Bella Bella Oil Spill Called ‘An Environmental Disaster’

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Enough with oil already.

Bella Bella Oil Spill Called ‘An Environmental Disaster’

BELLA BELLA, B.C. — A report says two tanks containing oil or contaminants from a submerged tug west of Bella Bella, off British Columbia’s central coast, were either torn open or severely damaged when the vessel ran aground.

Despite bad weather that has complicated salvage efforts, divers were able to check the bottom of the Nathan E. Stewart on Sunday, as it rests in nine metres of water in a channel about 500 kilometres north of Vancouver.

A joint situation report issued by the American tug owner and federal, provincial and First Nations groups says divers found the lube tank torn and pumped out nothing but water on Sunday from the severely damaged bilge tank.

When the tug ran aground on Oct. 13, the lube tank contained about 2,400 litres of oil. The bilge tank was believed to have held nearly 3,700 litres of water, oil, sludge and other engine-room and ship’s contaminants called dirty bilge.

Bella Bella Oil Spill Called 'An Environmental Disaster'

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Say, I have an idea; lets put a whole bunch of oil super tankers in there since the environment is completely screwed anyways.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
It's a minor oil slick.

Vancouver pumps tons and tons of human poop into the ocean and no one complains, by comparison this is a just a blip.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Say, I have an idea; lets put a whole bunch of oil super tankers in there since the environment is completely screwed anyways.

We should be selling off all of our tankers and banning them.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We should be casterating all men to reduce overal energy demand over the next 20 yrs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Great idea. We'll keep the regular tankers going as usual. How else will the Diesel Injuns get their fuel for fissing boats and power generation? Canoe?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Let's all start by stoping our consumption of oil........... tomorrow morning you walk to work.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Part of the problem is the local indigenous the Heiltsuk people-they're too nice.

Seriously I've been all over the coast and the Heiltsuk are the nicest most low key politest people you ever met if they threatened to burn someone @ the stake then they wouldn't have gotten jerked around so bad but it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease in this society.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Part of the problem is the local indigenous the Heiltsuk people-they're too nice.

Seriously I've been all over the coast and the Heiltsuk are the nicest most low key politest people you ever met if they threatened to burn someone @ the stake then they wouldn't have gotten jerked around so bad but it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease in this society.

I see they say no to northern gateway, and no to tanker traffic using this tug sinking as an example, but I also see they use diesel powered fishing vessels for their crabbing and drift net fishing. How do they get the diesel? What do they use to heat their homes? They cutting down the "Great Bear Forest" to heat their homes?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There are no 'drift nets' used in coastal BC-why are you So Ignorant?

Posting drunk again?

So, just the Fraser river First Nations use drift nets? Sure looked like a drift net behind the boat in their video on their website.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Interesting that some people see everything in black and white: Against oil, then you are not allowed to use it even if there are no alternatives available because Big Oil has suppressed the technology. Can't imagine that perhaps there should be a transition away from destroying the planet and allowing alternative tech to move forward. Nope. Ya gotta shut up or go straight back to the stone age. Weird mindset that.