Ontario premier Kathleen Wynne slams ‘inaccurate’ Kevin O’Leary in open letter

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Let's see if Kevin has the balls to fire back.

Ontario premier Kathleen Wynne slams ‘inaccurate’ Kevin O’Leary in open letter

Ontario’s Liberal premier has written an open letter to newly announced candidate for Conservative leadership Kevin O’Leary criticizing his proposed policies and comments he made about Ontario’s auto sector.

Kathleen Wynne wrote that she thinks O’Leary believes the government’s role should be to serve “society’s most well-off,” based on policies he’s outlined thus far.

O’Leary announced that he’s running for Conservative leadership last week.

Wynne wrote the letter in response to comments she said O’Leary made to media, though she didn’t give specifics about which media outlets.

She said O’Leary was “inaccurate on just about every count” when he told media that Ontario falls behind Michigan when it comes to investment in the auto sector.

She closed off the letter by welcoming the former “Dragon’s Den” and current “Shark Tank” star to the political arena.

Ontario premier Kathleen Wynne slams ‘inaccurate’ Kevin O’Leary in open letter | Globalnews.ca

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Kathleen Wynne wrote that she thinks O’Leary believes the government’s role should be to serve “society’s most well-off,” based on policies he’s outlined thus far.
Is he going after her Unifor member votes?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Which means Unifor members (Society's most well-off) will not take the best deal?

Isn't that how Trump won, Union members wanting to work and voting for the best option of that happening?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Ooooh... She sent an open letter.

By the way, Mentalfloss, where's the Wynne open letter? The link you gave only makes mention and the video in the article does even less. Do you have another link?

I'm guessing he probably has the balls and is going to shred her again.

Again? Why yes, again.

Didn't you read these two letters from last year?

Hi Premier,

just saw you are setting up a new $1.9 billion cap and trade fund that you and Finance Minister Charles Sousa will be overseeing. Congratulations, you two are now managing the largest hedge fund in Ontario’s history!

I’m just as optimistic as you are. But I recently made a promise to every taxpayer in Canada that I would call out mediocrity, incompetence and risk in government economic and fiscal policy, so I feel the need to verify a few things:

* This new slush fund will have its own independent and transparent account, right?
* I will need a quarterly statement of fund flows in and out of the account documenting the source and use of proceeds. After all, someone in your government might forget that this money was earmarked to reduce carbon emissions and spend it on something else.
* I expect to be informed on administrative head count. Rumour has it you're planning on hiring hundreds of new government employees to administer the fund. You know how snippety some people can get when you swell government payroll when no one else can find a job in this economy!
* I heard Mr. Sousa say on the radio that you're going to be making new and exciting investments in “green tech”. I will need to know the terms of each deal, what I paid for my equity or debt positions, my voting rights and what governance is in place in each investment.
* I expect you’ll be hiring an independent auditing firm to value each investment on a mark to market basis and provide a going concern letter in cases where investments might not have worked out as planned. Also “green tech” companies have a nasty habit of going bankrupt as soon as their government subsidies end, but with your and Mr. Sousa’s long track record of picking winners in this industry, I’m not worried about that.
* I’d like you to offer some consolation to parents in Ontario who are concerned they're leaving their children a $308 billion debt. Such worry warts! Yes, our $308 billion debt makes Ontario the most leveraged jurisdiction in North America. We now have twice the debt of the state of California with half the population!
* Oh yes, just one more thing. You promised that this initiative was going to reduce carbon emissions, so I will need the reduction data on a quarterly basis as well.

I know your critics say you could have left all this money in the hands of companies that employ thousands of Ontario workers and in the pockets of entrepreneurs who create new jobs in Ontario, but you told us you could do a better job with it and you didn’t give us a choice anyway. We're already one of the most uncompetitive and highest taxed jurisdictions in North America, so who cares about a few more billion in taxes?

Well, maybe some taxpayers did care. They were some of the 29,000 Ontario residents that were affected by your last 2% super tax on Ontario’s high earners. I know they were very concerned about air quality too. Many moved to Nassau where carbon emissions are low. They don’t pay tax in Ontario any more so let’s forget about them. They're not going to give us any more trouble or tax revenue.
On behalf of myself and all the Ontario taxpayers who still live here, I want to know that you're our leader on this fund.

Before you know it, there's going to be another election in Ontario and I’m going to make damn sure both of you get all the credit you deserve on this.

Oh, and good luck with the funds performance. No one else on earth has ever reduced emissions or made money doing this, so I’ll be watching and keeping everybody informed with all the good news that is sure to be coming. And, of course, we will all be breathing easier watching those carbon emissions plunge as soon as you start spending this money!

Yours respectfully,
Kevin O’Leary

Part Deux

Hi Premier Wynne,
I’m worried.

I asked you to keep me informed about the $1.9 billion you are extracting out of the Ontario economy in new carbon taxes. I was excited when you promised lots of new jobs and reductions in carbon emissions. Then I saw the July jobs report. Wow, 36,100 Ontario jobs lost in a single month, the worst decline since the recession, and you still haven’t told me any good news about carbon emission reductions. I guess your new plan is not working.

Maybe it would have been better to leave that $1.9 billion in the hands of the Ontario businesses that were using it to hire employees before you taxed it away from them.
However, I hear it’s not all bad news on the Ontario job front. While the private sector is losing jobs by the tens of thousands under your new tax policies, you have been busy creating some really interesting opportunities for your staff. I don’t know how I missed this, but apparently you lost $70 million setting up and then cancelling the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan (ORPP) in June. While in operation only six months, you hired some really special people that walked away with millions of taxpayers’ dollars for apparently doing nothing. It sounds so ridiculous that I am assuming I must have it wrong, and that’s why I’m putting pen to paper.

So here goes, true or false?

•Did you spend $8 million marketing the ORPP even though it didn’t exist? That sounds so crazy it can’t be true.
•Did you give Neala Barton, the plan’s senior vice-president of communications, $316,819? She started in March. Just exactly what was she communicating for 90 days?
•Did you pay Anne Slivinskas — the pension plan’s general counsel — $341,418 for working there just three weeks? That’s $2,845.15/hr. You don’t fool around with taxpayers’ money; You hire the best lawyers!
•Did you pay a tech guy named Brian Gill — the pensions plan’s CTO — $414,050 to work for two months! (Note to self: Send Premier Wynne my comp committee’s North American average salary report. Her laptop must have been hacked.)
•Jennifer Brown — your choice for senior vice-president of the plan’s operations — was a lifer. She started March 21 and lasted until the end of June. So, with that kind of long-term commitment, no one should complain about the $445,019 you gave her.
•Did you really pay ORPP CEO Mary Anne Palangio $465,938 for 90 days’ work? Who says you can’t get a great job in Ontario.
•This one is my favourite, it’s so out there! Did you give $485,000 to Saad Rafi when his job running the Pan Am Games ended and then hire him again to run the ORPP even though he has never had an investment mandate before? And then did you pay him an additional $827,925 to walk away a few months later? If this is true, I bet some taxpayers are unhappy about it.

Maybe it would help if you spin this as an inspirational story. You search the province for a seasoned financial money manager to be the fiduciary of the new ORRP but in the last minute hire someone who has fallen on hard times and is out of work, even though they never managed money before. It’s so Rocky-esque!

Rafi could have been great as a pension plan manager but we will never know. Giving him the $827Gs for taking this bold new step in his career is the least we taxpayers can do. After all, it’s hard to live off a measly $485,000 severance when taxes are so high in Ontario, but I know you are not spending any time worrying about that.

These must be very special people! No one in the private sector could ever get a deal like this: Thank goodness they know you. Some Ontarians might see this and assume you don’t give a damn about their hard-earned money. Is that true? Frankly, if I gave away $2.8 million to employees that did nothing in my businesses, I would go bankrupt. Come to think of it, your government has a long history of starting projects, spending millions and then cancelling them — you know, like gas plants, “green” projects and now pension plans.

That’s why Ontario is $308 billion in debt, so you are kind of bankrupting us, in your own special way.

Still I get it, perhaps from your point of view, why should anybody give a damn about the $70 million you just wasted, it’s just a rounding error.

Well, maybe the voters do. Have you seen the latest polls? Perhaps at this point in your mandate you may want to think about delivering a little more transparency and performance instead of dreaming up new ways to tax people and businesses and then spending it this way.

I’m just trying to help.

Anyway, I don’t want to be negative so I hope you are having a great summer. I know the 36,100 people in Ontario who just lost their jobs in July are feeling a little down but I’m sure they will go from sad to glad when you tell them about all the carbon emissions you have reduced. Best you get that good news out soon. In the meantime, next time you are paying people on your staff to do nothing for $827,000, maybe you could show a little compassion and hire one of your 36,100 constituents who just lost their job.

There will be an election soon and when that’s over and you start your new career, I’m going to bet it won’t be one where you manage money.

Yours respectfully,
Kevin O’Leary

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Which means Unifor members (Society's most well-off) will not take the best deal?

Isn't that how Trump won, Union members wanting to work and voting for the best option of that happening?

O'Reilly is a typical right wing conbot who will attempt austerity to reduce the debt whereas Trump doesn't give a **** about debt.

For example, O'Reilly will only reduce tax rates with the hope of increasing general revenue through higher gdp growth whereas Trump will increase tariffs and promised (lol) investments to rust belt union workers.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"Kathleen Wynne wrote that she thinks O’Leary believes the government’s role should be to serve “society’s most well-off,” based on policies he’s outlined thus far."

Hah! Pots and kettles!

Like caving in to the well-heeled Teacher's Union Members every election??

Vbeacher

Electoral Member
Sep 9, 2013
Ottawa
O'Reilly is a typical right wing conbot who will attempt austerity to reduce the debt whereas Trump doesn't give a **** about debt.

For example, O'Reilly will only reduce tax rates with the hope of increasing general revenue through higher gdp growth whereas Trump will increase tariffs and promised (lol) investments to rust belt union workers.

What I expect O'Reilly to do, and I am not a big fan, is to reduce spending, downsize and outsource jobs, and probably sell off any crown corporation he can, including the CBC. It won't be pretty, but you can be sure he will balance the books.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Kathleen Wynne wrote that she thinks
She thinks? Now that's a gross exaggeration if I ever heard one. So far the bulk of the Ontario Liberal policies seem to be based primarily on hope, ie; a wing and a prayer as opposed to any real thought processes.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yeah, he does and he will. He may have the Ontario/Michigan auto sector thing wrong, I honestly don't know, but he's bang on about the rest.
I mean you have rightly shown an obvious disdain for crony capitalism, so what do you call a govt who pays a multinational corporation a $1.5 billion bonus for NOT completing a project on time or on budget? Stupid Ontario Liberals, that's what. What do you call a govt that charges a 400% fee on your hydro bill? Stupid f*cking Ontario Liberals.
What do you call a govt that insists on getting into the carbon trading market even after carbon credits took a sh*t kicking and dropped 50% in value. Well, I'm pretty sure you get the picture.

It's like the Ontario Liberals one day said, "Hey let's copy all the disastrous environmental policies that various European countries have adopted that have led to economic hardship for them and implement them here. What could possibly go wrong?"
And just to be clear here, I'm not anti-Liberal or anti-any other political persuasion in Canada. Well, except for the BQ. At various times throughout I have voted Liberal, Conservative and NDP.
Nowadays I just write in my own candidate and vote for them simply because I'm sick and tired of politicians and parties running things according to their particular ideology instead of common sense and what's in the best interests of Canada and as many Canadians as possible. Or, in FAR too many cases when it comes to Prime Ministers, someone from Quebec who you know damn well is going to cater pretty much exclusively to Quebec at the expense of the rest of the country.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Come to think of it, your government has a long history of starting projects, spending millions and then cancelling them — you know, like gas plants, “green” projects and now pension plans.

This

Some of those cancellations have cost the government even more $$$ because when those projects get cancelled the company who lost that contract has the right to sue through NAFTA, if it was an American company for example.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Trump connections.
LOL man, things are getting nervous in Mentalfloss land.
Did you find a link to that Wynne letter yet?

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
O'Leary does fire back...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/kevin-o%e2%80%99leary-says-kathleen-wynne-is-%e2%80%98incompetent%e2%80%99/ar-AAm9fXM

O'Leary...

“I’m getting involved in the Conservative leadership race because I can’t stand watching incompetent politicians destroy my country. You and (Prime Minister) Justin Trudeau are two of them. (Alberta Premier) Rachel Notley would be the third,” O’Leary wrote on Facebook.

“You and your policies have all but bankrupted a province that was once an economic powerhouse in Canada. If you were the CEO of one of my companies I would have fired you long ago,” said the businessman and star of ABC’s Shark Tank.

“Your complete disregard for the people of Ontario has caused hydro prices to become completely unaffordable for families, sometimes forcing them to choose between groceries and heat,”

Last edited: