Ottawa to Provinces: A national carbon price is coming whether you like it or not

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Ottawa to impose a national carbon price on the provinces

The Liberal government will move this fall to impose a minimum, national carbon price on provinces that fail to adopt their own pricing system for reducing greenhouse-gas emissions, a plan that is adamantly opposed by some key premiers.

Ottawa will require provinces to adopt either a carbon tax or cap-and-trade approach and to meet a federally established minimum price, Ms. McKenna said on CTV’s Question Period. The federal government will impose its own system on provinces that fail to meet that minimum threshold, the minister said.

“It’s mandatory that everyone will have to have a price on carbon,” Ms. McKenna said Sunday. “If provinces don’t do that, the federal government will provide a backstop.”

Ms. McKenna said the government will outline its plan prior to a first ministers’ meeting this fall at which federal, provincial and territorial leaders aim to conclude a national climate strategy.

Ottawa is looking at options for a carbon levy – likely in the form of higher taxes on fuels – that would be imposed on provinces that refuse to adopt their own plans or fail to meet the federal minimum price, sources have told The Globe and Mail.

The government’s determination to implement a national carbon price is meeting with resistance and some outright opposition from premiers. Provinces that already have carbon-pricing regimes, notably Quebec, worry that Ottawa will intervene and force them to get tougher, while the premiers in Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia argue that they have their own climate plans and that the federal approach will hurt key industries and consumers.

Ms. McKenna said that provinces can choose a tax on greenhouse-gas emissions, which British Columbia and Alberta have adopted, or the cap-and-trade approach favoured by Ontario and Quebec.

The price will have to be sufficiently high to encourage businesses and consumers to conserve energy or switch to cleaner, renewable sources, she said. And it will have to rise over time.

Ottawa to impose a national carbon price on the provinces - The Globe and Mail

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Way to fukk the economy. Brilliant move by a useless PM dedicated to turning Canada into a third world country where the only people with money are trust fund kids and government employees.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
A carbon tax is worse than religious indulgences, and even less provable
Its adherents intend to bone everyone...
Not just the little boys
As long as the boys at the top get their cut, it all good, and of course as always with them it's
" competition is a sin "
(just like with the dope dealing cartels they run, and the arms they sell...and the money they launder)

"In recent months, dioceses around the world have been offering Catholics a spiritual benefit that fell out of favor decades ago — the indulgence, a sort of amnesty from punishment in the afterlife — and reminding them of the church’s clout in mitigating the wages of sin.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html?_r=0

well save some tar for the feathers

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hey, remember the good old days?
off the king if the weather sucks?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I think the economy and the unemployment rate is going to have to get a lot worse for a longer period of time before the Lefties realize the Libs are going in the wrong direction.

For now the best one can do is to hunker down for the next three or four years and hope the debt does not go into a totally free fall in the interm.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Like the one Harper gave us last year?
But there wasn't a recession last year.

I think the economy and the unemployment rate is going to have to get a lot worse for a longer period of time before the Lefties realize the Libs are going in the wrong direction.

For now the best one can do is to hunker down for the next three or four years and hope the debt does not go into a totally free fall in the interm.
Fight don't hunker. the Libs are counting on the electorate hunkering.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
The country is wealthy in energy but it is not evenly distributed. Ontario and quebec are rich in hydro. Alberta is rich with oil patch jobs. Nova Scotia has neither, and they rely much more heavily on heating oil.

Sure enough, someone will look at Ontario's gas sipping cars, raise the rates on carbon with no consideration for Nova Scotians that are taking the bus, and heating their homes with oil.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How much of this alleged tax will actually go to where it's supposed to? A vote for Liberals at any level is a vote for corporate greed and organized crime. They even stole the adjective....

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Someone needs to pay for Canada being the new 'hip example' to the rest of the world, but that cool status means giving away lots of money. Every time JT goes anywhere in the world, he's either pledging money or giving away something. I would be a lot more accepting if I did not see so much need right here in Canada. I still cannot get my head around the $1,000 a month (CPP + OAS) for our seniors.... it's absurd really. Could even one or two of the billion be kept here in Canada and given to our elderly?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

You must be an ultra orthodox religious nut to believe the debt thing is not going all the way to hell.
All the lefties and righties left the building a decade ago, or more. I look arround now and I can't really find any of either, they used to be thick here about and you could pick them from a crowd now everyone looks the same.

Someone needs to pay for Canada being the new 'hip example' to the rest of the world, but that cool status means giving away lots of money. Every time JT goes anywhere in the world, he's either pledging money or giving away something. I would be a lot more accepting if I did not see so much need right here in Canada. I still cannot get my head around the $1,000 a month (CPP + OAS) for our seniors.... it's absurd really. Could even one or two of the billion be kept here in Canada and given to our elderly?

The elderly know it's a mistake to get old in Canada, especially this time of year when next they will have to eat and freeze or heat and die of starvation. Ya Trudeau is very generous given the existing domestic insuffiencies. He's all smiles and flowers, hugs and kisses, he's no good for this country. He's wallpaper.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It will put the an immense and utterly useless burden on the Canadian economy and put it at a fragmenting competitive disadvantage in the Free Trade milieu. Especially now, in the growing certainty that Donald Trump, a firm AGW denier, will take the Whitehouse.

Justin is too weak and stupid to rise above the feminist, radical environmentalist, morally relativistic, death infused ideologies of our of our time, he has not the vision nor the intellectual and moral force of personality. He's a pusssywhipped little puppy on the leash of feminist, homosexual, gnostic and ecofascist cabals that control the Liberal Party.

The Liberals are on the wrong side of history. The represent a bankrupt philosophical system in economy and society that has spurred an electoral revolt throughout the West. The cohesion of the their caucus will disentangle as their poll numbers and prospects of reelection plummet.

Whatever they do.. it can be reversed as some reason and competence returns to governance.

Last edited: