Patrick Brown appears to be keeping social conservatives at bay

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Something tells me we could be seeing a PC government in Ontario if they stick to this policy.

Trumpeters are not welcome here!

Canada > America

Patrick Brown appears to be keeping social conservatives at bay, would-be candidate says

After being saddled with a teenage MPP, Tory Leader Patrick Brown is stepping up efforts to stop social conservatives from running for his party in the 2018 election.

The Progressive Conservative chief has ejected at least five would-be candidates — including those who oppose abortion rights, same-sex marriage and the updated sex education curriculum — in recent nomination battles.

“There seems to be sort of an aggression pointed toward social conservatives in that party now,” said Jay Tysick, who was vying to run in the Ottawa-area riding of Carleton until he was shunted aside last month before Goldie Ghamari won the nomination. He may run as an Independent in 2018.

“Personally, I have socially conservative views, but I don’t believe it’s my place, in government, to foist those on others. I’m very right-wing and you’d think that, in the Conservative party, that would be a good thing,” Tysick said Monday.

“I’m pretty sure if Sam hadn’t won . . . they wouldn’t have been looking at mine so closely,” he said.

That’s a reference to MPP Sam Oosterhoff, 19, a social conservative who took the Nov. 17 Niagara West—Glanbrook byelection after stunning PC president Rick Dykstra, 50, in an October nomination contest.

Last week, Derek Duval, who sold 1,200 Tory memberships at $10 apiece in Glengarry-Prescott-Russell, was disqualified from running in the eastern Ontario riding.

On his Facebook page, Duval said he was turfed after former MPP Garfield Dunlop, now a party employee, “accused me of filming someone eating a hamster off of a hockey stick” at a charity tournament.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ervatives-at-bay-would-be-candidate-says.html

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If he wants to form a government, come up with a solid plan to kill Wynne's monster and make Hydro public and a lure to industry again

... and stay closer to the center and away from the "I'm pissed off and I'm not going to take it any longer" branch of conservativism.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
If they are actually progressive on social issues and try to grow the economy through targeted investments then they will easily win.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
fair is fair
you have to lose hillary's loser supporters first

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
K what? Could you explain to me why your talking about the economy being like a real thing while on the other hand you preach about the economy not existing?

Because other people believe it's real and they also vote.

Obviously.