For public sector unions, the enemy is you

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
You don't say.

Laval University professor Stephen Gordon makes a telling point in a recent column on the state of Canada’s labour unions.

“More than 60 per cent of union members outside Quebec (and 52 per cent in Quebec) work in the public sector,” he writes. “The workforce is becoming increasingly polarized into two groups: non-unionized private-sector workers and unionized public-sector workers. More than five out of every six Canadian workers fall into one of these two categories.”

Gordon’s point is that with unions so heavily concentrated among employees on the public payroll, Canadians may increasingly see them as a force for the entrenched privileges those workers enjoy: guaranteed pensions, generous benefits, superior job protection, etc.

But there’s also this: while unions enjoy portraying themselves as a bulwark of fairness against the pervasive greed of the one per cent, their real target is rarely Canada’s wealthy. The pain of their actions is overwhelmingly inflicted on fellow wage-earners, not the rich.

Unions have been losing ground in the private sector for some time. The percentage of private-sector workers represented by a union has fallen below 14 per cent, or about one in seven. Instead, union membership is heavily concentrated in the public sector: 75 per cent across Canada and 82 per cent in Quebec. So when unions demand more money, better conditions and expanded benefits on top of those they already enjoy, they’re not waving their placards at a bunch of cigar-smoking plutocrats in plush corner offices. They’re demanding a bigger share of the public purse from governments, which means taxpayers, which means everyday working stiffs.

This is a very inconvenient fact for union bosses. It undermines their portrayal of the working universe as an ongoing clash between haves and have-nots, and the justification they offer for their continued existence. If the world isn’t divided into the grasping rich and disadvantaged underclasses, who is the enemy? If unions find themselves constantly in confrontation with public employers, it pits them, not against a privileged few, but against the broader public, most of whom face just as great a struggle to get by in a difficult world as the union’s own members.

mo

Kelly McParland: For public sector unions, the enemy is you | National Post

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's a good reason why the NDP should drop their knee-jerk support for organized labour that inceasingly represents an elite that gets far more of the pie than the rest if us.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
It recently took a unionized government worker 8 (eight!!!) months to just enter me into a computer, and start a file.
While I eventually got the funds that they were to pay me, it left me on a reduced income for that amount of time, untill the paperwork cleared...

When I pointed out a facebook, or a youtube account was more complicated, and a kid could do it in minutes...
Shame about your luck, sucks to be you, was basically the response I got.

.....and you people are worried about who gets elected?
they don't count for Sh!t

at least when they ( the LAZY lowest common denomiator types) are replaced by robots they will be friendlier, and get stuff done

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The NDP claims to represent workers when in fact they represent unionized government employees only. They most certainly do not represent the building trade unions. IN fact the BC NDP has pubicly opposed every major construction project in the province. These are the very projects that my fellow union brothers and sisters depend on to pay the exorbitant taxes that pay government employees high wages and bennies.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It recently took a unionized government worker 8 (eight!!!) months to just enter me into a computer, and start a file.
While I eventually got the funds that they were to pay me, it left me on a reduced income for that amount of time, untill the paperwork cleared...

When I pointed out a facebook, or a youtube account was more complicated, and a kid could do it in minutes...

at least when they ( the LAZY lowest common denomiator types) are replaced by robots they will be friendlier, and get stuff done

So, the only reason this took 8 months is because the worker was unionized and therefore lazy?

Labour unions suck.

Many people that I know in management positions find it easier to operate with a union. The rules are clear and established and the same for everyone.

Mind you, these are people who actually work in management, not people like you.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Having belonged to several different unions I have found that it really depends on how the contract is written if it is good, bad, indifferent. With the union I belong to now all our benefits are through the union and we do not contribute to any of it. How Job descriptions are written and the ability to change jobs are what makes the difference between a good union and a bad one. Overall it is far better to have a wall to wall contract rather than a bunch of different unions in a workplace.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

sitting around for 8 months waiting for a government handout is disturbing. I trust that you had a valid reason?

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
One reason the recent revelation that some folks can't afford her hydro came as a shock to wynne, she only rubs elbows with well paid unionized public 'servants' and bureaucrats thus she thinks $100k is an average income.. paltry but livable, private sector peons are foreign to her.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Pretty soon there won't be any privacy at all
let alone a whole sector...

sitting around for 8 months waiting for a government handout is disturbing. I trust that you had a valid reason?
you work you expects to git payed no?
they effed up and had to come good

and ALSO if i had just sat around for that 8 mo and NOT worked my A$$ off
and fixed what they screwed up myself
I'd be dead
Ive posted to that effect on a couple threads

Last edited:

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
You don't say.

Laval University professor Stephen Gordon makes a telling point in a recent column on the state of Canada’s labour unions.

“More than 60 per cent of union members outside Quebec (and 52 per cent in Quebec) work in the public sector,” he writes. “The workforce is becoming increasingly polarized into two groups: non-unionized private-sector workers and unionized public-sector workers. More than five out of every six Canadian workers fall into one of these two categories.”

Gordon’s point is that with unions so heavily concentrated among employees on the public payroll, Canadians may increasingly see them as a force for the entrenched privileges those workers enjoy: guaranteed pensions, generous benefits, superior job protection, etc.

But there’s also this: while unions enjoy portraying themselves as a bulwark of fairness against the pervasive greed of the one per cent, their real target is rarely Canada’s wealthy. The pain of their actions is overwhelmingly inflicted on fellow wage-earners, not the rich.

Unions have been losing ground in the private sector for some time. The percentage of private-sector workers represented by a union has fallen below 14 per cent, or about one in seven. Instead, union membership is heavily concentrated in the public sector: 75 per cent across Canada and 82 per cent in Quebec. So when unions demand more money, better conditions and expanded benefits on top of those they already enjoy, they’re not waving their placards at a bunch of cigar-smoking plutocrats in plush corner offices. They’re demanding a bigger share of the public purse from governments, which means taxpayers, which means everyday working stiffs.

This is a very inconvenient fact for union bosses. It undermines their portrayal of the working universe as an ongoing clash between haves and have-nots, and the justification they offer for their continued existence. If the world isn’t divided into the grasping rich and disadvantaged underclasses, who is the enemy? If unions find themselves constantly in confrontation with public employers, it pits them, not against a privileged few, but against the broader public, most of whom face just as great a struggle to get by in a difficult world as the union’s own members.

mo

Kelly McParland: For public sector unions, the enemy is you | National Post
Stephan Gordan sounds like some kind of political bedfellow and has used his credibility of his occupation to enable others to think he knows what he is talking about.
I question if Mr Gordanis a paid lobbyist or a wanat be lobbyist,or I have further wonders if Mr.Gordan is setting a path of hate,purposefully and with intention generating falsehoods.
I live amongst hate,articles like his make my life difficult,articles like his are so outdated and filled with obvious intent
Mr Gordan knows nothing about Unions and I don't care how many degrees he holds,he knows sh I t!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Stephan Gordan sounds like some kind of political bedfellow and has used his credibility of his occupation to enable others to think he knows what he is talking about.
I question if Mr Gordanis a paid lobbyist or a wanat be lobbyist,or I have further wonders if Mr.Gordan is setting a path of hate,purposefully and with intention generating falsehoods.
I live amongst hate,articles like his make my life difficult,articles like his are so outdated and filled with obvious intent
Mr Gordan knows nothing about Unions and I don't care how many degrees he holds,he knows sh I t!

Actually, he's quite correct.

It's an unfortunate fact now-a-days and with some governments (ON, QU and AB especially) the public sector unions are really quite out of control. These unions feel they are "entitled" and they know that the funds are basically "unlimited" since the tax payers have to pay; as opposed to the private sector unions - demand too much and the business goes under. Taxpayers are now left holding the bag with a humongous debt for pensions that we have no way of covering down the road which means incurring more debt for the next generations to come. "Reason" doesn't exist with these Unions only greed as far as I can see.

Over the years, politicians of all stripes both Federal and Provincial have let Canadians down by bowing to demands we have no way of meeting in the long-term.

JMHO

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
So, the only reason this took 8 months is because the worker was unionized and therefore lazy?

Buddy, if you ever did that mount of work in eight months in the private sector do you honestly think you would still have a freakin job?

PS to the last post there
So, what the fikk do you do for your HANDOUTS bub?
If you think tuning in some dim effers that would criminally screw you
and laugh all the way to the bank is a handout
have I got news for you

By the time I'm done
One third of a whole sector of government/and teat suckers that don't deserve to be there
won't be

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

It's an unfortunate fact now-a-days and with some governments (ON, QU and AB especially) the public sector unions are really quite out of control. These unions feel they are "entitled" and they know that the funds are basically "unlimited" since the tax payers have to pay; as opposed to the private sector unions - demand too much and the business goes under. Taxpayers are now left holding the bag with a humongous debt for pensions that we have no way of covering down the road which means incurring more debt for the next generations to come. "Reason" doesn't exist with these Unions only greed as far as I can see.

Over the years, politicians of all stripes both Federal and Provincial have let Canadians down by bowing to demands we have no way of meeting in the long-term.

JMHO
Bureaucrats negotiate with the union using taxpayer dollars . If the union gets a raise the bureaucrats also get a raise . Who thinks the bureaucrats have the taxpayer's best interest at heart .

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Buddy, if you ever did that mount of work in eight months in the private sector do you honestly think you would still have a freakin job?

So, you think the only task this person had to do for 8 months was process your paperwork? Does that mean there's one civil servant for every citizen in every department?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
One reason the recent revelation that some folks can't afford her hydro came as a shock to wynne, she only rubs elbows with well paid unionized public 'servants' and bureaucrats thus she thinks $100k is an average income.. paltry but livable, private sector peons are foreign to her.
Strap-ons are very affordable in the Dyke-bitch's circle of friends.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
PS to the last post there
So, what the fikk do you do for your HANDOUTS bub?
I work and pay taxes. I enable the handouts. Handouts are far from the worse things that my taxes go towards.

But, recently, I told a healthy 23 year old with a wife and 2 children( all on welfare), "Buddy, you need to get a better plan. Relying on the government or charity may be necessary at the moment, but it really is good advice for me to tell you to get off your ****"

God help him, if there is ever a real world equivalent to a zombie apocolypse( ie a depression, a war, another hurricane Katrina, etc).

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.

JMHO
Olive branch,or just blowing smoke?
Do your homework,then we will talk

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
What are you asking Dixie Cup?or get it out there,what do you mean?
As you recall ,illiteracy is the label designated to myself
Let me know,my shortcomings are blinded by your gracious intervention.

Blowing smoke,I said it again