Oil worker asks for a Gubmint Handout

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

"Put me back to work," pleads struggling Kinder Morgan pipeline supporter

When Bernard Hancock, a former roughneck in Alberta's oil patch, took the microphone at a public pipeline consultation in Vancouver last Thursday, he didn't intend to get emotional.

On a sheet of paper in front of him, he had scribbled down names and statistics — the facts he needed to argue that Alberta's new climate policies ought to buy more goodwill from opponents of Kinder Morgan's controversial Trans Mountain pipeline expansion proposal.

But as he described his present situation — 32 years old and living in his parents' basement — he couldn't stop his voice from quavering.

"It’s humiliating," he declared. "Do you know how good it feels for people to be able to eat what they want when they go to the grocery store? Do you know how much powdered milk sucks? Do you know what it’s like when your bologna has gone sour and you have pan-fry Newfoundland steaks?”

It was a rhetorical question. The room was silent.

"Put me back to work," pleads struggling Kinder Morgan pipeline supporter | National Observer

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My friend's response deserves repeating:

This really burns my ***. I chatted with these boys on many occasions. First off, they all knew it was coming - that boom wasn't gonna last - but they bought bigger toys with bigger loans with no regard for prudence. Second, they were dead against federal intervention in their business and thought of transfer payments from wealthy provinces to poorer provinces was anathema.

Now they want assistance. I agree, but in future..... get on fuking board with our nation - it's called Canada! - Tom Cummings

Just another Liberal.
And you are a Conservative broken record. Does that one functioning brain cell ever get lonely?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Think how thrilled the whiny kids parents are to have him back. Perhaps he needs to few months down on Hasting St so he can appreciate a warm dry basement with 'older folk' who give him more privacy than he gives them. Give him a kick in the balls and then he will know what 'pain' actually feels like.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I thought Libtards always loved people on welfare. Get all upset when somebody calls them deadbeats and losers. I guess only when it suits them.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
He should be looking at increasing welfare payments as he is going to be on it longer than he worked in the Government subsidized oil patch.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is a problem leftist political parties (i.e. the NDP) have reconciling two major constituencies in their parties when it comes to the environment. Unions want jobs and benefits for members, while the environmentalists, usually affluent white collar workers, won't accept anything that might frighten a squirrel. This guy wants work or training and wants to be off government assistance, which any labour activist would want, but the work he wants damages the environment. Remodeling the economy to accommodate both takes time, while this guy stews at home apparently eating powered milk and rotten baloney.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How does he make it last long enough to spoil?? Perhaps he is mistaking 'tenderized' for spoiled. He is probably snorting his milk (rather than adding milk to it) due to lack of said baloney holding back the visions that come with signs of starvation. I wonder if he noticed his parents made it a one way ticket to Vancouver?

The oil patch is not subsidised. It is not a windmill ya know.
Really?? 'What goes around comes around' seems to be applicable here.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

That's not vwhat it says. The oil worker is asking for a job.

This thread is a lie.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

That's not what it says. The oil worker is asking for a job.

This thread is a lie.

Maybe he can get a job building NG pipelines from AB/BC/SK going through Washington State to Vancouver Island for export as LNG?

But what if the pipeline to the island busts?

Nothing.

COOL!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe he can get a job building NG pipelines from AB/BC/SK going through Washington State to Vancouver Island for export as LNG?

But what if the pipeline to the island busts?

Nothing.

COOL!

A job is not a govenrnment handout.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Never said it was. He has skills just lacks opportunity.

BC Govt is pushing youth towards trades over arts degrees.

If/when BC gets at least one LNG port up and running it is going to snowball.

BC future is based on fossil fuels.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think the lesson here is don't make your basement livable. Or move into a small house or condo as soon as the kids leave home.

That's not vwhat it says. The oil worker is asking for a job.

This thread is a lie.

Look at the source.