Justin Arrives In Time for Massive Beaver Slaughter

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just in time for Trudeau’s visit, Argentina declares pitiless war of extermination on Canadian beaver

Mere days before playing host to the visiting Canadian prime minister, Argentina announced that it is launching a merciless war of extermination on Canada’s most recognizable symbol.

Early this week, Argentina announced that, in partnership with Chile, it will be dispatching a crack team of 10 hunters into the wilds around Tierra Del Fuego, at the rugged southern tip of South America.

Equipped with helicopters, cold weather gear and training to survive extended periods in hostile terrain, their decade-long mission is to trap and destroy 100,000 Canadian beavers.

“There are one or two beaver colonies per kilometre of river. We want to get these animals as fast as possible,” Argentine invasive species biologist Adrian Schiavini was quoted as saying in the Spanish newspaper El Pais.

The animals are all descendants of a group of 20 to 50 Canadian beavers first released onto Argentina’s southernmost island in 1946. The idea, hatched under the reign of strongman Juan Perón, was to fill southern forests with beavers in order to boost the Argentine fur economy.

But with no natural predators, the rodents soon thrived with an intensity that they had never known in their native land. (In Canada, beaver populations are kept in check by a variety of sharp-toothed carnivores including lynx and wolverines.)

The animals colonized every environment they could find, from peat bogs to steppe to grasslands. They were in Chilean territory by the 1960s, and by the 1990s horrified authorities were noting that the beavers had crossed to the South American mainland. Beavers now occupy a piece of South America the size of New Brunswick.

More..........
Just in time for Trudeau’s visit, Argentina declares pitiless war of extermination on Canadian beaver | National Post

Some of the humorous comments following the article

JP Mohr · Vancouver, British Columbia
Who will save the wee beavers?

Send them home!!! These are our fellow citizens!!! They're like the québécois or something. We shouldn't just let them be slaughtered no matter how big a nuisance they are.

#bringourbeavershome

Mike StirtonI know...lets give them a few cougars, a couple wolf packs, some Minx and Lynx...that'll fix it...

Kel Lyons"Dam you Argentina, dam you all to hell!"......signed;The Beavers.

Ron Jackson · Holy Family University, Pennsylvania
How about catching them live and dropping them by air over Ottawa.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is definitely a sign of anthropomorphic global warming/cooling/changing
agreed upon by 98% of 34% of the 18% of the 2% of ExPat beavers living in
the southern hemisphere!!! Hang tight, as I'm looking for a graph to back up
this statement.....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Birth control pills for beavers is the only humane way to go....

"The standard method of dispatch will be to trap the animals and kill them with a blow to the head. Authorities quoted by Argentine media said they examined no-kill options such as sterilization, but that the problem is too large for anything other than a lethal eradication of the rodent."

Where's PETA when you need them...................just kidding. This is a really serious problem that is affecting people on a large scale as beavers destroy bridges, pollute drinking water and ruin roads.

The logistics alone would prevent any of the meat from reaching Argentinian tables.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The beavers are more valuable

Actually they aren't. Due to the environment they live in their pelts are worthless. It is the cold that makes Canadian Beaver pelts valuable.

Invasive species I'm sorry but they need to be controlled. The great Lakes are example enough of when non native species go berserk.

There............I corrected that for you. :smile:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Actually they aren't. Due to the environment they live in their pelts are worthless. It is the cold that makes Canadian Beaver pelts valuable.

There............I corrected that for you. :smile:

Lol thanks. Drinking and yea no excuses I'm drunk and posting here and doing trivia pursuit at the bar.

I can't multi task when I drink

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Lol thanks. Drinking and yea no excuses I'm drunk and posting here and doing trivia pursuit at the bar.

I can't multi task when I drink

You are welcome, Johnnny...... it is a tiny bit of pay it forward for the kindness of Spam. Got a ways to go yet. Just to catch up.