For the benefit of the entire canada: return the Labrador Quebec

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
Muskrat Falls Problems? Sell Labrador To Quebec, Says Former Hydro Quebec Executive

An opinion piece by F. Pierre Grigas published in Montreal's La Presse newspaper over the weekend says that the best way forward for the country is a simple exchange: Quebec will give 1000 Megawatts of power to this province in exchange for the entirety of Labrador.

Grigas says only intervention from Quebec could solve the situation to the benefit of all Canadians, as long as Gull Island is also realized by Quebec in the deal. He says that many rivers on the North Shore that could potentially be developed into hydroelectric projects may never happen if border disputes continue.

Grigas takes issue with Labrador being attached to Newfoundland in the first place. He questions how the Privy Council of London in 1927 could have attached Labrador to Newfoundland, which was at that time a British Colony without any reaction from the Government of Canada.

Grigas says the solution may be controversial, but it would lead to the realization of a dozen major projects and would provide First Nations people with a future much more positive than that offered by the Government of Newfoundland.

VOCM - Muskrat Falls Problems? Sell Labrador to Quebec, says Former Hydro Quebec Executive

Something tells me that the principle of the common good for the federation will not be considered for this issue. It will not be considered as a valid argument by the canadians as in the case of the pipeline. :)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Better yet, turn over all of northern Quebec to the natives, that way it will be run properly. Make it an independent Province under native rule.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why sell Labrador to Quebec when each municipality in Labrador could hold its own referendum. Any municipality that votes to join Quebec should have its wishes respected on the condition that Quebec accepts it too. For example, if a municipality votes to join Quebec but all surrounding municipalities oppose it and Quebec does not want a corridor in its province, Quebec would reserve the right to refuse it.

This could mean that the whole of Labrador joins Quebec or a part of Labrador, or none of Labrador, according to the will of each municipality. Either way though, it would save Quebec mony on having to buy it, no?

Another thing. Given the freedom of language that Labradorians are used to in the private sector, Quebec might want to cut a deal whereby only those parts of Bill 101 that apply to the language of government administration would apply to Labrador, but not the private sector. This would mean that the official language of the provincial government would be French across Labrador but private businesses would still be free to operate in whatever language it wants to. I doubt Labradorians want their own Pastagate.

Better yet, turn over all of northern Quebec to the natives, that way it will be run properly. Make it an independent Province under native rule.

Actually, the Inuit of Northern Quebec speak the same language as the majority of Nunavut. Why not give each municipality in Northern Quebec a referendum on joining Nunavut. It would save money too. Why spend so much money on French-Inuktitut bilingualism in Northern Quebec when under Nunavut it coudl just function in Inuktitut. It would save teh taxpayer money and everyone would be happy.

Maybe the same principle as Labrador. Nunavut could refuse any isolated municipality.

ON that note, why not give municipalities of South Eastern Ontario a referendum to join Quebec, again with a guarantee that Quebec's language Charter would apply only to the language of government administration but that private businesses in the new territories woudl be exempted from Bill 101.

In exchange, maybe some English-speaking border towns in Quebec could be given a similar referendum.

Montreal would be tricky though since it is not on a border with another province so unless Ontario didn't mind a corridor, Ontario would proably refuse it. The other option ould be for the English-speaking towns of the Monreal area to become a Free Economic Zone or a Special Administratige Region, a kind of municipal province in its own right perhaps in close cooperation with the Ontario goverment. For example, it might pay Ontario for the right to use its public-school curriculum. Inversely, it might share many agreements with the province of Quebec too.

This would also save those municipalities money by allowing them to function unilingually in English.

What I don't understand is why Quebec would be so stupid as to buy Labrador when it could just invite any willing municipality to join it through a referendum? It could offer the same to Southern Ontario too.

Another thing I don't get, Queb, is you told me a while ago that you did not want labrador or Eastern Ontario to join Quebec and also did not want English-Quebec to join Ontario either. What made you change your mind?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Give Labrador back to the Kaybeckers
Don't make them have to take it away
Give Labrador back to the Kaybeckers
Give the Kaybeckers Labrador today

-- Apologies to Paul McCartney

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Grigas takes issue with Labrador being attached to Newfoundland in the first place. He questions how the Privy Council of London in 1927 could have attached Labrador to Newfoundland, which was at that time a British Colony without any reaction from the Government of Canada.

It wasn't a part of Canada

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
I am not surprised at all these comments :)

I could have put my paycheck on it.

Help us Quebecers with the pipeline. This is for the good of Canada :)))))

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I am not surprised at all these comments :)

I could have put my paycheck on it.

Help us Quebecers with the pipeline. This is for the good of Canada :)))))

What comments?

Which is more democratic: for Quebec to buy Labrador from Newfoundland without consulting with the residents of Labrador or to have the residents of Labrador themselves decided in municipal elections whether they want to join Quebec (in which case Quebec would then not even need to uy Labrador from Newfoundland since the willing municipalities would simply change provincial jurisdictions freely of their own free will?

Also, if having Labrador join Quebec could be advantageous to Quebec, why would Quebec not be willing to make some kind of offer like saying that Biill 101 would apply only to the Government and not to the public schools and the private sector in Labrador?

Are you saying that rather than try to woo Labradorians to Quebec, the Government of Quebec should just make a financial deal with the Government of Newfoundand without even consulting the people of Labrador?

And as for the pipeline, every municipality it goes through should agree to allow it, whether in Quebec or elsewhere. So that's not specific to Quebec.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
What comments?

Let's be serious. I don't believe for a second that Newfoundland would consider giving up its claim on Labrador, even if it they get it as a gift by canada at the expense of Quebec. I don't expect any gifts from the ROC and I am against any form of gifts to the ROC from Quebec.

But I expected this outpouring of hatred. I had great fun.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Let's be serious. I don't believe for a second that Newfoundland would consider giving up its claim on Labrador, even if it they get it as a gift by canada at the expense of Quebec. I don't expect any gifts from the ROC and I am against any form of gifts to the ROC from Quebec.

I haven't checked the demographics of Labrador for a long time, but I presume it's still majority French-speaking.

From the standpoint of administrative efficiency, it would make sense. That way Newfoundland doesn't need to spend as much money translating laws, etc. into French. Instead, the majority-French municipalities join Quebec, newfoundland could adopt English as the sole language of government administration throughout its territory, which would save it much money. Meanwhile, the language of government administration throughout the new Quebec would be unilingual French, again saving much money.

One concern might be the impact of Bill 101 on Labrador businesses. A simple solution there would be for Bill 101 to apply only to government administration in Labrador, with public schools and businesses being left free in Labrador.

Essentially, Labrador would be a part of Quebec but it would be exempted from some laws.

Maybe even entrench a constitutional guarantee that the only language laws Quebec could impose of Labrador would be to make French the official language of government administration or guarantee special rights for sign languages and the local indigenous language, but with education and the private sector being guaranteed significant linguistic freedom.

Again, a part of Quebec but with a special status within Quebec.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How about they hold a referendum to see if they become a Territory for 100 years and then become a Province?
Ship all the refugees you can import to that Territory under the promise that Hudson Bay will be ice free in 20 years. By then the fishing industry will be established and the winter ice will be an asset to harvesting the fish and instantly frozen and ready for export via cargo aitcraft or ships docked where the ice ends.
Give every immigrant 1/4 section of Bay front property as an incentive to stay once they are there and in 20 years it is theirs and it should be an operating business linked to the ice fishing industry as it includes feeding the fish so the harvest is easy and the fish are as big as possible. The bad news is seals might get to be 20 ft long and they will be hunting the bears which have become excellent at catching fish. Need I say more.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

If you're looking for negatives, you'll find them every time.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If you're looking for negatives, you'll find them every time.

I agree with you.

I bet many Ontarians would be happy to give their majority-French municipalities to Quebec on the condition that the municipalities do so democratically by voting to do so.It would save Ontario taxpayers money by no longer having to spend so much on French translation. Should Ontario municipalities wish to join Quebec on the condition that Quebec's language laws apply to the government only in these 'new territories' and leave public schools and businesses alone, Ontario would probably be happy to negotiate that, and Quebec would be stupid to turn such an offer down.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

So, when should the return of the equalization payments you have gotten over the years be made? E-transfer is safer than the mail these days. Be about the same amount as they spend in Florida as part of the Snowbird migration so no real harm done.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, when should the return of the equalization payments you have gotten over the years be made? E-transfer is safer than the mail these days. Be about the same amount as they spend in Florida as part of the Snowbird migration so no real harm done.

Queb opposes equalization payments I think, so you're preaching to the choir.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
So, when should the return of the equalization payments you have gotten over the years be returned. E-transfer is safer than the mail these days. Be about the same amount as they spend in Florida as part of the Snowbird migration so no rael harm done.

it would be with pleasure, with all interests. We will put in the balance all the money that Quebec paid, the debt of Ontario and the purchase of Nort-west Territories to the Hudson Bay company (That was including Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, North of Ontario and labrador). No problem.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Sorry but the Newfoundlanders settled long the Labrador shore hundreds of years ago and the French never did. So e Badque fid but that was hundreds of years ago and not only did they not stay, they are not French.

Your claim to Labrador is totally bogus and typical of a sovereigntist/fascist. You are goddam lucky that you weren't forced to live on St.Pierre. As they say in Texas, you are all hat and no cattle.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
Sorry but the Newfoundlanders settled long the Labrador shore hundreds of years ago and the French never did. So e Badque fid but that was hundreds of years ago and not only did they not stay, they are not French.

Your claim to Labrador is totally bogus and typical of a sovereigntist/fascist. You are goddam lucky that you weren't forced to live on St.Pierre. As they say in Texas, you are all hat and no cattle.

Oh... if the fact that french was on a territory before english is a good reason to claim a territory.... Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan should be attached to Québec ;-)

By the way, I personally have no claim on Labrador and it's the same for most of Quebecers. it's just funny to see how canadians can fall in the hate when it's question of Québec.

Keep going, Québec will help you with your pipeline. :)