In Yukon, Maxime Bernier pledges to 'abolish' Indian Act

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Leadership candidate says consultation is needed, but the Indian Act keeps people in poverty

Conservative party leadership candidate Maxime Bernier is the latest to say the Indian Act "should be abolished."

At a stop in Whitehorse on Sunday, Bernier said he believes the current act keeps people in poverty.

"I think there's a way to be more efficient," he said to a group of about 25 people at the Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre. "And there's a way to bring more economic growth on reserves and working with First Nations to bring more private investment."

Bernier says it's too early to say what should replace the act first written in 1876. He's pledging to consult on the matter.

"My policy will be based on respecting the treaties that we signed together. We'll have consultation. I don't have the solution to tell you. I am here to do consultation and next time I'll meet with First Nations leaders and we'll see what we can do," he said.

Bernier said he favours a system that would allow private ownership on what is now reserve land.

He said changes would not necessarily affect the level of federal funding, but would require "new treaties" to be signed and a changing of relationships.

"I want to think outside the box, with new principles. It would be status quo on the money right now, but we have to try [new] ways to deal with each other. And after that we'll see the impact. We have an obligation to respect the treaties we signed," he said.
Bernier acknowledged it would not be easy.

more

In Yukon, Maxime Bernier pledges to 'abolish' Indian Act - North - CBC News

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Oh, what a good idea. The FN Chiefs won't like it, though as the Indian Act is the source of their power.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If we keep the Indian Act, we should change its name to the 'Everyone-Agrees-It-Must-Go-But-No-One-Agrees-What-To-Replace-It-With Act or the EAIMGBNOAWTRIW Act. Heck, practically every First Nation and PM since at least Pierre Trudeau has wanted to scrap it. Or we could just call it the Stalemate Act for short.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If we keep the Indian Act, we should change its name to the 'Everyone-Agrees-It-Must-Go-But-No-One-Agrees-What-To-Replace-It-With Act or the EAIMGBNOAWTRIW Act. Heck, practically every First Nation and PM since at least Pierre Trudeau has wanted to scrap it. Or we could just call it the Stalemate Act for short.

It is an ancient, colonial document that dates from Victoria's reign. Time to move on.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It is an ancient, colonial document that dates from Victoria's reign. Time to move on.

It's a catch-22. Parts of the Act protect First Nations, but most parts hurt First Nations. They want to scrap the parts that hurt them but keep the rest. Most politicians want to scrap the Act altogether. As a result, no agreement. Stalemate. No one likes it but no one can agree on how to scrap it.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's a catch-22. Parts of the Act protect First Nations, but most parts hurt First Nations. They want to scrap the parts that hurt them but keep the rest. Most politicians want to scrap the Act altogether. As a result, no agreement. Stalemate. No one likes it but no one can agree on how to scrap it.

A century and a half later, we can all do a better job of negotiating something more modern that doesn't make Natives dependants of the State. It's easier for them to be so but it is very bad for them to be so.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Harper wanted to scrap it too. No one, not even First Nations, support the Indian Act. Conservatives and Liberals have tried to get rid of it too. They just can't agree on what to replace it with. The Stalemate Act.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
About time someone is talking about this .

Harper wanted to scrap it too. No one, not even First Nations, support the Indian Act. Conservatives and Liberals have tried to get rid of it too. They just can't agree on what to replace it with. The Stalemate Act.
The bureaucrats and lawyers love it though , and will fight tooth and nail to keep it intact .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

How about the : "You're All Grown Up, Now So Act Like It, Act".

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
White people telling Indians what's good for them.... nothing has changed since confederation.

Many "Indians" have counseled for the Indian Act to be abolished. Are you, as a "white man", telling them what they should do/have?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, it is up to them to decide their future. The road to oblivion lies in good intentions.

But...but....but...You just finished making the comment about "white men" and now your saying let them decide..... Maxime Bernier wants to do what the majority of First Nations want....... so... You want to make up your mind?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
But...but....but...You just finished making the comment about "white men" and now your saying let them decide..... Maxime Bernier wants to do what the majority of First Nations want....... so... You want to make up your mind?
Why are you so obtuse? I was talking about all the white people on this form. I do not know one Indian who wants to just abandon the Indian Act. I doubt it is a majority, but again, it is none of my business and neither is it anybody else's on here.