Mexico and Canada prepare for trade talks

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Mexico and Canada prepare for trade talks

President Enrique Peña Nieto and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau agreed during a telephone conversation yesterday to work together to continue pushing for the economic integration of North America, the president’s office said.

The Canadian prime minister’s office released a statement yesterday summarizing the telephone discussion between Trudeau and Peña Nieto. It said they “spoke about the importance of the Canada-Mexico bilateral relationship, and of the trilateral North American partnership.”

“I can’t speak for the Mexicans,” he told reporters in comments echoed by Canada’s trade minister. “We will cooperate on trilateral matters when it’s in our interest and we’ll be looking to do things that are in our interest bilaterally also. Some of them may be within NAFTA, some may not be.”

Mexico and Canada prepare for trade talks with Donald Trump

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
As long as Mexico has cheap labour, it makes no sense to grant them free trade. This is why I was/am against NAFTA. We should just go back to the Canada-US version.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As long as Mexico has cheap labour, it makes no sense to grant them free trade. This is why I was/am against NAFTA. We should just go back to the Canada-US version.

According to that logic, provinces with higher minimum wages should raise their tariffs against those with lower minimum wages. And what about Northern Canadian cities that might pay higher wages on average than their southern Canadian neighbours? Do we raise tariffs against them too?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
According to that logic, provinces with higher minimum wages should raise their tariffs against those with lower minimum wages. And what about Northern Canadian cities that might pay higher wages on average than their southern Canadian neighbours? Do we raise tariffs against them too?

Trade is at the federal level and the responsibility of the federal government.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

I think it's more granular at the provincial level.

That is, the wage disparity between provinces isn't so significant and how much do we really trade within our own borders?