This is as close to shooting a politician as Canada will get - Hydro Rates

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
it seems.

History professors tell tales of politicians throughout the years that were assassinated for making unpopular decisions. Whether you would argue that anyone who kills another is crazy, or just focused, is another debate. For Premier Wynne at least, she's feeling the cross hairs leveled at her by angry Ontario voters.

It's clear to most that she genuinely doesn't care about voters. The years of escalating hydro rates are ample proof of that. Politically speaking, she has to save her life and that means doing something that will register with Ontarians. In this case, it would be lowering hydro bills.

Let me be clear. I do not believe she's doing this out of love for the people here. It's political survival. The Liberals are at 16% popularity in the polls. And this poll I trust.

I am also cynical enough to believe that Queen's Park realizes that it has siphoned as much as it can from this well. Time to move onto another cash generator.
---
Why Kathleen Wynne might tackle hydro delivery charges to cut electricity bills
- Premier hinting that next relief on electricity prices will help those who are struggling the most

Premier Kathleen Wynne is signalling she may soon try to tackle the sky-high delivery charges that many Ontarians see on their hydro bills. With her government bogged down by complaints about soaring electricity prices, Wynne and her advisers are scrambling to find ways to bring bills down.

Wynne telegraphed that delivery charges are in her sights during a speech last week, mentioning a letter she received from an Ottawa Valley man she named only as Lloyd,

"He wrote to me about delivery charges that make up 50 per cent of his bill," Wynne told a business audience in downtown Toronto. She said Lloyd recently installed energy-efficient windows, and "feels like he's being punished for the investments that he made."

the rest here...

Why Kathleen Wynne might tackle hydro delivery charges to cut electricity bills - Toronto - CBC News

Last edited:

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I can't see anything Wynne does coming to any good. She is just a stumbling, bumbling fool, only interested in holding onto her power. Who would put any faith in anything she says?
Ontarians brought this on themselves by electing her with a majority after it was clear that the Liberals were totally corrupt and that she was a big part of that corruption.
I sure didn't vote for her; I would have voted for ANYBODY, I'd have voted for a damned billy goat before her! Unfortunately we all pay the price.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
like Hillary, we are not even certain she has a ****** to vote for
:(

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
When they analyze the next Ontario election, unless the Conservatives do or say something foolish again, pundits will identify hydro as the issue that took down the government.

According to the Ontario Energy Board's bill calculator, I'm paying the highest delivery fees in the province. The chart below represents the charges for consuming 750 kwh/mo. I use 1000 to 1100 kwh/mo. My delivery charge was 71% of my energy consumption, or $90 for $126 worth of electricity usage.

I can pay my hydro, but there are people around here that cannot manage it. Five or six years ago, they could, but prices are rising exponentially. For pensioners, this has to be a heavy burden.

Local electric utility delivery charge

Hydro One - medium density $67.79
Hydro One - low density $67.59
Toronto Hydro $51.64
Hydro One - urban $46.91
Horizon Utilities (Hamilton) $43.56
EnWin (Windsor) $41.01
Hydro Ottawa $39.37
Greater Sudbury $38.29
Thunder Bay $33.71
Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro $32.87

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
When they analyze the next Ontario election, unless the Conservatives do or say something foolish again, pundits will identify hydro as the issue that took down the government.

According to the Ontario Energy Board's bill calculator, I'm paying the highest delivery fees in the province. The chart below represents the charges for consuming 750 kwh/mo. I use 1000 to 1100 kwh/mo. My delivery charge was 71% of my energy consumption, or $90 for $126 worth of electricity usage.

I can pay my hydro, but there are people around here that cannot manage it. Five or six years ago, they could, but prices are rising exponentially. For pensioners, this has to be a heavy burden.

Local electric utility delivery charge

Hydro One - medium density $67.79
Hydro One - low density $67.59
Toronto Hydro $51.64
Hydro One - urban $46.91
Horizon Utilities (Hamilton) $43.56
EnWin (Windsor) $41.01
Hydro Ottawa $39.37
Greater Sudbury $38.29
Thunder Bay $33.71
Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro $32.87
If you don't mind my asking, what was the total owed on the bill you used in your example above?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I've never had any problems with my hydro bill because I use budget based billing.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm not at home, but the bill was $241, as I recall.

Murphy, is that for one month of service or two? Here in BC, I pay my Hydro bill every two months and my last bill was for $352.71 which breaks down to approximately $176 for a month.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Murphy, is that for one month of service or two? Here in BC, I pay my Hydro bill every two months and my last bill was for $352.71 which breaks down to approximately $176 for a month.

That is a one month bill. I'm with Hysto One and am billed monthly. I heat with oil. The bill is for approx. 1100 kwh of consumption.