Canada’s economy gains 67,200 jobs in September, beating economists expectations

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canada’s economy gains 67,200 jobs in September, beating economists expectations

OTTAWA — For the first time in two years, the Canadian economy managed to string together two consecutive monthly employment gains — helping to keep the jobless rate in check during September.

As well, the pace of hiring last month — at 67,000-plus — surpassed a previous big jump two years ago, and was driven by the biggest increase in self-employment in seven years, Statistics Canada reported Friday.

The unemployment rate, meanwhile, was unchanged at seven per cent in September, as more people said they were actively looking for work — usually a sign of confidence in the economy.

All in all, not bad for a country that only recently came out of a one-quarter economic downturn and seemingly requires massive stimulus efforts — both fiscal and monetary — to drive more growth.

The Bank of Canada “has hinted at an upcoming downward adjustment to its growth and inflation outlook, and there have been trial balloons from Ottawa about advancing more of the infrastructure spending to help speed the recovery,” wrote Avery Shenfeld, chief economist at CIBC World Markets, in a note to clients.

“Canada’s job surge in September was obviously good enough to provide some comfort to both the Bank of Canada and the Finance Minister.”

Statistics Canada said employment grew by a net amount of 67,200 last month — the largest increase since 59,800 hires in October 2014 — and up from 26,200 new jobs in August that followed a loss of 31,000 in July in the usually volatile labour force report.

August and September marked the first two-month increase in jobs — for a combined total 93,000 — since the September-to-October period in 2014, when 97,000 people found work, the federal agency noted.

Also, July’s report showing 67,000-plus net growth was the largest since October 2014, when hiring reached 59,800.

But probably the most striking number was the 50,100 jump in self-employment — a level only exceeded by the 56,800 total in June 2009, as Canada was just coming out of recession.

“If you can’t find work, you create your own work,” said Vincent Ferrao, at the Labour Division of Statistics Canada.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
yea! Of all those who are starting self-employment, the vast majority will be future clients - my job is secure!!!!

JMHO

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Notsoberfest, eh?
so most of the jobs were temporary event type stuff?
Jugglers clowns and beer fraus, halloween costumers, and christmas window decorators at walmart???

woo hooo!
celebrate with the recently indentured

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But the whole truth is (without denigrating the benefits) more than 2/3 of those jobs are part time jobs.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Worse still many of the newly self employed are thusly employed because their EI ran out. Now they got a year extension for starting a small business. More fun with facts and figures.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Worse still many of the newly self employed are thusly employed because their EI ran out. Now they got a year extension for starting a small business. More fun with facts and figures.
Wow did I miss out on extended E.I. What a rip , can I apply for back benefits ?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think most intelligent people have already figured out with employment figures announcements, we are dealing with a 'moving target' and a single month report has to be swallowed with a lb. of salt. Hiring and laying off is a process and for each, the reporting is often delayed by at least two weeks, so to get an accurate understanding of the employment situation, you pretty have to summarize about 6 reports and divide by 6 to get a fairly accurate figure. Nobody with an I.Q. of over 4 goes around parroting a single report much less believing it.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
"So simple a child of five could understand it...
would someone please fetch me a child of five?"
Groucho Marx

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
a bunch of minimum wage and temporary jobs that'll be gone as quickly as they appeared.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
a bunch of minimum wage and temporary jobs that'll be gone as quickly as they appeared.

Some of them for sure no doubt. Unless you are working 'under the table' you are paying income tax, C.P.P. and E.I. premiums and all that is recorded eventually, if not the exact date the payments are made.