Breaking glass ceilings ‘just got a little bit harder’ after Clinton loss: Wynne

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Breaking glass ceilings ‘just got a little bit harder’ after Clinton loss: Wynne

TORONTO — Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says the task of shattering glass ceilings "just got a little bit harder" after Hillary Clinton's loss to Donald Trump in the American election.

Wynne told The Canadian Press that she, like many other people, had hoped the United States would elect its first female president because it would have been great for young women to see.

The premier says those striving for equality can't let themselves be discouraged, even though it would be easy to, given "some of the attitudes that were stirred up during the election campaign."

Clinton, in her concession speech, said that America is more deeply divided than she and her supporters thought.

Wynne says she fears that divisions along not just gender, racial and many other lines were widened during the campaign and they will be difficult to bridge.

She says that while she is shocked by Trump's win, the United States is still the province's No. 1 trading partner so it is very important to keep the relationship intact.

Breaking glass ceilings ‘just got a little bit harder’ after Clinton loss: Wynne | National Newswatch

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd really hate for Wynne to believe she's actually a good thing for women. Clinton just wasn't the better con. Trump was ... just like her

...and when has a point ever mattered as far as you're concerned?

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You do realize that's not the point, right?

Do you read what you post? That was exactly the point. Not hat it's a valid point given the history of women assuming roles as national leaders. If a women is the best candidate for POTUS she will win I have no doubt. I also have no doubt Shillary was not the best candidate in the race. She's probably not the best candidate to supervise an Alabama worm wrestling match so....

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Ummm...this...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You do realize that's not the point, right?

The point being that the 'glass ceiling' just got harder to break for women - I doubt it.

If anything, I would hope this might be a lesson to all women who wish to do so, watch your ***, keep your nose clean, don't sell your soul to further your aspirations and never forget that what you sow, so shall you reap. Politics is a dirty, under-handed business but that does not mean that you have to lower your standards or forsake your principles in order to participate. If you do so, then truly that ceiling should remain as solid and impenetrable as it was for Hillary Clinton.