Need we give police more digital powers?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
'I don't know that we can help you': RCMP boss 'consumed' with 'inability' to investigate in digital world - CBC News | Investigates

I lean in favour of giving them powers comparable to those in the UK.

Ironically, I believe that this could better protect an accused from corrupt police officers by removing excuses for the police to not collect evidence that could potentially prove an accused's innocence, especially when dealing with immigration and other such cases in which the accused is protected only by the preponderance of the evidence.

That said. I do have some reservations, but my leaning so far is to grant the police more powers to better protect the falsely accused in some cases.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
'I don't know that we can help you': RCMP boss 'consumed' with 'inability' to investigate in digital world - CBC News | Investigates

Ironically, I believe that this could better protect an accused from corrupt police officers by removing excuses for the police to not collect evidence that could potentially prove an accused's innocence, especially when dealing with immigration and other such cases in which the accused is protected only by the preponderance of the evidence.

That said. I do have some reservations, but my leaning so far is to grant the police more powers to better protect the falsely accused in some cases.

Digital powers?????????????????? Like giving people "the finger"?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

You certainly have an interesting view of the police.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Digital powers?????????????????? Like giving people "the finger"?

Okay, poor wording. The power to access more online information.

You certainly have an interesting view of the police.

So what is your view on the content in the link, especially the part that compares the wider powers that US officers have compared to Canadian ones?

I think wider powers not only help police do their job, but also makes it harder for police to find excuses if an accused asks for electronic evidence to be presented in his defence. In that sense, it protects the accused from false police accusations too.

I acknowledge this might not matter for criminal charges sinse the person is protected by the presumption of innocence anyway. But when the police decide to drip criminal charges for immigration charges instead as a way to circumvent that, then an innocent accused needs all the help he can get.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
No,comparing Canada's law enforcement to the Uk s law enforcement is silly

Canada's law enforcement agencies have ongoing mess ,we don't need any more opportunities placed before them so they can screw up,Canadian law enforcement design is not for the weak at heart,
NO is my vote

You are in La La land