Ontario Government bends over its people yet again

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Woohoo, in the middle of a recession.

Gasoline, home heating costs rise in Ontario on Jan. 1

Province projects cap-and-trade will push gas up 4.3 cents per litre, home heating up $5 per month

People across Ontario will be paying more to fill up their cars and heat their homes starting Jan. 1, when the Liberal government's new cap-and-trade plan takes effect.
A study commissioned by the province projects cap-and-trade will drive the price of gasoline up 4.3 cents per litre, and push up costs for people who heat with natural gas or furnace oil by an average of $5 per month.

The government projects the total extra costs of the initiative will amount to $156 per year for the average household.

People don't want to pay more and I get that, but I also know that people want to see results," Premier Kathleen Wynne said in a year-end interview with CBC Toronto.
"There's a lot of support for having clean air and taking pollution out of the air in the province," the premier said. "We need to play our part. Climate change is the single biggest threat that we're facing as the human race."
The Wynne government is going ahead with the cap-and-trade model to reduce carbon dioxide emissions rather than the carbon-tax model favoured by other provinces, like British Columbia and Alberta.
"We've chosen the cheapest, most cost-effective and most efficient system in cap-and-trade," Wynne said. "We made a decision to put a different system in place because it was cheaper for people and also because it will reduce the greenhouse gas emissions more efficiently."
Unlike the carbon-tax model, in which people get rebates or income tax cuts designed to offset the extra costs, Ontario's cap-and-trade plan is not revenue-neutral.
The government projects it will bring in $1.9 billion per year. They promise to spend it all on projects that will further reduce greenhouse gas emissions: for instance, new public transit, incentives for electric vehicles and rebates worth up to $2,000 per household for improving a home's energy efficiency, such as installing a new furnace, windows or insulation.
"Climate change is the single biggest threat that we're facing as the human race," said Premier Kathleen Wynne in a year-end interview. (CBC)

"My hope is that as people see some costs ... people will also see offsets," said Wynne. "As the cap-and-trade revenue comes in, they'll see reinvestment."
What you won't see is the cap-and-trade cost broken down as a separate line item on your natural gas bill, as the government has declined to make that a policy.
The province made its projections of the impact on the price of gas and home heating as part of its 2016 budget, and characterized it as $13 a month for the average household.
"It's not a lot," Environment Minister Glen Murray said earlier this month.
Electricity prices are not projected to rise, as Ontario's power generators — predominantly nuclear, hydro and wind — do not create greenhouse gas emissions.
Using the cap-and-trade system, Ontario is aiming to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels as follows:

• 15 per cent cut by 2020
  • 37 per cent by 2030
  • 80 per cent by 2050
The province's environmental commissioner, however, is questioning whether the province will actually hit its 2020 target.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What are they going to do with the money besides try to save their sorry asses with more give-away programs?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Too bad Onscario is a frozen wasteland this time of year. Could have their own version of the Boston Tea Party and dump oil into the river.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Too bad Onscario is a frozen wasteland this time of year. Could have their own version of the Boston Tea Party and dump oil into the river.

We could dump Wynne into Lake Ontario. We are already in a "no wynne" situation.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Ontario voters continue to be their own worst enemies. I wrote an inoffensive response on the CBC site to this story,

"I'm genuinely surprised that no one has taken her out."

And I am surprised that no one has taken her out. It was removed. All the crazies are being medicated with cell phones, Instagram and Twitter. They are too busy to bother with a few minutes behind the trigger or at the wheel of a transport truck I guess.

Electronics, not drugs, will calm the masses.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Ontario voters continue to be their own worst enemies. I wrote an inoffensive response on the CBC site to this story,

"I'm genuinely surprised that no one has taken her out."

And I am surprised that no one has taken her out. It was removed. All the crazies are being medicated with cell phones, Instagram and Twitter. They are too busy to bother with a few minutes behind the trigger or at the wheel of a transport truck I guess.

Electronics, not drugs, will calm the masses.

Electronics have confused the hell out of the masses. Masses of do-gooders think that levying $15 per household on their heating NG consumption in January is going to reduce their heating NG consumption in January.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
"My hope is that as people see some costs ... people will also see offsets," said Wynne. "As the cap-and-trade revenue comes in, they'll see reinvestment."
She hopes??? In other words, we're f*cked.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I believe that the government is betting that the under 40 crowd, the ones who were born with a cellphone or laptop in their hand, will accept or even embrace the additional tax.

Who is Ontario's Minister of Advertising and Marketing?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I believe that the government is betting that the under 40 crowd, the ones who were born with a cellphone or laptop in their hand, will accept or even embrace the additional tax.

.. the ones who don't vote, get all of their "news" from 140 byte blurbs and generally eskew any form of critical thinking.

Democracy will likely not survive the 21sr century.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Regina and Saskatoon are putting the infrastructure in place to handle triple the population by 2025.

I always thought it would be from immigrants not emigrants.

Maybe it'll be Asians from ON?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Regina and Saskatoon are putting the infrastructure in place to handle triple the population by 2025.

I always thought it would be from immigrants not emigrants.

Maybe it'll be Asians from ON?

Wow! Saskatchewan will be the size of Peel! ... look like it, too!

Asians don't like the cold.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
.. the ones who don't vote, get all of their "news" from 140 byte blurbs and generally eskew any form of critical thinking.

Democracy will likely not survive the 21sr century.

That's the idea, you drug the population. In this case, with electronics. With the public out of the way, the government can do what it wants.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Who is Ontario's Minister of Advertising and Marketing?
They think giving more of their hard earned money to government will save the planet .They are in fact only happily paying their tithe to the church .

Wow! Saskatchewan will be the size of Peel! ... look like it, too!

Asians don't like the cold.
Ever been to Whistler ?

Keepitsimple

Apr 28, 2016
These bozos signed a contract with GE for $5.2 Billion for an offshore windfarm. This year, the environment minister - Glen Murray - declared a "moratorium" on offshore wind because "studies show that there are noise and environment issues". Now they have been successfully sued under NAFTA for $25 million - with a half billion dollar civil lawsuit to follow. Bozos - because don't ya think studies should be done BEFORE you contractually agree to hand over $5.2 Billion? That money would have gone a long way to finally building Toronto's subway infrastructure. With an equal investment from the city and some funding from Ottawa - we'd be looking at well over $10 billion for subway expansion - a huge environmental improvement over.........yep, windmills. Such utter incompetence.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They think giving more of their hard earned money to government will save the planet .They are in fact only happily paying their tithe to the church .

Ever been to Whistler ?

That's not cold.

We're talking SASKATCHEWAN cold, which is beyond the imaginings of anyone living around Whistler. It is a lot like Yukon cold, nothing like Pacific Coast ... sniff .. sniff "cold".

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
JT and Wynne are BFF for a reason; same policies, same 'joy oh bliss', same no common sense approach. They need to fast track the sales of Weed to start collecting taxes.