Time to buy more Canadian wine? Climate Change is driving up prices in other regions

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Climate change kills resources folks.

Don't know how many times you have to be reminded.

Time to buy more Canadian wine? Climate change driving up prices from other wine regions

The weather in the summer of 2015 was unlike anything Chile's Aurelio Montes Jr. had experienced in nearly 30 years of winemaking.

"We never get rain during summer, but last year we had some rains during summer...very extreme rains, tropical rains, that's not very common in Chile." said Montes, who has vineyards in Curico and Colchagua, Chile, producing Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc.

Experts are predicting a drop in global production of wine because of climate change, which is forcing up prices, particularly of Old World wines. That has Canadian winemakers seeing an opportunity.

The rain in Chile was a result of El Nino, a cyclical climate event where surface waters in parts of the Pacific become warmer than average resulting in unusual weather systems in different parts of the world.

The El Nino of 2015-16 was among the worst in the last 30 years. In South America, it produced monsoon-like rains causing widespread flooding and extensive damage.

Meanwhile, in France, extreme spring storms and a late frost damaged plants in traditional winemaking regions in 2016 and a drought has cut production in recent years.

Time to buy more Canadian wine? Climate change driving up prices from other wine regions - Business - CBC News

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I will be picking up a few bottles. I think it's a mindset, I automatically go to a few of my favourite countries wine, but rarely buy Canadian. The exception is when we go to the Niagara Region, then we stock-up and I have to say the wine is always quite nice.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The rain in Chile was a result of El Nino, a cyclical climate event where surface waters in parts of the Pacific become warmer than average resulting in unusual weather systems in different parts of the world.

The El Nino of 2015-16 was among the worst in the last 30 years. In South America, it produced monsoon-like rains causing widespread flooding and extensive damage.
Climate Change eh?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
la Nina and El Nino which are cyclical are now part of "Climate Change"?

Quite the stretch even for you.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes, La Nina and El Nino are recognised as natural climate change forcings lol

What's better is that they are influenced by anthropogenic climate change which is why they have been getting worse over time.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Like I said, El Nino and La Nina get worse over time because of global warming.

And the most prominent warming influence is humans.

Why do you think Fart McMurray was even worse than it could have been, say, even 10 years ago? :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yes, La Nina and El Nino are recognised as natural climate change forcings lol

What's better is that they are influenced by anthropogenic climate change which is why they have been getting worse over time.

anthropogenic climate change has not been proven, as a matter of fact, more and more scientists are disagreeing with anthropogenic climate change and leaning more to natural change brought on by things that we have no control over.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
anthropogenic climate change has not been proven, as a matter of fact, more and more scientists are disagreeing with anthropogenic climate change and leaning more to natural change brought on by things that we have no control over.

Of the scientists who complete studies on causation there's a 97% consensus and I look forward to correcting you on your inevitable talking point response to this post.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
La Nina's get colder because of Global warming?

In the short term, that's definitely plausible.

Just as winters in some places may get colder over there next few decades because of the warming which causes the polar vortex.