Air Canada Rejects American Claim that it is a target of a Terrorist Attack

mentalfloss
Americans are afraid of everything.

Air Canada denies U.S. security chief's assertion that its jets have been focus of any terror plots

U.S. Homeland Secretary John Kelly says there have been countless attempts by terrorists to blow up passenger jets operated by Air Canada and U.S. airlines – plots that have been stopped because of U.S. and Canadian intelligence agencies.

"The most significant threat is a terrorist attack I think on aviation. That seems to be their Stanley Cup playoff. They want to knock down airplanes and they are trying every day to do it," Mr. Kelly told CTV's Power Play on Friday after meeting with senior Trudeau cabinet ministers on Parliament Hill.

"I can't count the number of airplanes that have not been blown up in flight, whether they are United [Airlines] or Air Canada …but I can tell you there are dozens of plots ongoing all the time." Air Canada issued a strong denial that the airline had been the focus of any terrorist plot.

"Air Canada's policy is generally not to discuss issues of security. However there is no truth whatsoever in the suggestion that Air Canada may have been involved in such threats," spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick told The Globe and Mail.

Mr. Kelly would not provide further details, saying the information was classified, but he added that Canada and the United States are considered "hard targets" by terrorists because of the security measures the two countries have put in place and their seamless co-operation on the sharing of information, including on passengers.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale did not deny that there had been terrorist threats against Air Canada when asked about Mr. Kelly's comments.

"No there is not a new specific threat against Air Canada. Obviously if that were to be the case, we would be taking a range of actions, but the secretary was not referring to a new immediate threat."

He acknowledged aircraft terrorism was of high concern but played down the immediate dangers to airline passengers.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...service=mobile

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Fake news from around the world assures Americans that they have it better than anyone else. Their political leadership likes it that way so that they don't have to fix all sorts of impossibly difficult problems. It's a wonderful deflection tool, as well.

The Russians hacked your government computers? "Look! There's a terorist attack in Germany!"

It may sound like a non-sequitur but Sean Spicer says things like that, all of the time.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
I think it is poor leadership for Mr Kelly to talk like that
True or not

petros
They were hacked by NyetJet.

Dixie Cup
Conservative
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
Fake news or not, they'd be stupid to even acknowledge any threat at all. Not only would it impair security but also affect the airlines' business. Mr. Kelly was stupid to even bring the subject up but I'm sure he's likely correct even if exaggerating. I'm thinking he's got the riot act read to him after that interview.

JMHO

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Agreed. The Trump administration is very stupid

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Fake news from around the world assures Americans that they have it better than anyone else. Their political leadership likes it that way so that they don't have to fix all sorts of impossibly difficult problems. It's a wonderful deflection tool, as well.

The Russians hacked your government computers? "Look! There's a terorist attack in Germany!"

It may sound like a non-sequitur but Sean Spicer says things like that, all of the time.

he forgets 911
lol

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Agreed. The Trump administration is very stupid

but admit it
you look up to them
...way...up

petros
Call Rusty!!!

DaSleeper
Whaaaat? no ladder threats either??

Highball
I will only fly with Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, New Zealand Air and Singapore Air. In my opinion they have well trained professionals as staff and very well maintained aircraft.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by HighballView Post

I will only fly with Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, New Zealand Air and Singapore Air. In my opinion they have well trained professionals as staff and very well maintained aircraft.

I like staying home

Sounds like you travel a lot

petros
Alaska has one of the worst maintainence records. Almost as bad as Alligent.

Better off flying DrunkWing or Scair TransSplat

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quantas

youtu.be/qmF1Lh4f3OM (external - login to view)