Canada Caught Off Guard by Number of Syrian Children

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada's federal immigration minister says the government was surprised by the number of Syrian refugee children it admitted last year. "Many of the refugees had large numbers of children and that was not completely anticipated in the beginning," said Citizenship and Immigration Minister John McCallum after a meeting with provincial counterparts in Winnipeg on Wednesday.

The number of children as part of the 2015 cohort of refugees presented challenges for schools and appropriate housing, he said.

Approximately 31,919 Syrians have arrived in Canada and more than 20,000 applications are in progress.

Wishart said Manitoba doesn't know the precise number of refugees who will be calling Manitoba home this year.

"We know roughly how many families we'll be getting but we never seem to know the family size," said Manitoba's Minister of Education and Training Ian Wishart.

On Tuesday, Wishart said Ottawa is downloading many of the extra costs onto provinces associated with settling Syrian refugees such as education funding.

While McCallum said Ottawa is not considering extending supports for refugees beyond their first year in Canada, it is looking at providing additional funds for education. Ottawa is considering expanding funding for English and French as an additional language programs.

"After that we hope that they would have a job," McCallum said.

Winnipeg School Division receives the majority of Manitoba-bound refugee students, said Radean Carter, spokesperson for the school board. The division is calling on government to provide longer-term housing and settlement supports to refugees along with additional money to hire language instructors.

In 2015, the division accepted 170 Syrian students and received a special one-time grant in early 2016 from the province and federal government of $600,000 to accommodate the students.

"While we are expecting additional refugee students into our division this school year, we have not had any numbers or timing confirmed, nor any funding announced," Carter wrote in an email.

Winnipeg School Division hired five additional English as an additional language instructors and one support worker for newcomers recently, she said.

"These resources are fully employed and finding more qualified EAL teachers and support workers is becoming a challenge," Carter wrote.

Minister McCallum said overall he believes the settlement of Syrians is "going well" in Canada.

"The whole idea was for Canada to step up to the plate and help very vulnerable people come from a life of great danger to a peaceful life in Canada," McCallum said.

"I have no doubt the Syrian refugees will do extremely well."

Canada caught off guard by number of Syrian refugee children, says federal minister - Manitoba - CBC News

Be nice if someone in Ottawa knew how to count properly.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So do people think that when the parents are killed in a drone strike that the children are just left to fend for themselves?? Goes to show Canadians might not be the sharpest knife in the fork drawer.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'd much rather see children come here who will want to and can integrate into Canada then young "idealistic" male adults and untrainable old people. They are the best choice for immigration.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So do people think that when the parents are killed in a drone strike that the children are just left to fend for themselves?? Goes to show Canadians might not be the sharpest knife in the fork drawer.

Re-read. Canada is not taking in kids alone for the most part. The size of the families seems to have caught the government off kilter. Of course, it assumes this government was ever on kilter on any subject.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Re-read. Canada is not taking in kids alone for the most part. The size of the families seems to have caught the government off kilter. Of course, it assumes this government was ever on kilter on any subject.

Same thing applies. All of those children grow up to be Canadians but the adults will remain Syrian, etc. for the rest of their lives. The more children in the mix, the better the rate of integration.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Something is not kosher somewhere, to date Canada has admitted $32,437. The latest numbers posted as to where these thousands have gone is the following (some cities with less than 10 are not mentioned here): West Coast = 5,865; Ontario = 5,987; East Coast = 2,387 and Quebec = 2,800. The Liberals should at least make sure they publish accurate information on the Gov.ca web site. Alberta, NB and Ontario seems to have taken more! Over 15,000 accounted on the site. I wonder where all the rest have gone. And there Liberals are planning to bring much much more. So much for transparency. Banks are offering interest free loans, no credit history checks, free money (I saw one bank giving $100) to refugees opening accounts with them. I wonder if someone is reimbursing the banks, because they are not in the habit of giving anything for free. Maybe it will be all okay for Canada and will work better than it did for Belgium.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You are assuming they are all natural children. Why would,t orphans be welcomed more than families that survived intact?

I wonder how many kids are extras
Lots as that was probably the ones that would be moved to the top of the list. (families rather than single men or single women)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
No kidding Sherlock . Every one knew but no one cared . Sad but true .

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can honestly say that some people put down as adults were actually 3 children in a trench coat. Mistakes were made.

You are assuming they are all natural children.

Some children were in fact robots, but we tested them and they could play chess and experience love so we figured the AI was powerful enough to admit them,

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't hear much sympathy for the children who didn't qualify as their little bodies are blown up into many pieces by Canada and her allies.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I don't hear much sympathy for the children who didn't qualify as their little bodies are blown up into many pieces by Canada and her allies.

That list is long and stetches back to the beginning of history. We didn't invent misery.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why don't you take a few kids in Megalooneytunes but ye'd need to put your psycho drugs in a safe especially the thorazine.
I'd rather work on the ones cause so many children to be orphans and refugees. I would be quite happy in that kind of employment. I may need some angel dust for the messier parts of the job. Care to be an assistant??

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Canada takes them in because Canada helped make thier lives hell. It looks better that way.

We're saving t5hem from the evil democratically elected Assad. Western politics dreams of Assads natural power. These Syrians have been arround for a long time, because.