Should a third-time convicted thief be branded on the forehead?

Shoulf a third-tiime convicted thief be branded on the forehead?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Will it cost the taxpayer any money? Not just for the branding, but if it becomes infected, would we have to pay for treatment (or just make the problem go away...)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Will it cost the taxpayer any money? Not just for the branding, but if it becomes infected, would we have to pay for treatment (or just make the problem go away...)

Maybe, but it's a good investment. It would remind you to hang on to your belongings when he passes by.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sounds good to me. The question is, should there be a different brand for senators and MPs, or the same one?

For local politicians, I'd go with the seal of the province.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sounds good to me. The question is, should there be a different brand for senators and MPs, or the same one?

For local politicians, I'd go with the seal of the province.

For Senators and MPs and congressmen, the branding should be with a hot branding iron rather than a simple tattoo.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We could be kind and give the convict a branding option of his choice. Among my recommendations:

Ŝtelisto

Voleur

Thief

Dieb

I have a feeling that the last option above will be particularly popular. Short and sweet.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
For Senators and MPs and congressmen, the branding should be with a hot branding iron rather than a simple tattoo.

Indeed. There is a distinct difference between a brand and a tattoo.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I figured that branding would be quicker, simpler, and less expensive than tattooing. But we could be kind and allow tattooting as an alternative if he's willing to pay the cost himself. Think of it as a distinction between the public system and the private system. A two-tiered stamping system.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not really.... Have you seen the lengths to which some folk will go to decorate themselves?

He could wear a hat that covers his forehead, but we could start to wonder after he's been our neighbour for over a year and we'll have never, even on the hottest of days, seen him take his hat off.

Also, will he wear a hat on his wedding day? What about when he meets his potential future parents in law? What about when his potential spouse wants to get to know him better?

'No, sorry. The hat is a part of me and it ain't comin' off.'

That'll get old real fast.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Effectively, you'd be branding bald people with that analogy....

But most normal hats cover the head, not the forehead except for winter hats. Tupees likewise, same with wigs. They normally don't cover the forehead.

Now some hijabs, turbans, etc. might cover the forehead, but unless the person wears it for religious reasons and by choice, he'll probably get sick of it real fast.

'Why did you just decide to start wearing a turban as soon as you entered prison, honey.'

'Well, mom... er... I decided to become a Sikh.'