Keystone XL no longer crucial for Canada's oil exports


mentalfloss
#1
Keystone XL no longer crucial for Canada's oil exports, says natural resources minister

The prospect of the Keystone XL pipeline being approved by the incoming Trump administration will have little effect on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's plans to get Canada's oil to market.

Federal Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr says Canada has moved on to a whole different plan for its oil exports, and the once crucial Keystone XL pipeline has become less of a priority.

"It doesn't get oil to export markets in Asia," said Carr as he left his government's cabinet meeting Tuesday.

"It's a goal of the government of Canada to expand its export markets."

President-elect Donald Trump has promised to grant a permit to TransCanada's Keystone XL project that would carry more than 800,000 thousand barrels of oil a day from Alberta to refineries in Texas. President Barack Obama rejected the pipeline last year.

Almost all of Canada's oil is currently being exported to the U.S. Pipelines that carry oil from Canada are at capacity, so a lot of it is going by rail. Canadian oil also faces a significant discount in U.S. Midwest refineries because it's heavier and more expensive to refine than light crude.

Carr said his government wants to take a new approach.

"I think that if you listen to what the prime minister has said about moving our resources sustainably, the importance of responding to the demands in other export markets, and not to solely rely on one major market," he said. "That is the sensible approach to take and nothing has changed."

Keystone XL no longer crucial for Canada's oil exports, says natural resources minister - Politics - CBC News
 
Locutus
#2
jimmy knows...he's an oboist.

ffs...an oboist.
 
mentalfloss
#3
Pretend like you can be convincing.
 
Locutus
#4


Liberal minister Jim Carr spends nearly $1,800 on hockey outing | Globalnews.ca (external - login to view)



"Ooohhh!!!!! JIMMY'S DOWN."
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2
#5
Alberta doesn't care what the federal Liberals think now that we can move our oil south instead of east and west. The ROC had its chance and diddled themselves. One more thing added to the list of things we no longer need easterners for. Makes a guy wonder why we keep you around anyway
 
JamesBondo
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
The single most important oil issue in the east is security of supply.

Our oil is currently being sourced over seas, and brought in by oil tanker. If there should be a crisis that effects world supply, we would have to compete for the very same tankers that others are competing for...we may even have to suffer and endure the same oil tanker delivery shortages that other countries are experiencing...

The east would be in the dark...meanwhile our fellow canadians to the west of us would not be able to sell to us( not even at full market value) because the politicians seem to be more concerned about the political correctness of blocking new pipelines than they are about security of supply to ALL provinces.

We had the insight to build a transcanada highway and a transcanada railway, when is everyone going to wake the hell up and realize that we need a transcanada utility and energy corridor?

Justin Trudeau needs to break ranks with some of his supporters on this issue. He needs to make a transcanada pipeline happen. This is too big of an issue to ignore.
 
petros
+2
#7
60,000 more rail tankers are getting the job done until the tie in to DAPL.
 
mentalfloss
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Alberta doesn't care what the federal Liberals think now that we can move our oil south instead of east and west. The ROC had its chance and diddled themselves. One more thing added to the list of things we no longer need easterners for. Makes a guy wonder why we keep you around anyway

Premier Rachel Notley says pipelines in Canada trump Keystone XL | Calgary Herald (external - login to view)
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#9
Ontario Northland's car shops are busy refitting tankers to higher standards. I'd still prefer a new pipe for Energy East ... but if they re-track the Chalk River Sub, I'll get to see some rail action until then
 
petros
#10
Remember the real reason Obama killed the XL in favour of DAPL?
 
mentalfloss
#11
Obama's a good guy.
 
petros
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Obama's a good guy.

Is he or you just like taking it up the as$? Still think it was environment or are you willing to accept the fact that he wanted more US oil content in the line?
 
mentalfloss
#13
I just wanted to see your blood vein pop


Obama's a good guy.
 
Locutus
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I just wanted to see your blood vein pop


Obama's a good guy.

that mongrel might be good 'guy' but he's a petty, spiteful, sh!tty man, let alone good president.

thank gawd for Trump.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Premier Rachel Notley says pipelines in Canada trump Keystone XL | Calgary Herald (external - login to view)

I'm sure she thinks so. Albertans don't care, nor do the pipeliners.

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

that mongrel...

You salty racist
 
petros
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I just wanted to see your blood vein pop


Obama's a good guy.

It didn't pop.

Bummer huh?
 
JamesBondo
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Obama's a good guy.

he sold more firearms than the NRA.
 
mentalfloss
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

that mongrel might be good 'guy' but he's a petty, spiteful, sh!tty man, let alone good president.

thank gawd for Trump.

No way Jose!

Obama's the bees knees!

Trump is a chump!
 
mentalfloss
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

60,000 more rail tankers are getting the job done until the tie in to DAPL.

Sure they are.
 
JamesBondo
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

No way Jose!

Obama's the bees knees!

Trump is a chump!

that is pretty salty even for you.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Premier Rachel Notley says pipelines in Canada trump Keystone XL | Calgary Herald (external - login to view)

No one cares what notley says thinks or does. Dipper days are numbered and the numbers are not large.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Is he or you just like taking it up the as$? Still think it was environment or are you willing to accept the fact that he wanted more US oil content in the line?

Mostly because Warren Buffet owns tank cars. Lots of tank cars and owning a pet presidente trumps environment and reality.
 
mentalfloss
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

that is pretty salty even for you.

Point went completely over your head but I'm not surprised.
 
petros
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

No one cares what notley says thinks or does. Dipper days are numbered and the numbers are not large.



Mostly because Warren Buffet owns tank cars. Lots of tank cars and owning a pet presidente trumps environment and reality.

It's nice to see the tankers rolling through the Fraser Valley bringing oil to Burnaby sea side refineries.

Maybe one day we'll see 77 cent a litre gasoline like AB?
 
JamesBondo
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Point went completely over your head but I'm not surprised.

If you want to score points in a debate, I suggest keeping your points focused, small,specific, reasonable and believable. Traditionally, you haven't done well at this approach. Trolls seldom do.
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondoView Post

If you want to score points in a debate, I suggest keeping your points focused, small,specific, reasonable and believable. Traditionally, you haven't done well at this approach. Trolls seldom do.

He be stoopid he cain't read Miss Daisy.
 
personal touch
Bloc Québécois
#26
Spin
 
EagleSmack
#27
*snicker*
 
mentalfloss
#28
Stop being racist.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Stop being racist.

All this pipeline action must be killing you each and every day.. Just watching your dreams being dashed on the rocks over and over each time that a major new pipeline is being approved to ship all that eeeeeevil bitumen into the market has gotta leave you with an ulcer or 7
 
personal touch
Bloc Québécois
#30
It doesn't matter how much progress Alberta makes,true or not,there will be those doubters ,meanies!
 
no new posts