Live in french in Montréal

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
"The refusal of some members of my Jewish and anglophone community to learn and live in French is embarrassing"

"The failure on the French side to see the global and cultural benefits for their children to speak at least two languages -- including the world's working, business and Internet language -- is paralyzing the potential of generations of French Canadians."

Mitch Garger

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Garber. Quebecers will win to increase their knowledge of English for practical reasons. Although that Garber forget to tell that Quebecers are the most bilingual people in the Canadian federation and among the most bilingual in the world.

That said, I looked at the ethnic composition of Toronto. Asians account for about 13% of the population of Toronto. roughly the same as their demographic weight of Anglophones in Montreal.

Honestly, forget for a moment your partisanship and your opinion about Quebec-ROC Relations ..... If Chinese language at Toronto became ubiquitous to the point that a large proportion of people came to use Chinese nearly exclusively at work and in all their dealings with the public in Toronto what would be your reaction? How would you feel if the Chinese became so used to that even Toronto for a waitress or a barber would become mandatory to know how to speak Chinese ? How would you feel if in many businesses we speak to you in Chinese. How would you react if immigrants from around the world chose to learn Chinese before English? Honestly .... how would you react?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I am in frenglish Ontario
when there was no political pressure to use the language issue as a fracture point around here
to manipulate the peeps for gain:
There was no language problem...
none zero zip nada not.

Having said that:
There is nothing wrong with being cosmopolitan as one's own choice

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
I am in frenglish Ontario
when there was no political pressure to use the language issue as a fracture point around here
to manipulate the peeps for gain:
There was no language problem...
none zero zip nada not.

Having said that:
There is nothing wrong with being cosmopolitan as one's own choice

It's not what I am saying.

I know that their is no issue about the language in Ontario and Toronto. Everybody speaks english.

Please read again my question.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
non:
Where I come from there are several small towns where everyone speaks FRENCH first, and being from one, my father spoke french first.
We shared resources, like school boards etc... with several small towns with both, and also with several communities which are english only.

Until some a$$hats made it a problem it was not a problem
Now Its a frikkin problem because of all the wasted money which goes somewhere...
like to the people who created the problem.
Also the services are now fractured and suffer for it.

The problem is simple politics and greed, and it's a ready made fracture point for "balkanization", which will screw everyone up as soon as some one pushes the right button.
Just like everywhere else they are using this tactic.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Lately, I cannot get my orders' right at Tim's drive through window (I gave up now. Tim is dead to me). The new foreign worker program staff (the new owners of Tim's have now completed their goal of having all FTW) don't speak French or English, so I say, yes please, if you live in Ontario, speak at least English and if you live in Quebec, at least speak French, why? because (for now), we are the larger majority of client. I speak both language; in my environment, it was a requirement, not a choice, everybody I grew up with learned both language. It has helped me throughout my career for sure.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
non:
Where I come from there are several small towns where everyone speaks FRENCH first, and being from one, my father spoke french first.
We shared resources, like school boards etc... with several small towns with both, and also with several communities which are english only.

Until some a$$hats made it a problem it was not a problem
Now Its a frikkin problem because of all the wasted money which goes somewhere...
like to the people who created the problem.
Also the services are now fractured and suffer for it.

The problem is simple politics and greed, and it's a ready made fracture point for "balkanization", which will screw everyone up as soon as some one pushes the right button.
Just like everywhere else they are using this tactic.

I am talking about Toronto

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I am talking about Toronto

If the business doesn't serve you in English, don't shop there. If you don't like a cosmopolitan city, move to a more ethnically homogeneous one.

I can agree with Toronto adopting an official language of government administration, but it should not impose it on businesses.

I could accept laws requiring certain categories of businesses giving hiring priority to a sign language for example as a part of public policy. But ethnic identity policy has no place there.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
If the business doesn't serve you in English, don't shop there. If you don't like a cosmopolitan city, move to a more ethnically homogeneous one.

I can agree with Toronto adopting an official language of government administration, but it should not impose it on businesses.

I could accept laws requiring certain categories of businesses giving hiring priority to a sign language for example as a part of public policy. But ethnic identity policy has no place there.

It's not the question

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
"The refusal of some members of my Jewish and anglophone community to learn and live in French is embarrassing"

"The failure on the French side to see the global and cultural benefits for their children to speak at least two languages -- including the world's working, business and Internet language -- is paralyzing the potential of generations of French Canadians."

Mitch Garger

I agree with Garber. Quebecers will win to increase their knowledge of English for practical reasons. Although that Garber forget to tell that Quebecers are the most bilingual people in the Canadian federation and among the most bilingual in the world.

That said, I looked at the ethnic composition of Toronto. Asians account for about 13% of the population of Toronto. roughly the same as their demographic weight of Anglophones in Montreal.

Honestly, forget for a moment your partisanship and your opinion about Quebec-ROC Relations ..... If Chinese language at Toronto became ubiquitous to the point that a large proportion of people came to use Chinese nearly exclusively at work and in all their dealings with the public in Toronto what would be your reaction? How would you feel if the Chinese became so used to that even Toronto for a waitress or a barber would become mandatory to know how to speak Chinese ? How would you feel if in many businesses we speak to you in Chinese. How would you react if immigrants from around the world chose to learn Chinese before English? Honestly .... how would you react?

Maybe more Montrealers should learn English. It is the National language. Any immigrants have a perfect right to learn English rather than French simply because it is much more widely used.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
Maybe more Montrealers should learn English. It is the National language. Any immigrants have a perfect right to learn English rather than French simply because it is much more widely used.

It's not the question.

By the way, the National language in Québec is french only.

at least you're evading the question instead of answering something like: you would find quite acceptable that the Chinese language become ubiquitous in all spheres of society even if the Chinese only account for 13% of the population of Toronto.

What would the BS and you know it

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's not the question.

Quebec is not a nation. It is just one of eleven provinces. All the rest of which speak English. What you speak at home is irrelevant. But it is important for your kids to speak English if they wish to get anywhere in the world.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It's not the question

I would learn Chinese if I did not know it already or move to a more English town. We adapt. The only languages that should be imposed on the private sector are a sign language, the local indigenous language, or an international auxiliary language. In Toronto, English fulfils none of those criteria.

It's not the question.

at least you're evading the question instead of answering something like: you would find quite acceptable that the Chinese language become ubiquitous in all spheres of society even if the Chinese only account for 13% of the population of Toronto.

I would certainly not support an official status for Chinese unless it was the dominant local language, that's for sure.

Quebec is not a nation. It is just one of eleven provinces. All the rest of which speak English. What you speak at home is irrelevant. But it is important for your kids to speak English if they wish to get anywhere in the world.

I've met successful entrepreneurs in China who knew no English.

And I've met unemployed English speakers in China. Just saying.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Mitch Garger

NAZI. How dare you tell anyone, anywhere what language they havd to speak. You are a fascist.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013

sorry but. You should learn a bit about the federation where you live. at least some basic facts.

1- their is 10 provinces not 11
2- canada is a federation
3- Yes Quebec is a nation and it have been recognized formally by the chamber of commons
4- The official language is under the federated states responsability. Their is only one bilingual province and it's NB.
5- The official language of the communal federal government at Ottawa is french and english.

NAZI. How dare you tell anyone, anywhere what language they havd to speak. You are a fascist.

huh ??

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's not the question.

No it isn't.... French is the language they speak in Paris. The versions spoken here vary from community to community, from family to family, or from one fence post to the next. It certainly isn't the French spoken in Saigon or Algeria ... but every one of them is the only "right" one

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
edited for time to vomit

The crystal meth and cheap wine lat night didn't mix so well?

sorry but. You should learn a bit about the federation where you live. at least some basic facts.

3- Yes Quebec is a nation and it have been recognized formally by the chamber of commons
4- The official language is under the federated states responsability. Their is only one bilingual province and it's NB.
5- The official language of the communal federal government at Ottawa is french and english.

huh ??
Last time I looked Nunavut was a province.
Or at least it is treated as one.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

huh ??
If Quebec is a nation why are our tax dollars subsidizing it? Are you just like all the other banana republics we also support?

ok I give up. But I'm sure you understand where I was coming ;-)

I do. I fundamentally disagree with your position and that of the Federal government on Quebec and bilingualism.