Canada's Trudeau decides not to poke U.S. 'grizzly bear'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
hehehehe...

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is taking a low key approach to dealing with U.S. President Donald Trump, seeking to avoid clashes while indirectly signaling the two leaders' differences to a domestic audience.

Insiders acknowledge the cautious strategy could anger progressives whose support helped bring Trudeau to power in 2015 but say for now, he has no choice but to hold fire: Canada sends 75 percent of its exports to the United States and could suffer if it is targeted by Trump.

"Why poke a grizzly bear while it's having lunch? Trump has just got into office and he is formulating his economic plans," said one senior political source.

While Trudeau's close friendship with former President Barack Obama was often referred to as a "bromance" and "dude-plomacy,"
Canadian prime ministers have not always had close ties with U.S. presidents.

Still, few in Ottawa have experienced anything like Trump, insiders said.

"He is totally unpredictable," said another government source.

Although Canada regards the United States as its closest ally, Trudeau has yet to visit Washington to see Trump.

A visit tentatively scheduled this week was canceled after a shooter killed six Muslims in a Quebec mosque and no new date has been set, said two people familiar with the matter.

Michael Kergin, a former Canadian ambassador to Washington, said Trudeau's caution was wise.

"He's been playing it pretty well by restraining the temptation to be publicly critical of the president. At the same time, it's a delicate balance," said Kergin, now a senior adviser at law firm Bennett Jones.

Trudeau was also right not to follow British Prime Minister Theresa May in rushing to Washington to "gin up a special relationship," only to watch Trump make an unpopular move on immigration after she left, Kergin said.

Trump labeled a refugee swap deal with Australia "dumb" on Thursday after a telephone call with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull that the Washington Post reported was acrimonious. Turnbull kept any sparring behind closed doors.

Trudeau, however, has taken indirect shots. When Trump signed orders banning people from seven Muslim-majority states, Trudeau tweeted that Canada was open to those fleeing war.

His chief spokeswoman blasted U.S. network Fox News on Tuesday for a tweet falsely claiming the Quebec gunman was of Moroccan origin. But she said nothing publicly when Trump's spokesman said the attack on Muslims showed why it was important to suspend immigration from Muslim nations.

This approach infuriates the opposition New Democrats, who have called on Trudeau to denounce Trump's "racist" immigration policy.

Trudeau team members acknowledge that over time, Liberals could lose support before a 2019 election if the prime minister is deemed not to be standing up for Canadian values such as inclusiveness.

"That is a risk, but we'll address it closer to the time," said the first Ottawa insider.

Surveys show the Liberals have a healthy, but narrowing, advantage over their nearest rivals.

Pollster Nik Nanos of Nanos Research said it was too early for Trudeau to be aggressive.

"He has to avoid making any kind of criticism. Trump has a very thin skin and he's quick to lash out," he said.

Canada's Trudeau decides not to poke U.S. 'grizzly bear' for now | Reuters

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Still, few in Ottawa have experienced anything like Trump, insiders said.
"He is totally unpredictable," said another government source.
following election promises...
totally unpredictable
OK...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
following election promises...
totally unpredictable
OK...

His unpredictability is of a personal nature and does not affect his ability to sign papers, DB - such as when he chose a prayer meeting in which to talk about The Apprentice and ask the participants to pray for old Arnie. I heard that Lizzie May was in attendance for some reason - would have given a lot to see the look on her face when that bit came out. That is being unpredictable, Dan. I'm sure you are aware of many other such examples.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
His unpredictability is of a personal nature and does not affect his ability to sign papers, DB - such as when he chose a prayer meeting in which to talk about The Apprentice and ask the participants to pray for old Arnie. I heard that Lizzie May was in attendance for some reason - would have given a lot to see the look on her face when that bit came out. That is being unpredictable, Dan. I'm sure you are aware of many other such examples.

his personal quirks are separate from being the POTUS and what the POTUS's quirks are, IMHO
so following his election platform is doing what he said he would do
saying he is unpredictable is just an excuse for not having a clue

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What has Trump done? He had good advisers to tell him how to invest the million dollars
he got from his dad. Big deal. This doesn't make him a hero. The world will soon have
of his nonsense.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
his personal quirks are separate from being the POTUS and what the POTUS's quirks are, IMHO
so following his election platform is doing what he said he would do
saying he is unpredictable is just an excuse for not having a clue

Oh FPS, Dan - defend his policies, defend his administration, but don't be so silly as to say his behavior at times isn't unpredictable because even the true believers here have admitted as much.

Talking about a TV show and asking for prayers for it's host during a prayer meeting is simply bizarre.

What has Trump done? He had good advisers to tell him how to invest the million dollars
he got from his dad. Big deal. This doesn't make him a hero. The world will soon have
of his nonsense.

Darn right, juan. And the more I hear and read about this Bannon, the more I know who is really running the show. The one thing I keep hearing about Donald Trump is that he couldn't run sh*t but he knew how to find people that did and trusted them to do the heavy work. Bannon came in with an agenda and so far, Donald is happily fulfilling it for him.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Trudeau, however, has taken indirect shots. When Trump signed orders banning people from seven Muslim-majority states, Trudeau tweeted that Canada was open to those fleeing war.
Really now. Will that also apply to Ukrainians who might want to get away from the sh*t brewing up there again, or does this only apply to Trudeau's Muslim pets?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Really now. Will that also apply to Ukrainians who might want to get away from the sh*t brewing up there again, or does this only apply to Trudeau's Muslim pets?

Geez Jin ........not you too? Muslim pets? You can't mean the Syrian refugees that have lately come to our country. But no, being the intelligent person you are, you would know that a good number of them are practicing Christians.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Geez Jin ........not you too? Muslim pets? You can't mean the Syrian refugees that have lately come to our country. But no, being the intelligent person you are, you would know that a good number of them are practicing Christians.
I wasn't really referring to the Syrians so much as the other countries where there are lot of very un-refugee like "refugees" flooding out.
I'm also not a real big fan of Christians either so...
I've become very intolerant of the intolerance of far too many practitioners of so-called peaceful and loving religions. Mentality-wise, they're not a whole lot unlike the neo-liberal progtards out there.
I also do not think it's very wise to invite people that you and/or your friends have been bombing, to come live in your country. Particularly when you know damn well by the speed of entry that the vetting process was likely rushed.

In any given year, Canada accepts at least 10% of the refugees worldwide who are ready for resettlement. Some years it's been as high as one in six. I'd say we're more than pulling our weight as it is.

And I've said this elsewhere, we have a piece of the third world right here and govt after govt merely pays lip service to it while sending what could be going to those communities, to other countries instead. Unfortunately, it's not something that just throwing money at will solve, it's going to require some outside of the box thinking on both sides as well.
Until those issues are resolved, or at least until there's been some decent headway made in tackling them, I think it's kind of immoral to be spending money on someplace or someone else's third world problems.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What has Trump done?

I'd say quite a lot (most of which he promised to do) in the past 13 days, probably more than our illustrious leader has done in 15 months. Good to see you back again #Juan! Hope you are in good health.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Wise decision to not poke the grizzly bear. Trudeau's pea brain is no match for Trump. Whatever else Trump is or isn't, he is NOT stupid. He would make a total fool out Trudeau. But that wouldn't take much effort, come to think of it.

Trump's unpredictability is another thing the voters know before they elected him. He said he likes to keep them guessing. I think that's what is bothering people more than anything. They speculate continually but they just. don't. know.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'd say quite a lot (most of which he promised to do) in the past 13 days, probably more than our illustrious leader has done in 15 months. Good to see you back again #Juan! Hope you are in good health.
Thanks JLM . There are a few positive things to say about our PM. He gets on well with most of the other world leaders. Canada's
PM is in a little different situation than the president of the U.S., who, at the moment is acting a bit like a bull in a china shop. I wish Trudeau would do a lot more for our military than he has so far. Who knows what someone like Trump is gonna do.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Ukrainians, like other people, are welcome in Canada. We aren't haters yet.

But no, being the intelligent person you are, you would know that a good number of them are practicing Christians.

I posted last year that I was in Edmonton on business and stayed at a hotel overflowing with Syrian refugees. I was surprised that the buffet breakfast was eggs, bacon, sausage and hash browns. I comment to my dad while visiting that I thought it odd they would have an option other than pork. He said they were all Christians because churches have been way ahead of the government on this issue and Christians were at particular risk. His church had been working on refugees as soon as the war started.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I wasn't really referring to the Syrians so much as the other countries where there are lot of very un-refugee like "refugees" flooding out.
I'm also not a real big fan of Christians either so...
I've become very intolerant of the intolerance of far too many practitioners of so-called peaceful and loving religions. Mentality-wise, they're not a whole lot unlike the neo-liberal progtards out there.
I also do not think it's very wise to invite people that you and/or your friends have been bombing, to come live in your country. Particularly when you know damn well by the speed of entry that the vetting process was likely rushed.

In any given year, Canada accepts at least 10% of the refugees worldwide who are ready for resettlement. Some years it's been as high as one in six. I'd say we're more than pulling our weight as it is.

And I've said this elsewhere, we have a piece of the third world right here and govt after govt merely pays lip service to it while sending what could be going to those communities, to other countries instead. Unfortunately, it's not something that just throwing money at will solve, it's going to require some outside of the box thinking on both sides as well.
Until those issues are resolved, or at least until there's been some decent headway made in tackling them, I think it's kind of immoral to be spending money on someplace or someone else's third world problems.
No we did something for those poor natives . They have put plaques in all B.C. public schools celebrating reconciliation . So you see every thing is better how .

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thanks JLM . There are a few positive things to say about our PM. He gets on well with most of the other world leaders. Canada's
PM is in a little different situation than the president of the U.S., who, at the moment is acting a bit like a bull in a china shop. I wish Trudeau would do a lot more for our military than he has so far. Who knows what someone like Trump is gonna do.

There's one distinct difference, Trump is going to try his damndest to do what he said he would do, Trudeau will pay some lip service to what he said he will do and if he finds it will do nothing to benefit him personally, he'll find a way to renege.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Ottawa warns Trump team of retaliation if border tariffs imposed

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland has warned the Trump administration that Canada could retaliate if the new president imposes tariffs at the border, potentially sparking a trade war between Canada and its largest trading partner.

Ms. Freeland, who met with Mr. Trump’s secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, in Washington Wednesday, said she delivered a message that Ottawa has no appetite for tariff walls and is not afraid to fight back.

“I did make clear that we would be strongly opposed to any imposition of new tariffs between Canada and the United States, that we felt tariffs on exports would be mutually harmful to both Canada and the United States, and that if such an idea were ever to come into being, Canada would respond appropriately,” Ms. Freeland told reporters after her sit-down with Mr. Tillerson.

Mr. Trump was elected in large part on a pledge to renegotiate the North-American Free Trade Agreement between his country, Canada and Mexico, and has floated various protectionist economic measures in hopes of keeping out imports and helping U.S. manufacturing.

So far, the Trudeau government has focused on convincing the U.S. that it has nothing to fear from its free-trade relationship with Canada. But Ms. Freeland’s tone Wednesday signalled Ottawa is willing to pull out a big stick if necessary.

“We do not know what the position of the United States will be when it comes to the notion of tariffs. I took the opportunity to be very clear that Canada thinks that would be a bad idea. I’m pretty confident that Canadians agree with me about that,” she said. “I hope that it was useful for the my American counterparts to hear my views.”

Her position is in line with Canadian public opinion. A Nanos Research this week showed 58 per cent of respondents are willing to back a trade war with the United States and want Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to stand up to Mr. Trump.

Ms. Freeland’s talks with Mr. Tillerson and members of Congress – including House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan – also covered a proposed border adjustment tax. Such a measure, proposed by GOP congressmen as an alternative to new tariffs, would impose a higher tax burden on U.S. companies that import good from other countries compared with firms that buy all of their products from within the U.S.

Ms. Freeland said Canada has no position on such a move yet, because no concrete plan has been proposed.

Ms. Freeland also discussed NATO on her visit. She said she emphasized Canada’s support for Ukraine – an important move in light of Mr. Trump’s positive comments about Russian President Vladimir Putin.

the rest:
Ottawa warns Trump team of retaliation if border tariffs imposed - The Globe and Mail