Liberal MP's anti-Islamophobia motion set for debate next week

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
You know we've always made fun of, insulted, and have been critical of Christianity and Judaism but now that the same is being done to Islam we all of a sudden need laws protecting this one religion? I'm pretty sure we don't live in Pakistan...

Liberal MP's anti-Islamophobia motion set for debate next week - Politics - CBC News

Liberal MP's anti-Islamophobia motion set for debate next week

Some critics worry Motion 103 could chill free speech and ultimately lead to blasphemy laws

Members of Parliament will debate a motion to condemn Islamophobia and track incidents of hate crime against Muslims in the House of Commons next week.

Motion 103 was tabled by Mississauga, Ont., Liberal backbencher Iqra Khalid last fall, but will be discussed in the aftermath of last month's mass shooting at a Quebec City mosque. It calls on government to "condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination."

The text of the motion also asks the government to:

Recognize the need to quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear.
Request the heritage committee study how the government could develop a government-wide approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination, including Islamophobia.
Collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities and present findings within 240 calendar days.
The motion, scheduled for one hour of debate on Wednesday, has generated a backlash online, with petitions garnering thousands of signatures opposing the motion.

Some critics have mischaracterized M-103 as a "bill" or a "law" rather than an non-binding motion.

Some have warned that Canada is moving towards criminalizing Islamophobia or even to the implementation of Islamic law, called Shariah, in Canada.

Khalid declined requests for an interview from CBC News.

When she tabled the motion on Dec. 5, 2016, she described her experience as a "young, brown, Muslim, Canadian woman."

"When I moved to Canada in the 1990s, a young girl trying to make this nation my home, some kids in school would yell as they pushed me, 'Go home, you Muslim' — but I was home. I am among thousands of Muslims who have been victimized because of hate and fear," she said.

"I am a proud Canadian among hundreds and thousands of others who will not tolerate hate based on religion or skin colour. I rise today with my fellow Canadians to reject and condemn Islamophobia."

E-petition condemning Islamophobia

On the same day Khalid tabled her motion, an e-petition with nearly 70,000 signatures was tabled that called on the House of Commons to join the signatories in recognizing that "extremist individuals do not represent the religion of Islam, and in condemning all forms of Islamophobia."

Barbara Kay, a columnist for the National Post and contributor to The Rebel Media, worries about the potential impact on freedom of expression and special protections for a single religious group.

"There are a lot of countries in Europe where criticism of Islam, even if not entrenched in law as a hate crime, are being interpreted by police and law enforcement, social workers — the whole spectrum of the state apparatus. They have been internalized by those within the public service as wrong, and if not criminal then absolutely morally wrong, and therefore Muslims are a group that must be protected from this very offensive speech," she said in an interview with CBC.

Kay said anti-hate speech laws have traditionally targeted human beings, not ideas. She questioned the need to single out Islamophobia, and argued there are more hate crimes against Jews than Muslims in Canada.

Canada

Canada’s so-called anti-Islamophobia motion is nothing but trouble

Long before there was “fake news” and “alternative facts,” we had to grapple with “Islamophobia.”

The term first worked its way into popular culture more than a decade ago. It was originally used to denounce the harassment and inconveniences average Muslims unduly faced in the aftermath of 9/11.

But Islamophobia soon morphed into a catch-all phrase to silence anyone critical of the religion. This applied even if they were denouncing extremism like Shariah law or groups like the Muslim Brotherhood.

It’s now become so bad that it’s even hurled at liberal Muslims in the West for speaking out against the ultra-orthodox values that caused them to flee their home countries in the first place. The term has been rendered meaningless and anyone serious about tackling genuine religious discrimination should toss it aside.

Yet now Canada’s MPs are poised to approve a motion that could very well set the government on the path to criminalizing so-called Islamophobia. This is nothing but trouble for anyone who takes issue with the unsavoury aspects of orthodox Islam. I’m looking at you, women’s marchers, gay rights activists and my fellow non-believers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law

Blasphemy law

Blasphemy law is a law limiting the freedom of speech and expression relating to blasphemy, or irreverence toward holy personages, religious artifacts, customs, or beliefs. Blasphemy laws are sometimes used to protect the religious beliefs of a majority, while in other cases, they serve to offer protection of the religious beliefs of minorities.

In addition to prohibitions against blasphemy or blasphemous libel, blasphemy laws include laws which give redress to those who feel insulted on account of their religion. These laws, which may forbid the vilification of religion, “religious insult”, defamation of religion, denigration of religion, offending religious feelings, contempt of religion, or use other similar language, are blasphemy laws. In some jurisdictions blasphemy laws include hate speech laws that extend beyond prohibiting the imminent incitement of hatred and violence.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
If Muslims would learn to gain respect from Canadians, there would not be any islamophobia

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
If Muslims would learn to gain respect from Canadians, there would not be any islamophobia

I know personally and also do business with quite a few Muslims and have found them to be upstanding citizens with the same hopes, dream and problems I have.
I am very respectful of them.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I know personally and also do business with quite a few Muslims and have found them to be upstanding citizens with the same hopes, dream and problems I have.
I am very respectful of them.
I also work with a lot of Muslims, mostly men, but at work aside from making some requests to accommodate their religious beliefs, they work like everybody else does.

But it's when they don't want their women to integrate into western societies, or when they want swimming pools for Muslim women only, or when they demand pork be banned from cafeterias, and Islam items of this nature is when they lose all respect from Canadians. It's our country, not theirs,,,,,,when in my house, abide by my rules, don't tell me what rules I should run my house by.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I also work with a lot of Muslims, mostly men, but at work aside from making some requests to accommodate their religious beliefs, they work like everybody else does.

But it's when they don't want their women to integrate into western societies, or when they want swimming pools for Muslim women only, or when they demand pork be banned from cafeterias, and Islam items of this nature is when they lose all respect from Canadians. It's our country, not theirs,,,,,,when in my house, abide by my rules, don't tell me what rules I should run my house by.

Ya, neighbors can be a bitch at times.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Where has pork been banned from cafeterias?

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Liberals are a funny bunch indeed. BTW, here's an interesting glance at what is now our present reality. Of alll the countries that could have been chosen JT chose a Communist countries as a beacon of hope:

OTTAWA - So the ladies had questions, after all for the Lib Candidate:

In fact, one of the 100 women who paid $250 to get into the 'Ladies Night with Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau' Thursday had a doozy for him. It went like this:

"Which nation, besides Canada, which nation's administration do you most admire, and why?"

Trudeau's answer: "You know, there's a level of of admiration I actually have for China ..."

Hold it right there.

China?

Where the administration routinely administers capital punishment. And when I say routinely, I mean 10 a day or more than 3,000 a year, many of them ethnic minorities like the Uighurs of northwestern China.

"You know, there's a level of of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime and say 'we need to go green fastest . . . we need to start investing in solar.' I mean there is a flexibility that I know Stephen Harper must dream about of having a dictatorship that he can do everything he wanted that I find quite interesting."

Well, that's clear. The "basic dictatorship" of China is to be admired for its environmental record. Solar panels and all that--- OMG!!

Forget that in Shanghai -- a city of 20 million people -- you could barely see 20 metres for the smog. Schools have been closed all over China in the last several weeks because kids literally cannot breathe. That's probably because China's administration fires up a greenhouse-gas-spewing coal-fired power plant every week and will likely do so at least until 2030. Every single week!

But Trudeau has "a level of admiration" for this "basic dictatorship" and its "solar panel" activity.

"I'm not a big fan of dictatorships. I rather prefer democracies," Mulcair said. "I don't understand how someone can say that their favourite government was a dictatorship, frankly."

In-line with the great vision that resulted with the canoes suggestion perhaps!!

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Here is some of what our Charter of Rights says on the matter....

Criminal Code

319 (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Marginal note Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Marginal note Defences

(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (2)

(a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true;

(b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;

(c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or

(d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

Last edited:

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
So Ms. Khalid was taunted at school! She wasn't the only one and won't be the last. If her bill passed would it mean school children would be arrested for their childish taunting? This is just plain silly.
We have laws against assault and willful damage to any person for any reason. That should be good enough. You can't successfully legislate that people cannot tell other people when they do not like them.
The enactment of 'hate' crimes has tried to do just that already and it has done nothing but cause more resentment against minorities that whine about discrimination.
All people need to grow up and deal with it when they feel insulted. It isn't the end of the world.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
As I understand it, this is a motion asking to research and prepare a bill by a committee within Parliament. As far as I'm aware, motions have limited value. If carried, a committee or group would have to be formed and a bill drawn up that would be presented to Parliament at some future date. A fairly lengthy process, I think.

One can never say never, but this motion becoming law has a long and shaky road in front of it. I believe that if the motion is turned down, that's it. Khalid will have to try again some other day.

Edited to add this: I was correct. Member's motions explained here.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/marleaumontpetit/DocumentViewer.aspx?DocId=1001&Sec=Ch21&Seq=4&Language=E

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I,ve ignored parliament for three no five decades, the first was enough was enough tragic comedy for me, I could take no more. This same parliament lost the fukking keys to the Bank of Canada., If they can't remedy that they just perpetual pissheads selected by the haaircut and the suit and the photogenic leader who's pic is on every box of cornflakes throughout the Province of Canada. And they have to fix the goddamn submarines. Call me with the progress reports. These white people are useless unless heavily supervised, four or five eyes at least. Don't be alarmed the whole mess will be frozen over in a decade or so.

Every prepper should have fifteen cords of firewood or they're pretending. Pay no attention it's just a NorEaster, tiny litttle flakes at 60 klicks peeling the paint off the side of the house.

Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Generally speaking, private member's bills and motions have a poor record of success. But politics can surprise you every now and then.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Here's the harsh reality. In the West you are more likely to be targeted for a hate crime if you are Jewish, Christian, White, Black, LGBTQXYZ, or female than if you are Muslim. In fact, you're about 9 times more likely to be the victim of a hate crime if you're Jewish than if you're Muslim. And not coincidentally, the increase in hate crimes against Jews in the West is fairly commensurate with the increase of Muslims in Western countries.

As for Khalid's insistence there's an increase in reported crimes against Muslims, there's a world of difference between a reported crime and a crime that actually took place.
In the West, statistics show that at least 20% of reported hate crimes against Muslims from 2001-2013 were bogus. Most were complete fabrications, a few of them were attempts at insurance fraud, a small handful were sectarian in nature and one or two were simple accidents.
We've seen even more examples recently. Other than the sectarian violence, it's a tactic to make it look like they're being victimized a lot more than they really are.

Oh, and for those who keep saying, "This isn't the country we are" in reference to the QC mosque killings, for god's sake shut up and go learn some history on Quebec nationalism. To be entirely honest, I would have been genuinely shocked if that had happened in any other province. Sad to say but the fact that it happened in Quebec isn't particularly surprising.
This is what happens when you give them an exemption clause and then try and foist multiculturalism on them. Considering the extremists already have a enough of a problem with having Anglos in their province, I can't really see them being too accepting of anyone who refuses to fully embrace their language and culture.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
supporting "anti-Islamophobia"...isn't that a double negative?

Am i the only one that gets chills from a double negative policy? They want to support policy that targets groups that targets other groups....how in the hell is that going to bring our system closer to inclusiveness or tolerance?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Don't we already have the CHRC for that?
Maybe they want special right.....

That's the way it starts.....then ....sharia law!

Now for the usual suspects to go bananas over that......

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
supporting "anti-Islamophobia"...isn't that a double negative?

Am i the only one that gets chills from a double negative policy? They want to support policy that targets groups that targets other groups....how in the hell is that going to bring our system closer to inclusiveness or tolerance?

We had a guy on the forum last night making it a point that the mosque shooter was a Christian while in other threads i know he said that the terrorists in Europe dont represent Islam...

Buffy

Nominee Member
Jan 3, 2017
U.S.A.
It might be interesting to consider that there is no such thing as Islamophobia because there is no fear of Islam that is unreasonable.