once again looking at her sister with some envy; there's a notion that Saskatchewan is outperforming her. Saskatchewan's current unemployment rate of 6.4 per cent is much lower than Alberta's 8.8 per cent. And unlike Alberta, Saskatchewan has not recently changed its provincial government. Some in Alberta are crediting the small "c" conservative policies of the Brad Wall government for Saskatchewan's stronger economic performance.

But is it true? Is Saskatchewan's economy actually outperforming Alberta's? A closer look at the data would suggest that it is not at least not with respect to jobs. Employment in both provinces has fallen over the course of the past few years by the same amount.

The graph below shows the annual year-over-year per-cent change in total employment. Because monthly data can jump up and down erratically, the data are smoothed using a 12-month trend line. This shows how closely the labour markets in both provinces have moved.

Back in 2012 when Alberta and Saskatchewan were enjoying a petroleum-induced boom, employment was growing steadily by about 3 per cent annually more than twice the national average. But even before oil prices started to drop in mid-2014, job growth in Saskatchewan started to stall. Alberta's, on the other hand, remained solid until the end of 2015, at which point it started to drop steeply.

From the record-high level of employment a few years ago to January of this year, both provinces have seen precisely the same drop of 1.9 per cent. That fact runs counter to the narrative that Saskatchewan's job market has fared any better than Alberta's.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...service=mobile
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Id kill to be in Northern Saskatchewan now... Such a winter wonderland... Go fish Russel Lake...
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Id kill to be in Northern Saskatchewan now... Such a winter wonderland... Go fish Russel Lake...

If only those ice roads didn't thaw earlier and earlier each year, eh?
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

If only those ice roads didn't thaw earlier and earlier each year, eh?

Doesnt stop me. I can catch whitefish FROM shore casting little cleos and lucky strikes...

But honestly i spent 7 winter/springs there and the lakes opened up each year at roughly the same time.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#5
Nice link to a sales pitch for the gloom&wail.
 
petros
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Doesnt stop me. I can catch whitefish FROM shore casting little cleos and lucky strikes...

But honestly i spent 7 winter/springs there and the lakes opened up each year at roughly the same time.

I like the lakers.
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I like the lakers.

I bought some doctor spoons and am going to try for them during the upcoming sucker run next month. My friend she has had alot of success with those spoons so i have to try now
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#8
Try these .. they hit first time, every time.

www.canadiansoldiers.com (external - login to view)
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Try these .. they hit first time, every time.

www.canadiansoldiers.com (external - login to view)

Around here only the old finlanders did that...
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#10
CLI Spinners. Garaunteed results.
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

CLI Spinners. Garaunteed results.

Never used those as im not a fan of spinner bait. When i do use spinners its #4. I catch my own live bait and preffer spoons.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#12
Thier next big competition will be crop losses.
 
petros
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

I bought some doctor spoons and am going to try for them during the upcoming sucker run next month. My friend she has had alot of success with those spoons so i have to try now

Willow leaf for going for deep water monsters.
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Willow leaf for going for deep water monsters.

I don't know why but i'm not a fan of the spinner.
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

I don't know why but i'm not a fan of the spinner.

Pink meated fish like them.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
#16
Saskatistan is the Charlie Brown of confederation
 
petros
#17
Kitty smelled the fish.
 
mentalfloss
#18
Poor Brad.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

For more than a century, Canada's twin sisters of Confederation – Alberta and Saskatchewan – have always loved to compare themselves. The two became provinces on the same day in 1905, and for the first half of their lives Saskatchewan was the over-achiever.https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...service=mobile


You could have substituted "Leduc 1947" for the entire screed.


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leduc_No._1 (external - login to view)
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You could have substituted "Leduc 1947" for the entire screed.


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leduc_No._1 (external - login to view)

You're a moron. Saskatistan has a wealth of natural resources that rival any jurisdiction. They're just incapable of effectively managing themselves. If I was premier of Saskatistan, I would consider asking Alberta to take over the province...help move it into the 21st century
 
Dixie Cup
Conservative
+1
#21
To the piece is all about nothing - huh - I'm not surprised.


JMHO

Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie CupView Post

To the piece is all about nothing - huh - I'm not surprised.


JMHO

oops, it should read "so, the piece is all about nothing"
 
White_Unifier
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

For more than a century, Canada's twin sisters of Confederation Alberta and Saskatchewan have always loved to compare themselves. The two became provinces on the same day in 1905, and for the first half of their lives Saskatchewan was the over-achiever. In the 1920s and 1930s, it boasted more than twice as many people as Alberta and was the preferred destination of waves of European immigrants.
Story continues below advertisement
By the second-half of the century, however, Alberta kicked into high gear and easily outperformed Saskatchewan in economic growth and political influence. Saskatchewan looked on with jealously of her twin who had left her in the Prairie dust.
More recently, with the nasty recession that gripped Alberta in 2015 and 2016, the tables have turned. Alberta is once again looking at her sister with some envy; there's a notion that Saskatchewan is outperforming her. Saskatchewan's current unemployment rate of 6.4 per cent is much lower than Alberta's 8.8 per cent. And unlike Alberta, Saskatchewan has not recently changed its provincial government. Some in Alberta are crediting the small "c" conservative policies of the Brad Wall government for Saskatchewan's stronger economic performance.
But is it true? Is Saskatchewan's economy actually outperforming Alberta's? A closer look at the data would suggest that it is not at least not with respect to jobs. Employment in both provinces has fallen...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Quick! Saskatchewan needs to raise tariffs against Alberta!
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#23
The first thing Alberta would do is rename Regina to something that doesn't rhyme with vag ina (I can't believe that word gets censored). People are laughing at you Regina.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

The first thing Alberta would do is rename Regina to something that doesn't rhyme with vag ina (I can't believe that word gets censored). People are laughing at you Regina.

How about: "Greater Waskana"?
 
mentalfloss
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

Quick! Saskatchewan needs to raise tariffs against Alberta!

Make Sasquatcheuan Great Again!
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Make Sasquatcheuan Great Again!

Again?
 
petros
#27
It still is.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It still is.

Relative to Zimbabwe
 
petros
#29
You live in a Saskatchewan outpost. A place where it's easier to buy Roughriders toque than it is to buy anything Albertan.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You live in a Saskatchewan outpost. A place where it's easier to buy Roughriders toque than it is to buy anything Albertan.

Yes, it's a sad commentary on the province that the best thing about it is a ridiculously inept football team in a second rate league.

While I appreciate your effort, I really don't need you to keep proving my point.
 
no new posts