The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I personally don't give a fukk about the poppy, but thought this was an interesting viewpoint.

The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance

For some, it is an acutely specific tribute to those who lost their lives during the Great War. For others, it represents the sacrifice that any serviceman or woman has made for their country from that time forth. Others still perceive it as a very direct way of donating to an extremely worthy cause.

Sadly, the beautifully poignant and purposely humble symbol of the poppy has added connotations these days. Rather being an icon of pure remembrance, it has become an ominous precursor to rage, rushed judgement, sanctimony and frothing hatred. The only thing people remember is to get vexed.

Some folk choose to wear poppies, some do not. In previous years and decades that wasn't really an issue. Sadly no more. We now live in an age when those with far too much bitterness in their hearts and time on their hands engage in furious crusades to dictate how others look, feel and behave. They are the poppy police.

They want everyone to adorn themselves with the tribute, and demand that the small red flower is pinned absolutely everywhere - without exception. It is their strong belief that anyone sans poppy is a heartless bastard who needs to be outed and condemned for mocking the dead via their unpatriotic inaction.

The irony of remembering those who fought against fascism in such a totalitarian way is completely lost on them. Nor do they seem to accept that the physical replica of a poppy is not the be-all and end-all of remembrance. If you don't wear the poppy you can't possibly care; an empty lapel marks you out as heartless.

The likes of Irish international footballer James McClean is branded an enemy in our midst for opting out, despite the fact that he has very personal and valid reasons not to participate. For many it would be far preferable for the Derry man to act as a tremendous hypocrite and wear one regardless.

The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance | JOE.co.uk

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We have a solution for that.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I have never seen the "Poppy Police" in Canada and i live in one of those "They took our jobs" kind of place. And i live here so you can trust everything i say. :lol:

Question:

Do you think an article written in Britain pertains to our country? We have a great connection to the poppy but I've yet to meet the "Poppy Police"

Me personally i havent worn one since grade 8 and no one has given me or anyone else that i know of grief...

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
With very functional grips. They roll in your hand under recoil. Easier to control than the slab sided 45 Govt, for example.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Some folk like to piss and moan about how they only hold six and take a long time to reload. I just say "If you need more than six, you're a lousy shot."

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
That's why I carried a Model 64 and later a 686 for many years. Enough punch without being pretentious. My service sidearm was a Browning Hi Power. I was never a fan of the Browning or the 9mm however, but you gotta work with what you're given.

I am thinking of getting a CA revolver in 44 Special. If Keith and Skelton recommended the 44 special, that's all a fellow needs, I figure. And 6 shots is just fine, thank you.

Further to the above.

I just loaded up a bunch of 38 and 44 Special for a couple of lever guns - Pumas - that I use for deer and coyote hunting. Eastern coyotes can be called in close and hunted from deer stands.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The irony of remembering those who fought against fascism in such a totalitarian way is completely lost on them.

Wrong war, Clyde.

In Flanders Fieids was written at a Battalion Aid Station in the Ypres Salient during the Second Battle of Ypres where poison gas was being used for the first time in history on the Canadian men that the author was treating. Hitler hadn't even made Corporal, yet.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I personally don't give a fukk about the poppy, but thought this was an interesting viewpoint.

For some, it is an acutely specific tribute to those who lost their lives during the Great War. For others, it represents the sacrifice that any serviceman or woman has made for their country from that time forth. Others still perceive it as a very direct way of donating to an extremely worthy cause.

Sadly, the beautifully poignant and purposely humble symbol of the poppy has added connotations these days. Rather being an icon of pure remembrance, it has become an ominous precursor to rage, rushed judgement, sanctimony and frothing hatred. The only thing people remember is to get vexed.

Some folk choose to wear poppies, some do not. In previous years and decades that wasn't really an issue. Sadly no more. We now live in an age when those with far too much bitterness in their hearts and time on their hands engage in furious crusades to dictate how others look, feel and behave. They are the poppy police.

They want everyone to adorn themselves with the tribute, and demand that the small red flower is pinned absolutely everywhere - without exception. It is their strong belief that anyone sans poppy is a heartless bastard who needs to be outed and condemned for mocking the dead via their unpatriotic inaction.

The irony of remembering those who fought against fascism in such a totalitarian way is completely lost on them. Nor do they seem to accept that the physical replica of a poppy is not the be-all and end-all of remembrance. If you don't wear the poppy you can't possibly care; an empty lapel marks you out as heartless.

The likes of Irish international footballer James McClean is branded an enemy in our midst for opting out, despite the fact that he has very personal and valid reasons not to participate. For many it would be far preferable for the Derry man to act as a tremendous hypocrite and wear one regardless.

The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance | JOE.co.uk

I don't wear one because excepting the guys who did the trenches and foxholes the rest of us remember nothing but what's been spooned into us about a mountain of dead and thier good deeds. You remember nothing, you weren't there. You repeat the bankers limp regret annually. Making it certain that you will offer up your children to the fire of war. Wake up shjthead.

I don't remember any of them.

And neither do you.

And niether do you.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I remember my kinsmen who's names are carved in the Menin Gate. That's all that was left of them after they were blown to atoms.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Yes, but it's more.

I often tell people that while the idea of using November 11th was decided many years ago, Remembrance Day isn't something that is frozen in time. Remembrance Day isn't just about WWI. It's about all the wars where men fought and died. When subsequent conflicts came along, names got added to the cenotaphs.

I'm thinking about Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, others.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Violence is good for business, the results are easily quantifiable. You got it all, they got nothing.A very good deal if you don't actually have to get dirty. Lot's of young and stunned young men will follow your lead

Like a Merican-style election?

Too much violence, too little result.

We,ll have to wait for a bit to see result, maybe this Trump is the real thing or maybe he isn't. What does he weigh? Can he punch? Will he fold for gold?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually I have never noticed this. I always buy a poppy, but find that it usually falls off within five minutes due to its cheap pin. I feel no pressure at all to wear one; after all I could give a detailed lecture on Canada's history regarding the various wars in which it has participated; particularly the two world Wars.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Reading the OP, all I could think about was Jordan Peterson. The poppy Nazis sound alot like the pronoun Nazis

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Forcing people to wear the poppy is there most egregious act of political correctness that can possibly exist.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes, but it's more.

I often tell people that while the idea of using November 11th was decided many years ago, Remembrance Day isn't something that is frozen in time. Remembrance Day isn't just about WWI. It's about all the wars where men fought and died. When subsequent conflicts came along, names got added to the cenotaphs.

I'm thinking about Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, others.
Which is why we call it Veterans Day.

Well, that and, to be honest, we don't see much good about the 1914-18 mess. We tend to see it as a family feud run by two sides that were so blindingly incompetent they beat themselves to a standstill and destroyed a continent, then when they were standing there staring at each other, too hurt and tired to throw a meaningful punch, we finally sighed and went over to wrap it up.