Muslim mom rejected at U.S. border after questions on Trump, mosque shooting

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The 'it's not a Muslim ban' Muslim ban.

A Moroccan-Canadian woman says she was turned back from the Vermont border after four hours of interrogation, including questions about her mosque attendance, thoughts on the Quebec City shooting and opinion about U.S. President Donald Trump.

Fadwa Alaoui, who has lived in Canada for more than 20 years and holds a Canadian passport, said she was on a day trip with her children and a cousin on Saturday when she faced the intense questioning.
Advertisement

When grilled about Trump, the Montreal woman said she told the guards “it's not in my interest -- he has the right to do whatever he wants in his country.”

Alaoui said she was forced to hand over her phone and the guards inquired about a prayer on her phone written in Arabic.

She said she was eventually told she could not enter the U.S. due to “videos and concerns.”

The National Council of Canadian Muslims said Alaoui’s experience is evidence of racial profiling and discrimination by border guards, a phenomenon that has become more common since Trump became president on Jan. 20.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency would not comment on the specific case but issued a statement saying it “does not discriminate on the entry of foreign nationals … based on religion, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation.”

The NCCM is encouraging Muslims to report incidents to them.

Alaoui said she’s now worried that she will not be able to visit family, including her parents, who are American citizens living in Chicago.

Muslim mom rejected at U.S. border after questions on Trump, mosque shooting | CTV News

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Well at least Eaglesmack can sleep a little better tonight. That woman terrified him....and she was soooooo close.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Sounds like bullsh-t to me.

That's because

Well at least Eaglesmack can sleep a little better tonight. That woman terrified him....and she was soooooo close.

Canada > America

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The 'it's not a Muslim ban' Muslim ban.

A Moroccan-Canadian woman says she was turned back from the Vermont border after four hours of interrogation, including questions about her mosque attendance, thoughts on the Quebec City shooting and opinion about U.S. President Donald Trump.

Fadwa Alaoui, who has lived in Canada for more than 20 years and holds a Canadian passport, said she was on a day trip with her children and a cousin on Saturday when she faced the intense questioning.
Advertisement

When grilled about Trump, the Montreal woman said she told the guards “it's not in my interest -- he has the right to do whatever he wants in his country.”

Alaoui said she was forced to hand over her phone and the guards inquired about a prayer on her phone written in Arabic.

She said she was eventually told she could not enter the U.S. due to “videos and concerns.”

The National Council of Canadian Muslims said Alaoui’s experience is evidence of racial profiling and discrimination by border guards, a phenomenon that has become more common since Trump became president on Jan. 20.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency would not comment on the specific case but issued a statement saying it “does not discriminate on the entry of foreign nationals … based on religion, race, ethnicity or sexual orientation.”

The NCCM is encouraging Muslims to report incidents to them.

Alaoui said she’s now worried that she will not be able to visit family, including her parents, who are American citizens living in Chicago.

Muslim mom rejected at U.S. border after questions on Trump, mosque shooting | CTV News

sniff

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Canada has no say on how the US treats those who try to enter the US. Canada should just not follow the US' example. Suddenly, businesses would see Canada as a better country because they could actually attract qualified US nationals whereas US businesses cannot access anyone from abroad anymore.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Every country has the right to allow who they want in and I don't think they should have to give a reason as to why they are saying no. In the above case she should have maybe felt which way the wind was blowing in the USA right now and done something else.......

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Every country has the right to allow who they want in and I don't think they should have to give a reason as to why they are saying no. In the above case she should have maybe felt which way the wind was blowing in the USA right now and done something else.......

Personally, I believe that it is a fundamental human right to live and work where one wants to on the recognition that we are one human race. That said, I also recognize that from the standpoint of practicality that Canada has no way to override US policy. In principle, even if the US declared Martial Law and started shooting anyone who looked black, Muslim, or Hispanic on the streets, Canada would have now power to prevent that and so could do nothing more than just set an example and protect itself.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

No reason why?

That's pretty stupid.