Trudeau's 'phase out' oilsands comments spark outrage in Alberta

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Not nice news but he's just telling it like it is.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sparked immediate anger among Alberta politicians on Friday by suggesting Canada should "phase out" the oilsands.

Speaking at a town hall in Peterborough, Ont., Trudeau was asked about his government's approval of pipelines and his commitment to the environment.

"You can't make a choice between what's good for the environment and what's good for the economy," Trudeau said. "We can't shut down the oilsands tomorrow. We need to phase them out. We need to manage the transition off of our dependence on fossil fuels.

"That is going to take time. And in the meantime, we have to manage that transition."

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3934701?client=safari

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Don't be so silly. There's no outrage here. Nobody cares what Trudeau thinks. I get that your panties get twisted when politicians politic but take a few breaths. You'll calm down.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Don't be so silly. There's no outrage here. Nobody cares what Trudeau thinks. I get that your panties get twisted when politicians politic but take a few breaths. You'll calm down.

Yes there is. Maybe not in the hole that you keep crawling out of, but yes there is.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sparked immediate anger among Alberta politicians on Friday by suggesting Canada should "phase out" the oilsands.

Speaking at a town hall in Peterborough, Ont., Trudeau was asked about his government's approval of pipelines and his commitment to the environment.

"You can't make a choice between what's good for the environment and what's good for the economy," Trudeau said. "We can't shut down the oilsands tomorrow. We need to phase them out. We need to manage the transition off of our dependence on fossil fuels.

"That is going to take time. And in the meantime, we have to manage that transition."

Let's see the stupid fu ck have one of his "town hall" meetings here in Calgary and make statements like that. The "finger" his old man got will be like a love-in in comparison.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Treudeau will be phased out before the oil even knows he was here. You should eliminate oil derived things from your life, and you would if you ever put your muscle where your mouth always is. We will burn everything in the coming decades, everything.
Don't become fuel, adapt to the new order. You probably don't even own a snow shovel? Do you?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What part of "phase out" don't you bozos get? The rest of the world is phasing out oil. The market will phase out the tar sands. The price of tar sands oil is already so low, it is already not economically feasible to mine that crap. Embrace the future, you old dinosaurs or fade away with that goop.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
What part of "phase out" don't you bozos get? The rest of the world is phasing out oil. The market will phase out the tar sands. The price of tar sands oil is already so low, it is already not economically feasible to mine that crap. Embrace the future, you old dinosaurs or fade away with that goop.

No the rest of the world is not phazing out oil. What future would you have us embrace? Oil is a renewable Cliffy, we can't stop its production, what has sweet fuk all to do with fossiles. If ever there was a gift from the gods it was and is oil.
We have to burn it or become victims of tarpits, because it will not stop seeping out of the planet.

Trees love CO2. Why do you hate trees and dandylions Cliffy? Why do you want them to starve to death?

Because of human CO2 conversion there is recorded record forest regeneration globaly. Trees feed people, that's the only reason the lids and the suits hate CO2. You're helping the bankers.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Anyone who can't see the writing on the wall for burning fossil fuels needs new glasses. It's probably more realistic to think of it in decades rather than years, and it will likely never disappear completely, but the day is coming, and in the meantime it will get more and more expensive and face ever increasing restrictions. Think of it like the tobacco of energy sources, sure you still go out and buy a pack of smokes but it's twelve bucks and you have to go over there in that little corner to have one.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Abiotic versus biotic production of hydrocarbons. The physics is settled, you may believe old rotten dynosaurs fill your tank which would make you an idiot of course, it ain't like that, the planet is a very fine producer of hydrocarbons even without dead biomass which accounts for next to nothing of the raw constitutates of oil.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Anyone who can't see the writing on the wall for burning fossil fuels needs new glasses. It's probably more realistic to think of it in decades rather than years, and it will likely never disappear completely, but the day is coming, and in the meantime it will get more and more expensive and face ever increasing restrictions. Think of it like the tobacco of energy sources, sure you still go out and buy a pack of smokes but it's twelve bucks and you have to go over there in that little corner to have one.

Fortunately, I will be dead in a few decades. My loved ones will burn my body on a traditional Brythonic pyre in the back yard, in order to save the crippling carbon tax that is being levied on cremations.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Anyone who can't see the writing on the wall for burning fossil fuels needs new glasses. It's probably more realistic to think of it in decades rather than years, and it will likely never disappear completely, but the day is coming, and in the meantime it will get more and more expensive and face ever increasing restrictions. Think of it like the tobacco of energy sources, sure you still go out and buy a pack of smokes but it's twelve bucks and you have to go over there in that little corner to have one.one.
"Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill" -nerd quote

Last edited by a moderator:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Anyone who can't see the writing on the wall for burning fossil fuels needs new glasses. It's probably more realistic to think of it in decades rather than years, and it will likely never disappear completely, but the day is coming, and in the meantime it will get more and more expensive and face ever increasing restrictions. Think of it like the tobacco of energy sources, sure you still go out and buy a pack of smokes but it's twelve bucks and you have to go over there in that little corner to have one.one.
[/
"Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill" -nerd quote

We would have burned every dead dynosaur and jungle in the first fews decades of the oil age, and thats being liberal with numbers. Just search abiotic oil and get up to speed on your hydrocarbon lore.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
"abiotic"

Is that a fancy, new word for "snake"?

New word for planetary chemistry. This planet is a refinery, much of the solar exposure is converted into voilitiles, orbital stabilty, etc. This planets CO2 producers are natural and predominant, the monkeys known as human cannot account for but a small fraction of gassing, our importance has been elevated again. If we were two hundred times as many our emmissions would still be insignifigant.
Solar system physics render us very tiny shakers and movers indeed, clams my play a more important role.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
New word for panetary chemistry. This planet is a refinery, much of the solar exposure is converted into voilitiles, orbital stabilty, etc. This planets CO2 producers are natural and predominant, the money mknowns as human cannot account for but a small fraction of gassing, our importance has been elevated again. If we were two hundred times as many our emmissions would still be insignifigant.

I remember my engineer brother telling me about possible natural gas discoveries in igneous rock, years ago. I guess that they are trapped pockets of an earlier atmosphere.