wynne liberals to face Election Act charges

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
shocking I know but it's a start with this gang of arseholes.

The head of Premier Kathleen Wynne’s re-election campaign and a Liberal fundraiser are facing Elections Act charges for alleged bribery in the 2015 Sudbury byelection.

Patricia Sorbara, until recently Wynne’s deputy chief of staff, and Sudbury funeral director Gerry Lougheed will be ‎charged by Ontario Provincial Police, the Star has learned.

Police swore the information before a justice of the peace on Monday and will formally announce the charges Tuesday.

The dramatic move, which comes with the Nov. 17 byelection campaigns underway in Niagara West-Glanbrook and Ottawa-Vanier, follows almost two years of investigation.

Criminal charges of bribery were stayed against Lougheed in Sudbury last April while detectives continued their probe into the lesser offences under the Elections Act.

Sorbara, who moved from Wynne’s office to become CEO and director of the 2018 Liberal campaign on Oct. 3, was never criminally charged.

Under provincial law, “no person shall, directly or indirectly, give, procure or promise or agree to procure an office or employment to induce a person to become a candidate, refrain from becoming a candidate or withdraw his or her candidacy.”

Police were tight-lipped Monday, with OPP Det.-Supt. Dave Truax saying only that “the investigation is ongoing.”

The OPP’s move appears to have blindsided the government and neither Sorbara nor Lougheed were immediately available for comment Monday night.

Earlier on Monday, Wynne said she didn’t know of any developments in the case.

“I’m not aware of anything new — I don’t know whether there’s something new,” Wynne said at a news conference with Energy Minister Glenn Thibeault, who won the hard-fought 2015 contest in Sudbury.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ce-elections-act-charges-in-sudbury-case.html

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Your from Ontario you should know we're the provinces signature hillbillies..

I'm from Quebec but let's not let little details get in the way of a good insult.

But what about northern Onterrible? Oh wait, they 're far enough away not to care.

They do what they're told "Send money and resources to Toronto, Cochrane and make it snappy!"

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
So the Northern Life finally posted today, an article today finally, but wait its not about our most affluent citizen Mr Lougheed.
NDP wants Thibeault's role in byelection scandal investigated
But Sudbury MPP's lawyer calls bribery allegations 'absurd'

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/...ole-in-byelection-scandal-investigated-454264

Sudbury Star posted two articles today about Thibualt in addition to the Lougheed one yesterday.

UPDATE: Lougheed charged under Election Act

UPDATE: Lougheed charged under Election Act | Sudbury Star

Sudbury byelection scandal takes new twist

Sudbury byelection scandal takes new twist | Sudbury Star

NDP wants investigation into MPP's actions

I wasn't the only local to notice this bias form of journalism... If you read only the Northern life then you missed out...

Right here in my own backyard.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
For a while, you could tell if CTV News North was going to do a story that didn't speak well for the Wynne government when Tony Ryma (Nickel Belt Liberal candidate 2012) wasn't on the desk.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
So what happens if they are found to have violated the act? Will they go to jail? Be given a huge fine? Wanna bet they walk away with a slap on the wrist and a "Don't EVER do that again!" from the judge?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't expect they'll get much more than a finger wag ... but you can bet hay will be made of it come election time - whether Wynne's arrogant enough to stay on point or not