Companies are Failing to Integrate Millennials Into Their Workplaces: HRPA Report

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Companies are Failing to Integrate Millennials Into Their Workplaces: HRPA Report

TORONTO, Nov. 30, 2016 /CNW/ - Millennials are now the largest generation in the Canadian workforce, yet only 10 per cent of companies have done anything to integrate Millennial employees with their other co-workers, according to a new report released today by the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA). This is despite the fact that more than half of HRPA members surveyed indicated their companies have experienced tensions between Millennials and other age groups of workers because of perceived differences in values or work habits.

"It's no surprise that companies are facing a 'loyalty challenge' when it comes to Millennial workers," said Bill Greenhalgh, CEO, HRPA. "There can be up to four different generations in today's workplaces and if companies aren't taking steps to mitigate the potential tensions that generational differences can make, they will face major problems."

Millennials have different views than other generations on the importance of work-life balance, how they want to communicate and the kind of information they need. These differences can cause tensions in the workplace, according to the report.

"Millennials are the future of the Canadian economy, and it is critical for organizations to understand how to attract, retain, and integrate them," Greenhalgh said. "And that is where Human Resource professionals can help"

One path to promoting such workforce integration is through structured as well as informal mentorship programs. Despite this, over 60 per cent of HRPA members surveyed stated that their companies did not have a mentorship program – and those that did were typically informal and open to all employees, rather than focused on integrating Millennials.

There is hope, however, since of the 10 per cent of HRPA Members whose companies have taken steps to integrate their Millennial employees, almost 95 per cent indicated it helped improve integration through initiatives like reverse mentoring and generational training for managers.

"By offering flexible work options, ensuring technology is part of your workplace, offering reverse mentoring programs, and even providing generational training, companies can help improve intergenerational issues, their retention of Millennials, and their overall competitiveness," said Greenhalgh.

The full report can be found at https://www.hrpa.ca/Documents/Public/Thought-Leadership/HRPA-Millennials-Report-20161122.pdf.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I've heard them called 'the walking dead' because they just don't engage themselves with their surroundings. Always got headphones on, head burried in phone, that sort of thing.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Millennials watched their parents and others get their jobs outsourced after 25, 30 plus years so why should they be dedicated to any business when it can happen to them.....

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Why intergrate them when they will be replaced easily by robots or China.

Fu€k those feminist millenium snowflake's in the pussies

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You can't integrate 'em.... You have to rearrange the company around them and start them right at the top

I agree.

We should kick everyone over 50 out of the workforce and replace them with millennials.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Wow so much hate towards my generation. You all need a wake up call.

I got fu€ked big time by the boomer, trust me. I will be doing it even harder to the milleniums, to even out my loses

That's how the world works. Screw the next one after you harder then what they screwed you for it.

Welcome to the dream kid

Bend over and try enjoying it

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I got fu€ked big time by the boomer, trust me. I will be doing it even harder to the milleniums, to even out my loses

That's how the world works. Screw the next one after you harder then what they screwed you for it.

Welcome to the dream kid

Can i please slap you in the face?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
How about giving them literacy and arithmetic training, first? Get them all up to say, Grade 8 levels.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
How about giving them literacy and arithmetic training, first? Get them all up to say, Grade 8 levels.

What's the point? In a Marx feminist utopia losers will be rewarded equally to the hard working ones.

Why bother learning to read at all.

Can i please slap you in the face?

You can try, but I'll be helpful to you, and point out that today's internet connections have their limitations. They may hinder you're ability to perform you're intended actions. Just a heads up.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Welcome to the dream kid

poor poor princess, screwed by the feminists, and screwed by the Boomers. What a sad hard life you've had. poor, poor baby.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
poor poor princess, screwed by the feminists, and screwed by the Boomers. What a sad hard life you've had. poor, poor baby.

No worries. I get to screw the next generation even harder Gerry. Just like I was thought ;)