If you love Canada, ignore Kellie Leitch

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If you love Canada, ignore Kellie Leitch

Long before Donald Trump, long before Kellie Leitch, there was Pauline Hanson.

Back in 1996, the odious Australian gave one of the most divisive speeches in that country’s history when she made her parliamentary debut. Thousands took to the streets in protest and she was eventually banished to the fringes as a hate-monger.

Some 20 years later, as bigotry has made a comeback, so has she — this time as a senator with a significant say on legislation related to issues such as immigration and equality.

Her first speech to the Senate in September this year echoed the earlier one, only swapping the target of hate.

“We are in danger of being swamped by Muslims who bear a culture and ideology that is incompatible with our own,” she said.

To those not prepared to adapt to the Australian way of life, “I suggest that you go back to where you came from.”

Euphemistic, polite Canada is following in the footsteps of its brasher twin.

Around the time of Hanson’s newer speech, Canadian Conservative MP Kellie Leitch was becoming known around the country for proposing a “Canadian values” screening test for immigrants.

The Canadian values she identified include freedom and — oh, the irony — tolerance.

“Are you saying to me that we can ask someone about their income, but we can’t ask them if they believe in equality of women?” she asked The Canadian Press in September. If you take that test to its logical conclusion, she would be relying on honesty — a remarkably good value to have — for someone to say, “No, we don’t believe in equality for women.”

It would be just as meaningless as asking Leitch, “Do you believe in equality for all races and religions?”

As with Hanson, Leitch’s policy proposals are being disavowed by her own party members. These include rivals such as Jason Kenney (even he of the bring-in-immigrants-but-ditch-their-parents fame) and provincial conservatives such as Ontario’s Patrick Brown.

Fellow progressive conservative Steve Kent of Newfoundland and Labrador has known Leitch for a couple years. He calls her “a bright, capable, passionate” woman.

“But I was really struggling with some of the campaign’s divisive policy position,” he says. In mid-November, he pulled back his endorsement of her.

“When we talk about Canadian values, I think many are forgetting that the fact that the first Canadians, the first to inhabit this place were aboriginal people, and they have suffered immensely over the years and continue to endure hardship and the impacts of institutionalized racism that speak to the need to reevaluate our values as Canadians. But instead of bitterness, we are seeing an aboriginal movement towards reconciliation…

“As we accept that generous offer and the opportunity to heal old wounds, we should also learn from it, and apply it to building healthy relationships with those of many other diverse cultures… instead of building walls.”

Trump, too, provoked vocal distaste for his racist and xenophobic exhortations, from within the Republican Party and outside. What remained out of sight was the silent agreement of those whose primitive passions his words fed.

Leitch — who on Wednesday called for the dismantling of Canada’s much-vaunted CBC — has everything to gain from courting controversy. It has catapulted her from no-name to some-fame on the national stage.

But if she is to follow Hanson’s style and Trump’s trajectory, Canada has a lot to lose.

Populism distracts from serious issues of proficiency and policy-making, and I suspect Leitch is going to ratchet up the rhetoric. For this, she needs the media.

The Trump playbook showed her how to feed off the public’s attraction to controversy, by forcing media coverage with outrageous statements. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Rejection by her fellow conservatives and negative media coverage play right into her hands by hardening the attitudes of those suspicious of mainstream media and the “elite.”

More publicity also means more funds; Leitch is already claiming strong fundraising.

Let us learn from America’s mistakes and not get played. Recent developments in the U.S. have shown how quickly divisive supremacist ideals can take root.

Canada is a robust democracy with a wide spectrum of ideologies. We have plenty of room for disagreement among honorable people.

You can’t lead a unified country if you need to divide it on your way to power. You can’t teach love with fear. Why should the country suffer at the altar of one person’s political ambitions?

If media — mainstream and social — cut off the air that fuels hate, it would nip this nonsense in the bud. It would work if we all did it.

For Canada’s sake, let’s do it.

Let’s ignore Kellie Leitch.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/11/25/if-you-love-canada-ignore-kellie-leitch-paradkar.html

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Some will, but depending on how far she is willing to go, she might just be ignored the same way Trump was.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Ha, you're gaining her votes just by promoting your opposition to her, Menty, such is the state of regard you've come to enjoy on this forum.

Other liberals in our midst may even begin to suspect you're actually a conservative mole.

If that's the case, well done, lad, and keep up the good work!

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I live in her riding and am unimpressed with her local performance. She is rarely around and her staff isn't the swiftest. They do not answer mail efficiently, or at all. When you phone her constituency office, they always know where is, but say, "her agenda is fluid", which means, I suppose, that she's stumping for votes to be leader. (Or they don't really know where she is.)

I am disappointed with her because she has become a politician and has forgotten the people she purports to serve. If there are cameras around, so is she. There are lawn signs going up around here, and this is the headline in the Creemore Echo, the local paper where Leitch lives.

http://creemore.com/locals-dont-feel-represented-leitch-take-stand/

Personally, I have no problem screening potential immigrants. I just don't like the fact that she seems to have abandoned her constituents, and cares only about being leader. Even Ti-Jean looked after Shawinigan!

If she cannot balance these two things - being an MP and running for the leadership of the PCs - I doubt very much whether she would be of much use as PM.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"“We are in danger of being swamped by Muslims who bear a culture and ideology that is incompatible with our own,” she said."

Well, I'm not sure about the 'swamped' part, but SOME Muslims (and I emphasize the SOME part) certainly do have a culture and ideology that is incompatible with our own.

It's not possible to argue against that point.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario

A few years ago, this would have surprised me. Not anymore.

I think that rapid dissemination of information is partly to blame for people overreacting to news stories. Before the evidence is all in; before the investigation has started; there is an element that wishes to take immediate, decisive action.

If anything good can be said of old fashioned newspapers, it was that the news took longer to get to people. That gave the police and the courts time to do their jobs.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
One of the traits I look for in a politician is how much Flossy hates him/her. The more he hates, the more I will consider him/her.

That's probably best. I doubt you're smart enough to grasp much of the complexities of the policies put forth by any of the federal parties

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A few years ago, this would have surprised me. Not anymore.

I think that rapid dissemination of information is partly to blame for people overreacting to news stories. Before the evidence is all in; before the investigation has started; there is an element that wishes to take immediate, decisive action.

If anything good can be said of old fashioned newspapers, it was that the news took longer to get to people. That gave the police and the courts time to do their jobs.

That's a valid point; people get half the story, and go off the deep end with anger and rage, without knowing the whole story.

The other point is, in the days of newspapers, if a schoolbus crashed in Southern Butthole, nobody cared, because you never found out. Nowadays, it's the outrage of the hour, with live coverage on Fox and CNN, and we're all supposed to get worked up about it.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Fellow progressive conservative Steve Kent of Newfoundland and Labrador has known Leitch for a couple years. He calls her “a bright, capable, passionate” woman.

“But I was really struggling with some of the campaign’s divisive policy position,” he says. In mid-November, he pulled back his endorsement of her.

“When we talk about Canadian values, I think many are forgetting that the fact that the first Canadians, the first to inhabit this place were aboriginal people, and they have suffered immensely over the years and continue to endure hardship and the impacts of institutionalized racism that speak to the need to reevaluate our values as Canadians. But instead of bitterness, we are seeing an aboriginal movement towards reconciliation…

Blah, blah, blah. Until the a$$holes running things finally admit that we have Canadians literally living in third world conditions and recognize that money for third world stuff should actually be staying here, too many of our Native peoples will still continue to be screwed. All govts do is talk about the problem and then send several billion dollars off to some place in Africa or the Middle East or wherever while there are communities right here in Canada that have been under a boil water advisory for 2 goddam decades!

But no, Canada has been trading on its nice guy image for so long now that we seem afraid to admit that we have a serious human crisis on our hands because that might tarnish our "nice guy" image.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It isn't just "the news". There was a fire in rural SE alberta this Christmas day just passed. A bystander started recording on his cell phone and posting to Facebook. People were commenting and somebody asked about the occupant. He was airlifted to Calgary. The family found out through Facebook after 1/2 the people in SE alberta heard. News is getting impossible to control.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The problems with Kelly Leitch are two-fold:

She is unelectable, as she has the charisma of a rattlesnake..

She has the bad habit of overstating the case.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with testing the attitudes of immigrants. Should we let guys in KKK hoods in? How about swastika armbands?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Conservatives need to return to their roots. Those are the National Policies of John A. MacDonald, small c conservative social values and an economic system that is nationalist, populist, dirigiste, progressive.. founded on promoting a sovereign, integrated, industrial & agricultural economy and an equitable sharing of wealth.

If they elect another pathetic NEOCon thug and @$$hole like Stephen Harper, a quisling for global oligarchies, free marketeer, social libertarian they'll find themselves being blindsided and done in from unexpected alternatives (definitely not the Liberals or NDP).

Frankly i haven't heard much from ANY of the candidates, including Leitch, that indicates anybody has much of a comprehensive vision of a Canada which can prosper in what will be a radically changed, and much more nationalistic, world over the next generation.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You mean, the Progressive Conservatives? Yeah, quite a few members of the Conservative Party would like that. I know a bunch of them who miss the old party and its values.