Status of Women minister spent $1.1M to have new office built

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
even with quicker, cheaper option available

Is there no IKEA in Ottawa? Even Pottery Barn would have been cheaper.

David Akin Verified account ‏@davidakin

Hoo boy: CP’s @smithjoanna found out Min @PattyHajdu spent more than $1million on her national capital office! http://bit.ly/2hH6eCY

OTTAWA — Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu approved a $1.1-million price tag to build a new suite of offices for herself and her staff earlier this year, even though she was told the cost might raise some eyebrows.

Hajdu wanted her new office to be in the same building as the rest of the agency — located at 22 Eddy St. in Gatineau, Que., according to documents obtained by The Canadian Press through the Access to Information Act.

Those documents also show that senior management fast-tracked the expensive renovation project to get her there, even before knowing how they would pay for it.

Before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed a full-time status of women minister — part of his commitment to gender equality around the cabinet table — there had been no need for an office of that size in the building.

Hajdu chose to have the new offices built instead of renovating a space at the building housing Canadian Heritage, the department that contains the Status of Women Canada agency within its portfolio, the documents indicate.

That option would have cost about $400,000, with a much earlier completion date and a location directly across the street, but emails suggest it was never seriously considered.

Hajdu was also warned that the pricier option might create a political problem for her once the word got out.

more liberal arrogance

Status of Women minister spent $1.1M to have new office built even with quicker, cheaper option available | National Post

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Thanks for posting that. The Canadian government news sickens me so much that I don't watch it any more so I don't know what's going on. At least the U.S. news is entertaining even though it's sickening too. :)

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
even with quicker, cheaper option available

Is there no IKEA in Ottawa? Even Pottery Barn would have been cheaper.

David Akin Verified account ‏@davidakin

Hoo boy: CP’s @smithjoanna found out Min @PattyHajdu spent more than $1million on her national capital office! http://bit.ly/2hH6eCY

OTTAWA — Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu approved a $1.1-million price tag to build a new suite of offices for herself and her staff earlier this year, even though she was told the cost might raise some eyebrows.

Hajdu wanted her new office to be in the same building as the rest of the agency — located at 22 Eddy St. in Gatineau, Que., according to documents obtained by The Canadian Press through the Access to Information Act.

Those documents also show that senior management fast-tracked the expensive renovation project to get her there, even before knowing how they would pay for it.

Before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed a full-time status of women minister — part of his commitment to gender equality around the cabinet table — there had been no need for an office of that size in the building.

Hajdu chose to have the new offices built instead of renovating a space at the building housing Canadian Heritage, the department that contains the Status of Women Canada agency within its portfolio, the documents indicate.

That option would have cost about $400,000, with a much earlier completion date and a location directly across the street, but emails suggest it was never seriously considered.

Hajdu was also warned that the pricier option might create a political problem for her once the word got out.

more liberal arrogance

Status of Women minister spent $1.1M to have new office built even with quicker, cheaper option available | National Post

Stop being a insensitive feminist hater.

Women are entitled to that because it's 2016

I hope there was at least one women construction worker on the crew that built the place :laughing3:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Women need to have more kids. Other then that stfu :laughing3:

Women should be payed based on how many kids they have

ThAt would fix the economy

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
To fu€king bad. I've excepted I have to work a rough tough job my whole life. Women just need to shut up and accept they need to pump out kids. Plain and simple.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
This is a misogynist thread created by women haters. IF LIBERAL WOMEN MPS are to be treated as equals, they deserve to spend as much as then men. A 1.1 MILLION TO 40 BILLION RATIO is not even close to equality.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
This is a misogynist thread created by women haters. IF LIBERAL WOMEN MPS are to be treated as equals, they deserve to spend as much as then men. A 1.1 MILLION TO 40 BILLION RATIO is not even close to equality.

How much did the state of men Minister spend this year?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Trudeau is a feminist ;) he even told us so. Nice try

Men don't even have a Minister. It's 2016 remember.

How is whine doing in Ontario ?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Thanks for posting that. The Canadian government news sickens me so much that I don't watch it any more so I don't know what's going on. At least the U.S. news is entertaining even though it's sickening too. :)

Here's a bit more of the article, DM

"Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi faced a similar situation because his portfolio had been part of the transport department under the previous government.

The $835,000 he spent on renovations and furniture for his new department – to accommodate more than twice as many employees as the one built for Hajdu, including a deputy minister and public servants – sparked a Conservative attack against the Liberals this spring.

Other Liberal ministers whose portfolios gained an elevated status when Trudeau formed his cabinet last year were more frugal with their accommodations."