Trudeau cabinet welcomes Trump's Keystone XL decision

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Let's see how they can renegotiate the terms of the arrangement.

Trudeau cabinet welcomes Trump's Keystone XL decision

Donald Trump has given the green-light to the Keystone XL pipeline project, breathing new life into a project that was long thought dead, but a series of new demands from the U.S. president could lead to headaches for the Liberal government in Ottawa.

Cabinet ministers assembled in Calgary for a retreat welcomed the president's decision Tuesday, calling his executive order a boon for Canadian jobs and government coffers, even if Trump has said he would like to see a "renegotiation" of the terms with TransCanada, the project's proponent.

"My reaction is that it would be very positive for Canada — 4,500 construction jobs and a deepening of the relationship across the border on the energy file," Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr told reporters, referring to the number of temporary jobs that will be created in Canada.

"I'm now a Toronto MP but I'm an Albertan," Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said of the president's executive order. "As an Albertan, it's a great decision for Canada and Alberta. The province needs jobs."

The government had expected Trump to act fast and approve the pipeline project early in his term, but sources told CBC News they were not given advanced notice by the president's team that the decision would be coming today.

Trump's picks of Rick Perry to lead the department of energy and Ryan Zinke, the interior secretary-designate, have not yet been confirmed by the Senate, leaving a leadership gap in the two departments tasked with overseeing the development of natural resources and energy infrastructure.

Trudeau cabinet welcomes Trump's Keystone XL decision - Politics - CBC News

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
A complete sellout to the U.S. by Justin Trudeau (and his neocon/neolib predecessors in Mulroney, Chretien, Harper).. A submission to the status of an American Colony, an exporter of unprocessed natural resources.. Borders on treason.. or criminal incompetence by the Liberal government.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I have no problem with the pipelines, but we should impose a tax on 1/3 of the net profits on a non-renewable-resource-extraction business.

A complete sellout by to the U.S. by Justin Trudeau (and his neocon, neolib predecessors in Mulroney, Chretien, Harper).. A submission to the status of an American Colony, an exporter of unprocessed natural resources.. Borders on treason.. or criminal incompetence by the Liberal government.

I support open borders... on religious grounds too.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
hopefully Trudeau doesn't lock us in to anything stinky and allows for the expected future US dollar devaluation

A complete sellout to the U.S. by Justin Trudeau (and his neocon/neolib predecessors in Mulroney, Chretien, Harper).. A submission to the status of an American Colony, an exporter of unprocessed natural resources.. Borders on treason.. or criminal incompetence by the Liberal government.

well, I won't argue the past - you are likely correct with that observation
but as I said elsewhere, Trump needs our markets and there should be a balance of trade too to make that work.

better be wary of the IMF and co. they are the resource thieves of the planet.
and the prediction is credit will dry up and interest rates will sky rocket too

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

So, Canada shouldn't be selling oil to the US?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As I've already said, Trump's good for Alberta. Not so much for Americans. What the hell though, they made their bed

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Refined oil YES. Let's start building refineries here, instead of shipping all the jobs and value added south.

That part I agree with. Our local refinery exports 80% of its production to NYC and Boston; if we'd build that stupid energy east pipeline, it would all be Alberta crude.

At one time, there was a plan to build a second refinery to double capacity, but the partners chickened out.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
At one time, there was a plan to build a second refinery to double capacity, but the partners chickened out.

And Canada should build one or more refineries. However with the political climate up there I am doubtful that will ever happen.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What's funny is, at the time, the word was that the only place in North America where it was felt that someone could build a new refinery, it would be here.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Big business really doesn't care which government is running things. They move forward with their own agendas. Unlike politicians, big business sets long term goals.

I think that you will see some refineries here, despite the Liberal government. Based on his government's performance to date, Trudeau hasn't really done much except carry on what the Conservatives started a few years back.

One has to wonder why he isn't doing what he promised he'd do - except for the crowd pleasers like marijuana, of course. Unfortunately, he has an international reputation as a selfie guy. I find that embarrassing. For any politician, Trump included, Trudeau probably discovered that change comes slowly. One cannot wave their hand and quickly undo or finance things that were campaign promises.

Anyway, if Donald has plans to negotiate with Canada over things like oil, timber or anything else, it's perfectly natural to expect that he will do so with the expectation that the US benefits. If not, what's the point? What Canadians should be concerned with is that our negotiators are up to the job as well. It's silly to get angry with Trump if his side manages to come out on top after the deals have been signed. Should that happen, direct your anger at the losers our government sent to the negotiating table.

The trouble with that last thing is that voters have short, disorganized memories. They are easy to sway and fool. Big business and government both know this. That is why citizens are rarely considered when making decisions over things like trade, finance, or warring.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I cannot answer this, but I believe the answer to our lack or refineries can be found in oil company board rooms.

Where would you build them and make a profit? Would more NA refineries positively affect our bottom line, or would they reduce the margins of our present facilities? Is there enough demand here to bother building more refineries?

This is not government asking the questions or building production facilities. In Canada, it would be private business - with whatever financial incentives they receive from the government. And why not? It's foolish to spend your own money for big dollar expansion. Might as well skim what you can from other sources.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If there is no need for them or for jobs then keep sending it on down here. We'll refine it for you.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario

Mr Harper did say that the pipeline would be built with or without Obama. That would also include the Liberals. It certainly supports the idea that business drives things, not government. It's great when governments get the blame for things that business decided would happen years earlier.

Don't be too hard on Trudeau and his Liberals. They don't have a say, really.