Majority of Canadians say political correctness has “ gone too far ”

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
J.J. McCullough ‏@JJ_McCullough

A weird editorial in which the Globe and Mail struggles to grasp the concept that not everyone in Canada is happy.

The threat of political correctness, real and imagined

Has political correctness gone too far in Canada? Are Canadians too quick to take offence? Is Donald Trump’s rise to Republican presidential candidate somehow connected to this?

The Angus Reid Institute, a “not-for-profit, non-partisan public opinion research organization,” released a poll this week that raised these questions. Its findings are startling and important.

The survey of 1,510 people found that two-thirds of Canadians (67 per cent) believe that “too many people are easily offended these days over the language others use.” Three-quarters (76 per cent) believe “political correctness has gone too far.” Eighty per cent say, “These days, it seems like you can’t say anything without someone feeling offended.”

more obviousness here

The threat of political correctness, real and imagined - The Globe and Mail

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2016.08.27-Political-CorrectnessFinal.pdf

Nikki66

Jul 15, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It has. When you can't even celebrate your own tradition in fear of offending another yet put up with other cultures who don't want to live as Canadians live, that's too far. Yes I still say Christmas, waiter and waitress and steward and stewardess. I really don't care what insecure activists with no jobs think. This is the way it has been for centuries and it is the way I will continue to be. There is a saying my father always told me. "when in Rome do as Romans do" and it's true. If we go to another country we have to follow their rules and laws, well same goes for here. Don't come into my home and refurnish it. People who are offended by everything are insecure and should seek counseling or just stay where they are comfortable. I believe everyone has value and is equal and I will not alter my beliefs because someone decides it's offensive to say Merry Christmas or anything else. My father and grandfather fraught for our freedom to live and let live. I'm not going to let anyone take that away from me. Live how you will just don't break the law, that's all I care about. It's selfish of people to call it political correctness in the name of offending someone. I'm so tired of this stupidity.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
J.J. McCullough ‏@JJ_McCullough

A weird editorial in which the Globe and Mail struggles to grasp the concept that not everyone in Canada is happy.

The threat of political correctness, real and imagined

Has political correctness gone too far in Canada? Are Canadians too quick to take offence? Is Donald Trump’s rise to Republican presidential candidate somehow connected to this?

The Angus Reid Institute, a “not-for-profit, non-partisan public opinion research organization,” released a poll this week that raised these questions. Its findings are startling and important.

The survey of 1,510 people found that two-thirds of Canadians (67 per cent) believe that “too many people are easily offended these days over the language others use.” Three-quarters (76 per cent) believe “political correctness has gone too far.” Eighty per cent say, “These days, it seems like you can’t say anything without someone feeling offended.”

more obviousness here

The threat of political correctness, real and imagined - The Globe and Mail

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2016.08.27-Political-CorrectnessFinal.pdf

Looks like most Canadians are alt right racist bastards!!!!!! They must be publicly shamed immediately, Mentalfart ??

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Does this mean I can really say what I feel about white people in public again........?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Does this mean I can really say what I feel about white people in public again........?

This means it's the only time in history you can do that without getting killed on the spot.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It has. When you can't even celebrate your own tradition in fear of offending another yet put up with other cultures who don't want to live as Canadians live, that's too far. Yes I still say Christmas, waiter and waitress and steward and stewardess. I really don't care what insecure activists with no jobs think.
Then what are you complaining about?

This is the way it has been for centuries and it is the way I will continue to be. There is a saying my father always told me. "when in Rome do as Romans do" and it's true. If we go to another country we have to follow their rules and laws, well same goes for here.
So tradition trumps all? Cool. Let's disenfranchise women.

Don't come into my home and refurnish it.
Don't presume ownership of what ain't yours.

People who are offended by everything are insecure and should seek counseling or just stay where they are comfortable. I believe everyone has value and is equal and I will not alter my beliefs because someone decides it's offensive to say Merry Christmas or anything else. My father and grandfather fraught for our freedom to live and let live. I'm not going to let anyone take that away from me. Live how you will just don't break the law, that's all I care about. It's selfish of people to call it political correctness in the name of offending someone. I'm so tired of this stupidity.
The biggest whiners of all are those who, like you, are offended by the offended. Back to your original statement above, if you don't care what they think, why are you so angry and afraid?

Nikki66

Jul 15, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's got nothing to do with racism, it's got to do with respecting each other. While there are things that should definitely not be said let alone thought of, there are also innocent things people say that have no malicious intent what so ever yet someone gets offended. The argument "so I can go around saying what I want" is also not reasonable because it lacks respect. In some ways I believe "taking offense" is a form of nonacceptance. There are many people in this world and in Canada, sometimes it's not always about "My Rights" you have to think about others rights too. I am far from an angry person, quite the opposite and I rarely get offended by anything. I accept other opinions and don't believe in picking fights. Live and let live.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
heh..."Its findings are startling and important" Really? Startling to whom?

"policed by unnamed forces"... Like "human rights" tribunals?

fortunately, when things are forced too far in one direction, they swing back hard and fast in the other direction (see Trumpism vs decades of excessive American political fukkery and our sunny shirtless from the heart way selfies here).

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
As a white male, who am I to judge?
I'm offended that you are white, and admitting it!

Problem is, someone makes a fringe PC claim and the gun party bloggers write a million posts about it. More hype than anything in reality.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
It has. When you can't even celebrate your own tradition in fear of offending another yet put up with other cultures who don't want to live as Canadians live, that's too far. Yes I still say Christmas, waiter and waitress and steward and stewardess. I really don't care what insecure activists with no jobs think. This is the way it has been for centuries and it is the way I will continue to be. There is a saying my father always told me. "when in Rome do as Romans do" and it's true. If we go to another country we have to follow their rules and laws, well same goes for here. Don't come into my home and refurnish it. People who are offended by everything are insecure and should seek counseling or just stay where they are comfortable. I believe everyone has value and is equal and I will not alter my beliefs because someone decides it's offensive to say Merry Christmas or anything else. My father and grandfather fraught for our freedom to live and let live. I'm not going to let anyone take that away from me. Live how you will just don't break the law, that's all I care about. It's selfish of people to call it political correctness in the name of offending someone. I'm so tired of this stupidity.
You need to get out of your fathers basement!
NOW!

As a white male, who am I to judge?
Troll