Why was José Bové Detained at the Airport?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Bové called on PM Justin Trudeau to explain why he was held at the airport

Anti-globalization activist and European Parliament MP who opposes a trade deal between Canada and the European Union now says he will be allowed to stay in Canada after all.

According to José Bové, who says he missed a speaking engagement in Montreal last night after he was held up by customs at the Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, he was originally told he'd have to leave the country today.

But he now says he received a call from Canada Border Services Agency saying he would be allowed to stay for seven days.

The Council of Canadians, a social action organization, had invited Bové to speak Tuesday night about his opposition to the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA).

He is also scheduled to speak at the Groundswell conference in St. John's later this week.

Bové said CBSA agents told him he was being expelled because of his previous convictions, including one for vandalizing a McDonald's restaurant, which he said is strange because he has been to Canada many times before without issue.

At a news conference Wednesday, Bové called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to explain why he was held at the airport.

In a statement, the Council of Canadians questioned whether there was political interference with his visit.

Maude Barlow, national chair of the group, called the situation "outrageous."

"Is the case for CETA on such thin ice that it can't withstand free speech?"

more

José Bové, European politician who opposes trade deal, allowed to stay in Canada - Montreal - CBC News

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'anybody' with a criminal background, IF stopped at the border, can be refused entry to Canada. I don't think it matters who you are actually. This "want-a-be" Che Guevara has multiple sh$t disturbing charges. I'm sure JT will not have any issues with this one. Bove's attempt to portray himself as a pipe smoking, imposing champion of all is simply in his own mind. Wonder if he's still a member of the PKK?