In Justin Trudeau's world, Christians need not apply

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The intersection of religion and politics can produce profound ethical dilemmas. For those who are religious, who see the performance of their faith here on earth as bearing on their destiny in the hereafter, politics can be a threatening pursuit. Religious imperatives are not intermittent, do not suffer exceptions, may not be quarantined from any aspect of a religiously engaged life.

And if a Christian is a politician, then his public conduct, his thinking and voting on matters of public concern, will naturally, inescapably, seek the polar star and guidance of his religious understanding. Religion is not an accessory to one’s occupation and career. It has a core relationship to all of life.

Politics has its imperatives, too. Even if its sanctions as far as we know do not (yet) reach into the afterlife, it has ways to urge obedience and enforce conformity. On the issue of abortion, the federal Liberals provide a case in point.

Elected Liberal MPs are under Justin Trudeau’s direct order that, in any legislation that touches on the abortion issue, they must — mindless of their faith, their previous professions on the subject, or their conscience — vote the “pro-choice” dogma. Pro-abortion is the party line. And it is the only line allowed.

This is very odd. I should clarify that I am not debating the pros and cons of abortion per se. Leave that for another time. But I am pointing to an irreconcilable dilemma facing any individual with genuine religious convictions who wishes, in this age, to stand for public office.

Lawrence MacAulay, a Catholic, and a Liberal MP from PEI, provides the most recent illustration of this dilemma.

read on

Rex Murphy: In Justin Trudeau's world, Christians need not apply | National Post

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
I guess there is plenty of room in the conservative camp for the religious to serve in public office. I myself believe in the separation of church and state... and am glad that the liberals have a pro choice stance on abortion. Good for Justin.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I guess there is plenty of room in the conservative camp for the religious to serve in public office. I myself believe in the separation of church and state... and am glad that the liberals have a pro choice stance on abortion. Good for Justin.

You do understand that Trudeau himself is catholic in addition to the various Liberal MPs that hold some form of religion... You get that, right?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Christians have to distance themselves from their religious views while serving in parliament, while muslims can actually propose laws that give extra protection to their particular religion even when broad laws protecting everyone already exist .....

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Elected Liberal MPs are under Justin Trudeau’s direct order that, in any legislation that touches on the abortion issue, they must — mindless of their faith, their previous professions on the subject, or their conscience — vote the “pro-choice” dogma. Pro-abortion is the party line.

There are the problems all in one paragraph.
1) Parties. They demand that their members embrace the same policy or they get back-benched or kicked out.
2) MP should vote to support the majority of their constituents, NOT their own conscience. They get one vote like everyone else.

We are not represented, we are at the mercy of the politicians.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There are the problems all in one paragraph.
1) Parties. They demand that their members embrace the same policy or they get back-benched or kicked out.
2) MP should vote to support the majority of their constituents, NOT their own conscience. They get one vote like everyone else.

We are not represented, we are at the mercy of the politicians.

Speak for yourself. I always vote for the best local candidate. If you choose to slavishly vote for a party, then you have none but yourself to blame for this.

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
You do understand that Trudeau himself is catholic in addition to the various Liberal MPs that hold some form of religion... You get that, right?

Yep... and I admire him for leaving his religion out of his politics

Speak for yourself. I always vote for the best local candidate. If you choose to slavishly vote for a party, then you have none but yourself to blame for this.

Agreed

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
How many of your best choices received the support to be elected ?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How many of your best choices received the support to be elected ?

I've held a consistent streak of voting for the losing candidate because everyone else is busy voting for their preferred party so don't blame me for that.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about me voting, I'm talking about the MPs voting in Parliament. They either vote the Party line or by their own conscience. What about their constituents?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You misunderstand. I'm not talking about me voting, I'm talking about the MPs voting in Parliament. They either vote the Party line or by their own conscience. What about their constituents?

But they vote for their party because you vote for them for their party. For example, if everyone voted like I did, no candidate would feel like a prisoner to his party. In fact, that candidate would feel quite comfortable leaving his party and sitting as an independent. But if we all vote like you, then the candidate knows that no one really voted for him. They all voted for his party. So to win the next election, he has to serve the party.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
justin justin he's the man.

if he can't _____________ it,

no one can.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wait is someone saying if a Christian votes he must vote his religion
and not by the will of those who elected him? No no leave religion out
of politics. One does not have to be a believer in anything in order to
do the right thing. It is time we put religion behind us in many respects
it is divisive. Now one having faith is not a problem only when it supersedes
others rights in an open society. I know what about the religious persons
rights, well in church or home that's fine but just like the Jew the Muslim or the
anything else Canada is a secular nation