GTA's secret world of polygamy

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Funny thing about polygamy ... it's always about trading up for ever-younger "wives", "concubines" or whatever you want to call them. So ... I guess the squishy leftists will just shrug-off "cultural" differences in marriage ... but ... how young will the Libs allow them to go ? Menstrual age ? Pre-menstrual ? 16yo ? 14yo ? ... 8yo ? After all ... it IS their culture. How dare we be so square, and white, and ... Judeo-Christian

More Pavilions At Folkfest - Small Dead Animals

There were no pleasantries, there was no small talk. Safa Rigby had expected to hear her husband's voice when the phone rang one morning. Instead, the caller didn't even bother to say hello.

"You think you know your husband. You don't know him at all," said the man, a friend of her husband's. "His car is parked outside my house right now. He is with my ex-wife. They just got married last week," the man said.

It took a minute for the news to sink in. Then she called her husband of 14 years, demanding to know if what she had just been told was true – that while she spent a year in Egypt raising their four children in a more Islamic environment, he had used it as an opportunity to marry not just one, but two other women in Toronto.

"Yes, I'm married," he said, quashing all her dreams of their future together.

He told her he was married in a small ceremony 20 days earlier, officiated by Aly Hindy, a well-known Toronto imam, at his Scarborough mosque.

"I cried for six days straight. Lost my appetite, ignored the kids, even had to start taking antidepressants," said Rigby, 35. "What I couldn't understand was how such a thing could happen in Toronto, my hometown, where polygamy is supposed to be illegal."

mo

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2008/05/24/gtas_secret_world_of_polygamy.html

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It's bad enough dealing with 1 wife sometimes, why would you want more? Can you imagine having 3 or 4 or 6 of them at 'that time' all together.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
yawn
Polygamy?
damn mormons

henry the eigth I am I am
i didn't like wifey number one so I had the hang man rip her lips off...
and married wifey number two...
Now that's a MUCH better system

let us know when they start with the residential schools

One of the chinese symbols for trouble is two women under one roof

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Then there are all the welfare mothers with several guys payin
Now that's a better system too
polygamy without the sex the shelter or the food

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Polygamy has been in Canada for some time......

The B.C. Supreme Court has upheld Canada's polygamy laws, but says minors who end up in polygamous marriages should be exempt from prosecution.

Bauman acknowledged the infringement of the law on rights guaranteed by the charter, but concludes those limits are reasonable given the prohibition’s objectives. But he suggests a change to the way the law is interpreted as it applies to children between ages 12 and 17 who marry into polygamy.

He said the law would criminalize children – amounting to a serious impairment of "young persons’ liberty interests."

Residents of Bountiful follow the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or FLDS, which, unlike the mainstream Mormon church, holds polygamy as a tenet of the faith.

The court heard evidence that teenage girls in Bountiful were taken across the Canada-U.S. border to be married, prompting RCMP in January to announce a renewed criminal investigation into the community of about 1,000 people in southeastern B.C.

The provincial and federal governments have pointed to the inability to lay charges, under the polygamy law or any other, as a reason to uphold the multiple marriage ban.

The polygamy law, the governments said, is the only way to prevent and punish such crimes in a closed religious community that shuns outside scrutiny and where the plural wives themselves are unwilling to co-operate with police.

Challengers argued the Criminal Code covers offences such as sexual exploitation, human trafficking and kidnapping. Polygamy, they claim, isn't the issue.

Canada's polygamy laws upheld by B.C. Supreme Court - British Columbia - CBC News

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Koran 4:3 (of Rodwell’s translation) states:
And if ye are apprehensive that ye shall not deal fairly with orphans, then, of other women who seem good in your eyes, marry but two, or three, or four; and if ye still fear that ye shall not act equitably, then one only; or the slaves whom ye have acquired: this will make justice on your part easier.

Koran 4:129 (of Rodwell's translation) states:
And ye will not have it at all in your power to treat your wives alike, even though you fain would do so; but yield not wholly to disinclination, so that ye leave one of them as it were in suspense; if ye come to an understanding, and fear God, then, verily, God is Forgiving, Merciful.

Though the above verses are ambiguous, they clearly at least discourage polygamy. One could understand them to prohibit a Muslim from taking more than one wife while still welcoming polygamous converts without encouraging divorce. If that was the intend of the above verses, then they'd be quite reasonable.

This is why I think religious-education courses in public schools can be useful. They can make students think more about what their religions actually teach.

As for the law, I'd actually be in favour of Canadian law requiring any person who marries in Canada to have to sign a closed-monogamous-marriage contract. Even if some Muslims interpret the verses above to allow polygamy, Muslims still believe in honouring a contract. This would mean that the Muslim man who'd married in Canada could not marry another woman without his present wife first agreeing to revise the original marriage contract. And since Islam respects contracts worldwide, even if the man went to Iran to marry a second wife, it would still recognize the original contract and require his wife to agree to revise the contract before he could take another wife.

I do believe though that Canada should recognize polygamous marriages that are legally contracted abroad.

But I believe that the above suggestions would certainly reduce instances of polygamy significantly.

Polygamy is healthy.

How so? If a man could treat all of his wives equally, maybe, but that's not possible unless he is perfect, and no man is perfect.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I have a book on marriage customs around the world.
After perusing it, it becomes obvious there are so many ways cultures handle this issue, it is quite plain that:
There IS NO RIGHT WAY or WRong WAY other then to maintain genetic diversity in the herd, and species survival
anyone says different is just talking smak

Only use the missionary position for the rest of your life
see how the wife likes that set of chains

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How many husbands does your wife have? Do any of them work outside the home?

His wife is wealthy. One does errands and cooks, the other cleans. I think MF cleans. But his wife is generous I hear. They each have their own private bedroom so she can sleep alone or in either of her husband's bedroom whenever she feels like it.

Queb

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2013
Where my girlfriend come from, some men have 10 or 20 wifes.

I seriously think to move there :)

.... no, not seriously.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
How many husbands does your wife have? Do any of them work outside the home?
+1000
:thumbright:
:violent3:
:wav:

His wife is wealthy. One does errands and cooks, the other cleans. I think MF cleans. But his wife is generous I hear. They each have their own private bedroom so she can sleep alone or in either of her husband's bedroom whenever she feels like it.

They hadn't invented the wheel yet the last time she slept with Mentalfart

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Where my girlfriend come from, some men have 10 or 20 wifes.

I seriously think to move there :)

.... no, not seriously.

Why would that stop you from moving there? Is there a law there that would force you to marry 10 or 20 wives? I would think that you would be free to practice monogamy there, no?

I know of no country in the world that forces a man to marry more than one wife... except Bountiful BC where apparently the man has a religious obligation to marry more than one wife. But then you don't need to leave Canada for that.

The question then becomes whether we should pass laws to protect fundamentalist Mormon men from such a harsh religious obligation.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Actually in Bountiful (and Utah) only the first marriage is legal and recognized by the province/state. All the others are "celestial unions". So really all those men have 1 wife and a bunch of women on the side who have no legal spousal rights or standing in his estate. If they are all over 18 and consenting let them live that way.